Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Using a Proxy with 2 PC's connected  (Read 5981 times)

canon

• Reg Member
Using a Proxy with 2 PC's connected
« on: May 21, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »

I've just set up and connected a 2nd PC to a Netgear DG834 to connect to the internet (Metronet).
The first PC had IE set up to use the Metronet Proxy server on port 80. I did the same with the second PC but then it's not possible to open web pages on that PC.
What have I done wrong - this network stuff is all a bit new to me!?
Attached is the Windows diagnostic file - the main problem seems to be error "12007 The server name or address could not be resolved ".
Thanks,
Terry.

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Using a Proxy with 2 PC's connected
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 03:01:18 PM »

terry just a quickie before I go out.

If you have the settings on the 2nd the same as the first ---

In view of the fact those results are all coming back as M$ and hotmail - could it be an MTU problem on that machine?
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 03:11:42 PM »

In your Diagnostic log, I notice that the HTTP / HTTPS proxy server is set to "proxy.metronet" - should that be proxy.metronet.co.uk ?
Chris

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 04:18:07 PM »

In your Diagnostic log, I notice that the HTTP / HTTPS proxy server is set to "proxy.metronet" - should that be proxy.metronet.co.uk ?
Whoops, that could be the problem! it'll be tomorrow before I can check together with: -
In view of the fact those results are all coming back as M$ and hotmail - could it be an MTU problem on that machine?
I'd set the first PC with DRTCP to MTU 1430; this is what I have at home after doing the checks etc. recommended on this site as I assumed it was a similar connection. However, I didn't get round to setting the second PC! I need to do it whatever to optimise the connection.
Terry.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 12:38:40 AM »

Well spotted chris

>> I'd set the first PC with DRTCP to MTU 1430;

MTU of 1430 is what I normally recommend.

Windows default is 1500, which causes problems with a lot of sites if the MTU is set lower somewhere along the line.  The MTU on the PC should either be the same as, (or less than) any MTU set in the router otherwise you will have problems with certain sites.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 04:41:14 PM »

:-[ it was a typo that caused the problem - thanks for spotting that. All ok now with the full name of the proxy server.

Regarding MTU: -
This second PC is on the end of a 40M Ethernet cable from the router and I did the ping tests and got a maximum value of 1430b thus giving a MTU to set of 1458b.
The other PC (and I checked again) gives a max of 1402b to give the 'usual' 1430b MTU value to set.
I wondered why the 2 values are different; I will check the second again though.
The WAN set up page on the router (DG834) says the MTU is 1458b; mine at home says 1500. I've not actually set these values in the router.
Does the router 'decide' this value?
Terry.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 07:01:24 PM »

You would normally leave the router MTU at 1500 and make any MTU adjustments on the PC. That way, the router will never fragment packets in either direction. There's no interaction between the two settings.

Eric
  Eric

anything