Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lidl/Aldi Electrical Warranties  (Read 16936 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Lidl/Aldi Electrical Warranties
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »

Just thought I would post a message about electrical appliances bought from these stores.

Most of them come with a 3 year year warranty.

Be warned if anything breaks down the store will tell you to deal with the manufacturer direct who will be based in Germany.

They then will ask you to send the item back to them,and you will have to pay the carriage which could cost more more than the original item price.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Lidl/Aldi Electrical Warranties
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:38:37 AM »

>> They then will ask you to send the item back to them,and you will have to pay the carriage which could cost more more than the original item price.

Thats not good.  I thought the manufacturer was supposed to arrange carriage.  What manufacturer is it?

I know that the Medion PC "Three year warranty", and usually 1 year on-site and the next 2 years are 'return to base'.  If you contact Medion they are supposed to arrange a courier.

This is going back several years now... but when I had a HDD problem I used their return to base system (I managed to convince them it was just the HDD and didnt need the whole PC looking at) and turn around was pretty quick.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »

It depends on how the guarantees are worded of course, but in any event you have the legal protection of the Sale of Goods Act which can't be taken away from you. In practice I think that means that you have something like a one-year legal guarantee which the store you bought the product from must honour.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:52:16 AM »

Thats not good.  I thought the manufacturer was supposed to arrange carriage.  What manufacturer is it?

It was someone I know who bought an electric coolbox,they were told to return it to the address on the coolbox label.It was going to cost more in carriage than what the coolbox cost.
Both Lidl and Aldi have a lot of small electrical appliances that come from Germany.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:54:26 AM »

In addition to the stores direct responsibilities (normally for 12 months as noted) they must spell out explicitly the terms of the manufacturers warranty at time of sale. If not I'd head for Trading Standards!  :police:
I just had a quick look on the Aldi web site and there's only a very brief and vague generic reference to manufacturers extended warranties, nothing specific enough to cover the issue raised here.

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:21:06 AM »

Here with items from Lidl  the manufacturers  collect the item through a carrier, free of charge. 

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 05:06:29 PM »

I believe you can get a partial refund..

If you push hard enough, you may even get more.

Your contract is with the Seller/Shop NOT the manufacturer.

This is from The Sale of Goods act fact sheet.

•  It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

• If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

• For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

• A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

Taken from this site.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

I`ve emboldened a bit which should be relevant.

Might be an idea to print it out & go back with it in your hand, explaining how expensive it`ll be to send it back.

I`m sure I`ve read that Aldi & Lidls are generally pretty good on returns of faulty items.

If you get no joy from the shop, then get onto their HQ, complaints dept.