Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: BT ADSL2?  (Read 32753 times)

Ash888

Re: BT ADSL2?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »

just to update...i was getting 10666 on speed tests before last friday, all of a sudden the line rate dropped to around 12000 and the speed dropped by 1mb too 9666.
i left it over the weekend to see if it went back at all but it didnt.

today i checked and its back up to 10666, i guess its due to the line settling.

im happy with the speeds, but i decided to check o2 and be broadband again today, as i was considering them before i renewed with bt.
and they are now offerend LLU service in my area which i am now gutted about as i can not cancel my contract.

i had a feeling that 02 and be would be enabled on my exchange at the same time that bt upgraded to adsl2. they did but only confirmed it on the 15th april. which is a shame because i really wanted to jump to BE.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 01:53:34 PM »

Its not unusual for the line speeds to vary - they always will as its dependant upon your SNR.  My own SNR has dropped quite a bit over the past few weeks.

Something that I have noticed on my own line is that it is often worse during school holidays etc where it will stay lower...  this could be due to the fact that the neighbours are home more using their electrical stuff.. or it could be that more users are online during the holidays therefore this will increase something called crosstalk which cant really be avoided.

Be/O2 upgrading exchanges are completely independent of any 21CN roll outs, its entirely up to the LLU ISP as and when they fit their equipment in what exchanges.
Be/o2 seem to do a 'batch' in certain areas, whilst 21CN seem to be going on their own rules.. probably the largest first, although from what Ive seen it is in general being done first in those exchanges which were the first to be adsl enabled rather than location.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ash888

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 08:59:54 PM »

another thing i forgot to mention, my line rate drops overnight, during the day it is over 13000 usually around 13495. but in the morning when i check at around 7-9am it goes down to 12000 usually a whole 1000 drop from whatever the rate was during the day.

but when i restart the router in the morning,  it goes back above the 13000 mark. any ideas? this never used to happen before on normal adsl line, it was always fixed at 8616.

i think i should be over the stabilization period...line was active on the 7th.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 09:10:58 PM »

Ash, that's pretty normal.
On your 8meg service you were well within the limits so always got the same (top) speed.
With ADSL2+ your line gets the best it can, which is not the full 24mbps. A major factor affecting speed is external electrical interference which is commonly worse in the evening, significant overnight and lowest in the morning. So, if your router resyncs for any reason it will typically get a better speed in the morning than evening/night.
It's probably best to resync it mid-evening (9pm ish) then just leave it and hope it stays stably connected. If it doesn't there may be a problem.
If I resync my ADSL2+ line mid-evening it stays connected for weeks (at around 21mbps - currently 20.8 ). If I connect in the morning it may last a few days at 22meg or so, but more likely than not disconnects early one evening and resyncs slower.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:15:30 PM by HPsauce »

Ash888

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 11:32:09 AM »

thanks HP

its a bit frustrating thats all, im just trying to make sure im getting the best speed i can get...i spoke to bt last week and they did confirm that they are offering upto 20mb with adsl2. and he was putting it down to an old line coming to my area which is the problem as to why im getting around 10 instead of nearer 20mb.

im 1.9km from the exchage and with normal adsl i was getting 6.3 out of 8. around 75% now im getting 10 out of 20 actually less than half as its uaully around 9.

its great that your getting 20mb, are you with bt? and how far are you from your exchange.

my old flat is 3km away in the opposite direction from the exchange and where i live...when i do a line test on that it says 17mb.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 01:33:47 PM »

I'm about 1km from the exchange but my line is about 50% longer than that.
Not BT, and they don't even have a date of any sort for my exchange related to 21CN or ADSL2+.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 06:07:47 PM »

A 27db line in good condition (check all your wiring etc) as a guide would be expected to get somewhere around 16.5 Mbps tops.

Because of the line length its highly unlikely to get the full 20Mb im afraid.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ash888

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 07:20:59 AM »

Thanks for all your help guys, well after a few more weeks, i managed to get BT to let me go and im switching to BE next week, so fingers crossed i wont have any problems.

BT had always been stable for me, but the adsl2 line was fluctuating too much, i was syncing at 13000 and getting download speeds of 5.3?!
i had to reboot the router to get 9.6mb back.
and my upload would go from 855 to 448 and back again with the upstream noise margin at 23!

the other thing is, BE are estimating my line at 8mb, even though i am getting more. im not too bothered about this, as i think i will stay on about the same, obviously hoping for more but not getting my hopes up.

my line attenuation is really bugging me though, i dont think it should be that high. theres not a lot i can do if its an old or poor quality line but does any one know who i can contact to get them to check it out? without any ridiculous fees.  in terms of wiring in my flat, all sockets give me the same result, and there is no master or test socket behind any of them.

il let you know how BE is when im active.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2009, 03:17:46 PM »

Hi
quote : and there is no master or test socket behind any of them.

You should have one master socket. if its the older type then you should be able to identify it ,it has a capacitor in it . see this link
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm   "No NTE5 Master Socket?" section .

Regards Jeff
zen user

Ash888

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 10:07:08 AM »

ah, i found it, it was in one of the cupboards, with all the other junction boxes, for satellite feeds etc.

after connecting the router to the test socket are removing wires 3 and 4. the downstream sync went up to 15300 and the attenuation dropped from 27 to 26.5.
but the throughput was still at 9.6mb. that was yesterday and my upload jumps between 448 and 855 everyday, usually overnight. and the upload noise also goes from around 7 to 24.

this morning, the sync is fine 15300 down and 855 up. noise is also fine. and the throughput is up to 12.5 which i suppose is right for a 15000 sync.

i should be syncing at 17/18000 iv seen people with 27db on those syncs.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »

Hi

quote from KitZ
A 27db line in good condition (check all your wiring etc) as a guide would be expected to get somewhere around 16.5 Mbps tops.

NOTE good condition .You are doing well

i should be syncing at 17/18000 iv seen people with 27db on those syncs.

I think you are a little optimistic .That May happen with exceptionally quiet Lines and perhaps tweaking  lower SNR .Don't forget it is dependent not only on Attenuation but on SNR margin BTW what is yours?

throughput is up to 12.5 that seems a little low your profile should be about 14Mbps

Regards Jeff
zen user

Ash888

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 07:46:18 AM »

thanks jeff, i dont mean to come across as greedy, im not, but i just get the feeling that theres a problem with my line.

this morning im getting different results again.
sync has dropped again to around 12000, throughput at 10.1mb.

noise margin has been constantly fluctuating since moving from adsl max, where it was constant at 6/7
adsl2 varies through the day from as low as 5 to as high as 12. right now its on 12.5 along with the drop in sync. normally between 7/8 though.

im currently getting out of BT and migrating to BE this week, should be wednesday. so im going see what happens when im active with BE.
as you say i can then tweak snr and see what i get. but hopefully BE can get the settings right from the start.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »

Hi
Good luck with your change over .  :)

Regards jeff
zen user

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2009, 03:57:17 PM »

Ash888,

I have a similar problem to you on my line, although I am not on ADSL.

My line is very noisy, and therefore although I could probably easily sync at 8128kbps I only manage about 7200kbps with a stable and steady connection.

Although your attenuation is 27dB (mine is 30dB), as Kitz says, it doesn't mean that it isn't noise free, not many lines are, except the very very short ones.

The reason you aren't seeing the speeds you expect could be due to some noise when you last synced up, it could be the SNR Margin - which in your case relates to BTs DLM.

If you could post your complete line stats, SNR Margin, sync, etc, we will take a look at them for you :D

Hopefully you will be able to tweak your line more when you get onto Be*, but it doesn't mean that you will get the speeds estimated, as they are just estimated :D

Let us know how it goes :)

Regards

Jamie
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Ash888

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 06:54:19 PM »

thanks guys i will definitely report back on my experience with BE once im live.

for now my stats are showing:

data rate(down/up) 14362 / 855
noise margin(down/up) 11.6 / 6.6
power (down/up) 21.3 / 12.4
attenuation(down/up) 27.0 / 12.8

i had a play around with the test socket after the sync dropped this morning. and it would only go upto 14000 and not in the 15000's as it was before.
and the noise was still at around 12 and has stayed up there.

1 thing i notices. the adsl filter i am using is an old BT one which i got when i was probably on 5mb. i got the new ones wit the home hub and more with the BE box, (those filters are the same) i tried the newer ones but they sync at 13000 where as the older one syncd at 14000. the noise remained the same with all filters, no improvement with newer ones.

i understand the issue of noisy lines, well so far the BE customer service has been excellent and other people having been having similar issues which have been resolved.
they will send out a bt engineer to look at the line if they cant resolve it with a few tweaks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6