Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Setting up torrent facility  (Read 4565 times)

robinsteele

• Reg Member
Setting up torrent facility
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »

IM using xp,kaspersky and talktalk with smartax mt882 router.I cannot seem to be able to set up utorrent to download files.Other people ive talked to say theyve just downloaded utorrent and they can download files without setting anything else up.I have looked at help topics about enabling stuff like port forwarding,but it looks too complicated to do.Does anyone know why im failing..........

cheers
Always looking for freebie HQ

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Setting up torrent facility
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:18:17 AM »

Have you got UPnP enabled in the router? It's not essential, but is usually the easiest way to get it working.
  Eric

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:04:28 AM »

Have you got UPnP enabled in the router? It's not essential, but is usually the easiest way to get it working.

You are spot on Eric,thank you so much,thats what the problem was,30 odd hours of misery wiped out as i can do it now.Do you know what settings
i need to change to streamline it for optimum download speed.

1.connection type    xx/????,ive got current set for that
2.upload speed                    ive got 350 set for that
3.download speed               ive got 5500 set for that

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 11:07:58 AM »

>>> IM using .....  talktalk.

Is it that it wont work at all in the evenings?  Last I heard was that TT were shaping p2p/torrents to some extent or other 24/7.
I believe peak time shaping is more or less completely  blocked (0.5 KB/Sec).  Have you tried it at other times of the day to see if its any better?

Edit

saw that you just posted at the same time but left this - since if you have problems again later on this eve, then that is what it could be.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:33:40 AM »

You are spot on Eric,thank you so much,thats what the problem was,30 odd hours of misery wiped out as i can do it now.Do you know what settings
i need to change to streamline it for optimum download speed.

1.connection type    xx/????,ive got current set for that
2.upload speed                    ive got 350 set for that
3.download speed               ive got 5500 set for that

I'm not familiar with utorrent, so I'm not sure what item 1 means, but I guess that it's used to optimise performance for your particular connection. Items 2 and 3 are limits which you set, so as to make sure that torrent activity doesn't totally saturate your connection so you can't use it for anything else. So you would set these to values below the maximum which your connection is capable of.

There's a setup guide here (if you haven't already seen it).

Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 12:32:03 PM »

You can set the upload speed to be throttled back when you are downloading which keeps download speed high and reduces congestion. I don't set a limit on download speed, it is left to download as fast as possible. The limitation is usually the source speed of delivery. My set up uses "Current settings" but I think that reflects my use of download speed throttling. If you have not used torrent downloads before it is considered best practice to leave the downloaded file "seeding" for as long as possible and not remove it as soon as it has finished downloading. My apologies if I am teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!
Tony
Edit I should have said "Current settings" etc  ...Upload speed throttling. Sorry
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:13:16 PM by tonyappuk »

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 01:10:54 PM »

You can set the upload speed to be throttled back when you are downloading which keeps download speed high and reduces congestion. I don't set a limit on download speed, it is left to download as fast as possible. The limitation is usually the source speed of delivery. My set up uses "Current settings" but I think that reflects my use of download speed throttling. If you have not used torrent downloads before it is considered best practice to leave the downloaded file "seeding" for as long as possible and not remove it as soon as it has finished downloading. My apologies if I am teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!
Tony

No guys,all input is appreciated as i dont know much about it.Changing 1 setting(the pnp router) was the difference between failure and success.Having now got it working,im wondering what you guys think is acceptable download speeds/times etc.I imagine these times could vary,maybe like limewire does,but when i tried to test out downloading a 4gb film(the baltimore bullet),it said it would take a week.............

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 01:20:27 PM »

Typical behaviour for a torrent download is that it starts slowly, and over a period of several minutes it builds up in speed as it connects with more seeds. The eventual limitation is the ratio of seeds (uploaders) to leechers (downloaders). If there are lots of leechers and not many seeds the download will be slow, regardless of how your software is configured. That's why tonyappuk mentioned 'best practice' - the whole system depends on cooperation between many users.
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 01:30:57 PM »

If you are being traffic shaped try using the encryption option, I think that was what it was for in the first place but never used it myself.

utorrent should work straight out of the box apart from choosing the port to use and forwarding that port in your router to the omputer running utorrent.

If you are new to torrents and when you have it running find a good ipfilter.dat file.
http://decoding.wordpress.com/2007/05/24/how-to-block-ip-address-ranges-in-utorrent-using-ipfilterdat/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:37:45 PM by BritBrat »

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 07:47:34 AM »

>>> IM using .....  talktalk.

Is it that it wont work at all in the evenings?  Last I heard was that TT were shaping p2p/torrents to some extent or other 24/7.
I believe peak time shaping is more or less completely  blocked (0.5 KB/Sec).  Have you tried it at other times of the day to see if its any better?

Edit

saw that you just posted at the same time but left this - since if you have problems again later on this eve, then that is what it could be.

Yes Kitz,i tried to download a smallish file at midnight and nothing happenned.I imagine everyone is leaving their pcs connected overnight to get torrents etc.

anything