Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT Billing Confusion.  (Read 9411 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
BT Billing Confusion.
« on: April 06, 2009, 10:11:11 AM »

Last June I signed up for the 'free evening and weekend call package' from BT on a 12 month contract,a saving of £2.70 a month.The last credit was applied to my March bill.
I thought,wait a minute,from my July bill to March bill is only 9 months yet they have stated I have had my full twelve months.After numerous email exchanges and phone calls some one from BT Indian support has just called me and after checking back it turns out that on your first months billing they give you 4 months credit.  :-X . So that is why I have had my twelve credits.
In a way its my fault because I have only saved copies of my last six bills so I forgot about the four months credit on my July bill.
My contract runs out on the 2nd of June and BT have just confirmed they will write to me in May stating if I want to cancel I must let them know or the will automatically renew it again.
I'm cancelling because when my BB with BT expires in October I'm thinking of either moving my BB and line rental to Plusnet(I know they have 18 month contracts)But @ £15.74 for BB,Line rental and evening and weekend calls it seems like a good deal.
My other option is to leave my line rental with BT and move my BB over to Newnet,who I have heard  some very good reports about.
Just to finish,you need a degree to understand your BT bill .

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Billing Confusion.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 10:47:22 AM »

>> My contract runs out on the 2nd of June and BT have just confirmed they will write to me in May stating if I want to cancel I must let them know or the will automatically renew it again

The rolling BT contract is one of the things that I object to and why I said No and told them so...
it makes it even more complicated when your phone is on one contract length and your broadband on another.   This makes moving to a new combined package elsewhere a bit more difficult and I wouldnt be too surprised if this is the idea behind it.   :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 11:06:01 AM »

it makes it even more complicated when your phone is on one contract length and your broadband on another.   This makes moving to a new combined package elsewhere a bit more difficult and I wouldnt be too surprised if this is the idea behind it.   :(

Thats right Kitz,that is the reason I am cancelling.I want to be able to move everything in October without being tied in till June 2010 with my landline.
You still get free weekend calls with their basic line rental and any evening calls can made via my mobile as I get 200 anytime minutes with Virgin.

http://tinyurl.com/dd3dpe

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 05:54:42 PM »

Exactly - what do you do when your contract expires and the other one doesnt tie in?
 They know it gets complicated and they hope that users will forget or cant be bothered.    :mad:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:34:43 AM »

Hi all,

I have just read my latest bill online from BT and have just seen this.

Your special offer or deal will be renewed

The above special offer or deal will automatically be renewed on 02 June 09. If you do not wish to have your contract renewed at the end of your minimum period, please contact 0800 345 7309 before this date.

No email to tell me,so if I hadn't looked at my latest bill I would not have known.They don't make it easy do they..... >:(

Needless to say I shall be phoning up to cancel it.

I can still get free weekend calls and for the the evening calls I can use the inclusive minutes on my mobile.(I always have plenty left at the end of each month)

Edit,just sent an email to cancel and had a very prompt reply back saying that when my contract expires it will not be renewed.

Edit 2, Have I been blessed with a royal reply.

Response (Prince Vinoth Arockia Rajan)
   :D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:56:33 AM by UncleUB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 09:53:41 AM »

>> No email to tell me,so if I hadn't looked at my latest bill I would not have known

hmmmm  thats not good :/

>> Prince Vinoth Arockia Rajan)

:lol:

-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 10:05:09 AM »

One thing I don't like is when you first take out the 12 month contract your first bill has 3 months credit on it not one.

I have decided not to renew as I might go with Plusnet in September and if I do I will move the line rental over as well.

Tbh,I am still swaying  towards Newnet,its purely a cost thing.Saying that I can get 3GB with Newnet for £12.67 a month,I would just need to buy a decent router.
As they have only 1 month contracts,I could easily migrate somewhere else.............watch this space.  ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »

@ unkyUb............please do not hesitate to contact me if you need help in setting up your new router..... :lol:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:20:03 AM »

@ unkyUb............please do not hesitate to contact me if you need help in setting up your new router..... :lol:

Why do you think I joined R.D.A S.   :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 10:21:56 AM »

:lol:
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 04:08:37 PM »

@ unkyUb

"Tbh,I am still swaying  towards Newnet,its purely a cost thing.Saying that I can get 3GB with Newnet for £12.67 a month,I would just need to buy a decent router.
As they have only 1 month contracts,I could easily migrate somewhere else.............watch this space"

I got that impression from their website, unkyUb, and read it as you have.
However, I was speaking to a young lady at Newnet this afternoon ( with a view to a possible move) and she told me that there is a minimum twelve month contract in place and that the per month quote is merely that they will collect their fee monthly rather than annually, if you want.

I'm a bit confused now............perhaps roseway, who I understand is a Newnet customer, can comment.

By the way, unkyUb, if you and/or myself migrate to Newnet and declare ourselves as being introduced to them by roseway, then he gets some free connection time.....one month per intro........not bad.  :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 04:22:36 PM »

The Newnet package which Unc is interested in (Home Lite [3 GB]) has an option of a monthly contract or a slightly cheaper annual contract. See the pricing here.

The cheapest package (Home Lite 12 [1 GB]) has an annual contract only.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 04:33:32 PM »

But that page does not state that the Home Lite package is based on a monthly contract................only that the payments carry the monthly or annual option.

Monthly payments do not equate to a monthly contract..........but rather, in this case, an annual contract where fees can be collected monthly if you wish.............hire purchase in effect.

To quote " (monthly cost) * Monthly equivalent - annual cost divided by 12."

Worried about this, they are/were one of my two first choices.... :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 04:45:47 PM »

AFAIK Newnet have always offered 2 payment options. - Monthly or Annually, with the annual being slightly cheaper.
On that package the monthly payment is £12.67.. and its a monthly contract.

Home Lite with 3GB  data transfer

Monthly fee     £12.67
Annual fee    £140.35
Switch to NewNet    FREE

# 512k to 8meg download speed
# Up to 448kbps upload speed
# 3GB monthly data transfer
# FREE setup if you switch from another ISP
   (Normal price £11+VAT)
# FREE email anti-virus & anti-spam
# 10 POP3 mailboxes
# Webmail (access your mail anywhere)
# Monthly contract

Home LITE 12 with 1GB data transfer is an annual contract.

Monthly fee     £10.72
Annual fee    £116.86
Switch to NewNet    FREE

# 512k to 8meg download speed
# Up to 448kbps upload speed
# 1GB monthly data transfer
# FREE setup if you switch from another ISP
   (Normal price £11+VAT)
# FREE email anti-virus & anti-spam
# 10 POP3 mailboxes
# Webmail (access your mail anywhere)
# Annual contract
-----

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »

Oooops.............I stand corrected.  :-[

Thank you for that clarification.
Pages: [1] 2