Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Email attachments  (Read 17952 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Email attachments
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 02:23:44 PM »

Edit : I've logged an email with Microsoft Technical Support.

And the best of luck............... :wall:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 02:59:51 PM »

Glad you have resolved the issue, at least in part.... :)

Will be interesting to see any comments you get from Microsoft..

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 06:22:17 PM »

:thumbs: at least its cured !!

regards Jeff
zen user

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2009, 06:35:30 PM »

Yes, cured but not explained......pity because for the short time I used it, I think IE8 is a real improvement.

It must be something in the registry but somehow I doubt that  :angel:Microsoft Technical Support:angel: will confirm that  ;)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 06:55:25 AM »

Have been pondering a bit ( never a good thing for TD to do !)

Did IE8 not introduce a new generation of ActiveX controls ? If so, could that be conflicting with older files ?

Also, I notice that there are two versions of IE8, one for XP, one for Vista...............did you get the correct one ?  :)

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 09:06:53 AM »

Did IE8 not introduce a new generation of ActiveX controls ? If so, could that be conflicting with older files ?

Also, I notice that there are two versions of IE8, one for XP, one for Vista...............did you get the correct one ?  :)

Not sure about new ActiveX, but as I said before, if there is an ActiveX conflict........why just me ?

Yes, definitely downloaded the correct one, I did check that as one of the first possible reasons.

Your earlier comment about the amount of problems reported concerning inability to open attachments seems to indicate a generic coding error that has run through all IE releases affecting various file types. It's now probably buried so deep even Microsoft can't find it.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 06:06:42 PM »

Response from Microsoft.....salient points only :

Here are a few steps that should help us resolve the problem:
Please save the attachment on the desktop and try to open it.
After saving try this option
1. Right click on the jpg file and click on open with and click on browse and select Microsoft 2. Office Picture Manager or Windows Picture and fax Viewer and check the box which reads Always use the selected program to open this kind of file and click on ok

I have responded with a more detailed descriptions of remedial actions taken so far  :D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 08:15:14 AM »

Oh well, at least you got a reply.

It's good of them to suggest a cure that we hadn't thought of.... :lol:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 08:20:39 AM »

They are not connected to BT technical support by any chance  :wall:  :D

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 05:52:33 PM »

Update : this should be good, having read the list of everything that I've checked, MS Technical Support believe a troubleshoot phone call is required  8)..........roll on 2pm tomorrow when a senior Technical Support Engineer will phone me.

It means I have to download IE8 again, which I've just completed and just to satisfy my own curiosity, I tried to open several of the jpg attachments again in the vain hope that something may have "unclogged"...... :no:  :no:  :no:........still can't open them.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 05:10:05 PM »

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Microsoft's Senior Technical Support Engineer decided to email me instead of making the troubleshooting phone call because :

I have checked with my resources that Internet  Explorer 8 is in Beta version. Windows needs some patches to be installed before IE8 is installed. Let's uninstall IE8 and do not install it manually. It will be automatically installed when the patches are installed for Windows XP.

Now that comment regarding it still being in Beta really puzzles me because it appears the trade press think otherwise  :-\   :-\

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2009, 12:19:57 AM »

I dont know if this is relevant or not - but Ive seen several reports of late that perhaps IE8 isnt registering a dll file properly during installation, and that re-registering the dll can speed up IE8.

The dll is actxprxy.dll and some users have noticed a real speed up of IE8 and duplicate tabs after re-registering it - The original article is here.

So thinking about this further...  IE + OE have and share some core dll files, and if any of them arent registered properly then weird things start happening.

There is a long standing issue that OE can sometimes break and stop letting you open webpage links... and theres a well known remedy that re-registering these the dll files fixes the problem in OE. - (See Outlook Express wont open web page links.)

These core dll files are

urlmon.dll
Mshtml.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Shell32.dll
Shdocvw.dll

Now do you see my line of thought? 
If its already known that re-registering actxprxy.dll can speed up IE8... because its assumed that for some reason IE8  needs it to be re-registered....  I wonder if trying to re-register the other dlls will fix anything.

It's a long shot and may not work..  but it certainly wont harm to try.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:26:47 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2009, 09:50:08 AM »

Thanks for that suggestion.

I've re-registered each one except Mshtml.dll because it produced an error message along the lines of :

Mshtml.dll loaded but DllRegisterServer entry point not found

So I proceeded to re-boot but nothing has changed.....jpg attachments still won't open. But is the Mshtml.dll error message significant ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2009, 11:36:04 AM »

Probably not since its targeting hmtl content.

I do think this is possible to have something to do with some file or .dll not being registered properly in a very similar way to which some previous IE updates could break the link for OE to open hmtl files.

Unfortunately though, I dont know enough about IE8 & .dlls to know which ones it could be affecting in this particular case for jpegs.... so I dont want to advise you on something that Im unsure about to take you any further down that path, even though I wouldn't be too surprised if thats where the problem lies.

-----------------------

More clutching at straws - are you using XP?
If so, you could try restoring jpeg file associations. 

** A warning before you do this, that it will have the effect of making Windows Picture & Fax Viewer the default handler for jpegs. If you have image editing software on your PC that was previously the program which opened jpgs,you will later need to reset it from within that program, so that it will handle jpgs by default.

Dougknox (a well known and trusted site for fixing various registry problems), has a repair file for jpegs about half way down his page here. - (Restore the default associations for jpe/jpg/jpeg files)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2009, 12:04:45 PM »

Thanks for all the help on this.

I'm going to follow MS's advice and uninstall IE8, re-install IE7, wait for the patches to be completed then download IE8 during an automatic update in WinXP. I hear this is likely to happen at the end of this month.

Again, thanks for all the learned advice  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything