Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Email attachments  (Read 17904 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Email attachments
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 12:07:44 PM »

Morning.

Oranged before doing that, TD has been pondering again..... :o

You mentioned some posts ago that you had checked your jpg file associations and all was well.

Have you tried to alter the association to make IE7 ( or 8 ) as the default opener, might work and of course you would still be free to manually open in anu prog. you wanted... :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2009, 12:19:44 PM »

hmmm  Ive just been doing a little bit of googling re re mshtml.dll and IE8

From here - Whats wrong with the mshtml dll in ie8?.

Interesting that someone else has noticed that mshtml.dll isnt working  properly on his version of IE8 and it had the effect of not being able to view folder background images (jpgs?)

The more Ive looked into this, more and more I see mention of IE8 incorrectly registering some .dlls and I've also seen mention of it on occasions stopping some images on the local machine that rely on other MS related software from working.

The symptoms are very similar to yours in that the image can be opened standalone but not via the other MS applications such as explorer backgound images, visual search.. and presumably this would also include OE. :/

Unfortunately though I dont seem to have stumbled on a solution. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2009, 01:39:18 PM »

@TD & Kitz

I think the MS response :

I have checked with my resources that Internet  Explorer 8 is in Beta version. Windows needs some patches to be installed before IE8 is installed. Let's uninstall IE8 and do not install it manually. It will be automatically installed when the patches are installed for Windows XP.

indicates enough to me that they know there are problems and the patches are being worked on but I am puzzled that MS are saying it's still in Beta when all other indications are that it is in general release form for manual downloading (as opposed to being in a Windows update).

Anyway as it's only the jpg attachments that are affected (to my knowledge) I'll use IE7 until the bugs are out of IE8......I'm in no hurry.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 02:35:07 PM »

hmm  well hopefully they will have ironed out all the bugs by then  :-X
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »

I had a similar problem,but with .exe files,so i had to edit the registry to allow .exe. The only thing that stops avira free being listed as the top AV is that it doesnt have e-mail scanner.Try this link,if its still open,its for avira premium free for 6 months,which has an e-mail scanner

https://license.avira.com/en/promotion-8821dtghledngvzkrrqr
Always looking for freebie HQ
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything