Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Nikon or Canon  (Read 6482 times)

stevie

• Reg Member
Nikon or Canon
« on: March 15, 2009, 12:45:52 PM »

I`m looking at getting a DSLR.

At the moment I`m looking at either a Nikon D90 or possibly a Canon 40D.

The Nikon has some nice reviews as does the Canon 40D (in some aspects better than the 50D)

I have had a 35mm SLR in the bygone past so I do understand how much better/flexible they are over compacts.

I`m aware that the Nikon has 12MP & the Canon 10MP, but from reviews the Canon seems to be better picture wise or noise wise?

The only thing that puts me off of the Canon is it uses CF cards & everyone seems to moving to SD Cards.

I`ve even looked at breaking the bank & going for the Sony A900, 24 MP, full frame, but from some reviews it has a few disadvantages.

So given a few different budgets what should I choose?

Budgets.... £1,000, £1,500, £2,000, now I think £1,000 is probably what I`ll limit myself to....

A Full frame would be nice, but they are Very costly & really a dream. I`m aware that the Nikon`s don`t come with the remote control software that Canons do (No real issue), I`m aware the D90 has video (No bigger either).

Why do I want one?

Because, I would love to have the flexibility of a DSLR, which I miss using compacts.

What type of Photos?

Good question, nothing specific really so its more a case of a good base camera to start that I can tailor things around, my Stepson has His wedding in a couple of months & I`d love to be able to take some decent Photos <so perhaps start from there>, they don`t have the money for a Pro, so its kind of an investment for them. Years back, my main types of Photos were Portraits & just unusual things I came across, I used to develop my own negs & prints (for those who need to know C41 - IIRC). Long time ago..lol

Money isn`t the driving factor, its more about getting a decent quality of image & yes I`m very aware that no amount of kit will make a good Photo.

Live view might be handy for still life type photos, I think Sony wins Hands down....

Links to the D90 & 40D
Nikon D90
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Cameras%20and%20Lenses/Digital%20SLRs/products/Nikon/D90%20%2018-105mm%20VR%20Lens%20Kit-75332/Show.html

Canon 40D
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Cameras%20and%20Lenses/Digital%20SLRs/products/Canon/EOS%2040D%20%2017-85mm%20IS%20USM%20Lens-66558/Show.html

stevie

• Reg Member
Re: Nikon or Canon
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 07:57:32 PM »

I`ve decided this is the camera I`ll get.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/75390/Show.html

Lens reviews aren`t bad for the lens in the bundle, so it`ll cover everything I need for now.

Need to add a flash... more £`s  :'(

I need to upgrade my PC..... even more £`s   :'(

Oh well, its only money, best not tell the Missus..... :lol:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 07:27:56 AM »

Looks very smart. :)

Although Im afraid I dont know much about cameras - TD is probably our resident expert on them :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »

Both are very good cameras though the Nikon may give more for the money. However, it is looks and feel that may sway it and this is just down to personal judgements.
Reviews here.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2009/01/31/Canon-EOS-50D/p1
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2008/11/28/Nikon-D90-digital-SLR/p1

If you still go for the Canon, same price here but with some extras.
http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Canon_Eos_50D___18_200_is_Canon_lens_717.html

I have used that company before with no problem. Do not be concerned about the CF memory, it is good, robust and usually cheaper than SD cards and a lot of camera manufacturers use it.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 05:51:45 PM »

I actually changed my mind at the last minute....

& went for this...http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Cameras%20and%20Lenses/Digital%20SLRs/products/Canon/EOS%2050D%20%2017-85mm%20IS%20USM%20Lens-75317/Show.html

Same camera, different lens...slightly cheaper, added a 1A filter, Canon gadget bag, LCD screen protection stickers (Always used them) & a 8Gb SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash Card.....Total £1147.50 Collect instore (for something like this I preferred to actually get my grubby mitts on it).

@ Exo ... I did seriously consider the Nikon D90 & even thought about the D700, I`ve had a few Canon`s in the past, a 35mm range finder (Built like a Brick whatsit), a Canon A1 35mm SLR & a Canon A 510 digital camera & none have ever let me done & all have taken great quality Photos....Guess I`m a Canon man..lol

I`ve now got 4 digital cameras...I`ve got 2 nicknames.... @ work I`m the Terminator & at home the Missus calls me Gadget man.... ;D

I`ve only had the thing since yesterday & gotta try & work out all the menus/settings, took a few quick test shots last night, its well worth the money & feels so much better to have a SLR, its faster, feels nice & works.

Next addition is a Battery grip & possibly a Flashgun (expensive...  :'( )....

Nikons are very nice cameras & it was a close choice, but I do like the 50D, it feels really nice & comfortable.

I`ve now gotta learn how to use & understand as many functions/settings as I can in the next 7 weeks, I`ve been assigned to be wedding photographer for my Stepsons wedding....WHY??? Because I was going to buy a better camera than I had....not sure how that works, but hey ho, I`ll do my best.... :baby:

The Mrs`s is the Caterer, WHY? because She offered....

The Mrs`s is also organising the DJ... not too sure why that happened?

She could organise/get a Limo, but She hasn`t offered cause the cost will end up with us... >:(

Oh well enough of my miss fortunes.... ;D

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 10:37:01 PM »

Nice camera though I would have kept the versatility of the 200mm lens given the choice.

Wedding photographs.....................I wish you luck and have a good day.  Do the photo's before sampling the drink!!

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 06:43:40 PM »

Nice camera though I would have kept the versatility of the 200mm lens given the choice.

Wedding photographs.....................I wish you luck and have a good day.  Do the photo's before sampling the drink!!

I think a few beers are required beforehand....steady the hands/nerves...lol

The 200mm zoom does have advantages for future use granted, but I prefer to buy an additional zoom, possibly a 70/75-250/300.

Given that my nickname for them is "2 Fats" (no disrespect those who are overweight - I am), I might just manage with zoom at widest angle...lol

The Missus is disappionted to say the least (a Very big understatement), but He is a grown up & its His decision, the Mrs`s Nickname for Her is Shreck & believe me the resemblance is unbelievable.....

I`ve tried everything to get out of going, but I`ve had my ORDERS..."YOU`RE GOING"....I`m not going on my own!!!!!!!" Oh well..... :lol:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 07:13:54 PM »

>>>but I prefer to buy an additional zoom, possibly a 70/75-250/300.<<<<

Consider the size and weight of that, and how unwieldy it may be at full zoom. Slow aperture too..........can you hand hold it, otherwise a tripod is a must...

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 07:54:28 PM »

>>>but I prefer to buy an additional zoom, possibly a 70/75-250/300.<<<<

Consider the size and weight of that, and how unwieldy it may be at full zoom. Slow aperture too..........can you hand hold it, otherwise a tripod is a must...

Size & weight isn`t really a problem.

Yes a Tripod could be an essential item, but there are ways round that, a Bean bag can act as an impromtu support, squiddy & adjustable to a degree...Improvise...lol

I don`t intend to spend too much on a long zoom, but just have it as a back-up if needed for odd shots.

A slow Aperture is always gonna be a problem with any long zoom, unless you`ve a very big bank balance (which I don`t) so its always a compromise.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 06:30:46 AM »

unless you`ve a very big bank balance (which I don`t) so its always a compromise.

You don't seem to be doing too bad.  ;D

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 06:05:36 PM »

unless you`ve a very big bank balance (which I don`t) so its always a compromise.

You don't seem to be doing too bad.  ;D

Early Birthday pressie from me to me... :lol: