Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Firefox Cookies Deleted  (Read 4870 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Firefox Cookies Deleted
« on: April 07, 2009, 12:46:02 PM »

Over the last few days, maybe a week, I have had to manually log into this site and others, like Rapidshare for instance. The account name and password are still stored but I have had to click the manual log in instead of of it being done automatically. After a bit of Googling I discovered that this happens sometimes and can be due to a file in the Firefox Profile called cookies.sqlite becoming corrupted. Deleting this has cured my problem with no apparent drawbacks. The file is recreated on booting Firefox. Just to be safe I renamed the original file .old so I could go back to it.
This may be well known to the gurus on this forum but I thought it was worth a mention.
Tony

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Firefox Cookies Deleted
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:53:44 PM »

Hi
Just one thing .Deleting that file will delete ALL your cookies . So for example if you are keeping track of speedtests they will probably have disappeared .
Regards Jeff
zen user

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:23:53 PM »

Jeff
That doesn't seem to happen in my case. The cookies are still there somewhere and are recreated when you reboot Firefox.  A bit more investigation shows that all the account names and passwords are stored in encrypted form in signons3.txt in the profile. On my PC there is also a signons2.txt which was created last year. I expect this file is created if there is a major update to Firefox but that's just my supposition. Whatever the detail deleting cookies.sqlite fixed it for me with no adverse effects (SO FAR !)
Tony

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:02:15 PM »

Hi

that's great  :thumbs:
Regards Jeff

Edit  :I think that the signons3.txt file is just the sign on information(username /password) for  sites  that you have selected to be remembered
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 07:48:28 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:24:12 PM »

I was wrong! The fix only lasted a short time after deleting cookies.sqlite. I'm not sure but it probably only lasts until the next reboot of Firefox. I haven't established that yet as it means a few cycles of deleting, signing on, rebooting and retesting and it's not actually stopping the PC working, it's just a nuisance. I think, in my case it may have happened after the recent update to Firefox 3.08. Certainly the Mozilla forum has quite a few complaints about this happening but apart from deleting the cookies.sqlite file and checking for finger trouble in the configuration, no other suggestions. And while some of the correspondents suggest it might coincide with an update, it could be for any update to Firefox 3 not just 3.08. The problem also seems to occur with Firefox 2 so I am at a loss.
Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions I could try. I have run Malwarebytes, Spybot S & D and AVG 8.5 is fully updated and running which hopefully rules out a nasty. The next step is probably a full reinstall of Firefox but I know you can come unstuck with not removing all the old software to start with so not just yet.
Has any helpful Kitizen got the solution, please?
Tony

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 03:36:37 PM »

I'm getting a bit lost now. Nothing new there! After a bit more playing around deleting files, etc and also updating CCCleaner and selectively running it to delete cookies, today Firefox seems to be logging in to sites normally. I see TD thinks that CCCleaner might have been the culprit in his "Pc not shutting down" thread, I'm wondering if my problem might be connected in some way to CCCleaner. I seem to remember I used the tool just before Firefox started to play up and it may be cured after a CCCleaner update. As with all intermittent faults suck it and see is the golden rule so I'll see!
Tony

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 06:12:25 PM »

Hi
I am using FF3.0.8 with No problem fingers crossed  ;)

Seems to be OK  ;)
I don't have >1 signons file !
Might be worth copying your latest signons file  to another name as a backup .If the trouble reoccurs you could compare the two to see if there are any differences .
Regards Jeff
zen user

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 07:05:18 PM »

That's a thought, Jeff. I shall do that. As I said it's a matter of waiting now. Thanks for your interest.
Tony

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »

I'm using  Firefox/3.0.8 without any problems.

I also have

signons2.txt
signons3.txt

which contain and hold the login information for sites that I have selected to be remembered... both files contain similar info although 3.text obviously has a couple of more recent ones.
My obvious assumption would be that signons2 relates to firefox v2, whilst signons3.txt would have been created when I upgraded to firefox v3.

I know it could be a PITA if you have lots of add-ons, but if it was me, I'd be tempted to do a full uninstall and re-install.   :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 12:02:53 AM »

Thanks all for your comments. Since my last posting on 9th. I have had no more problems and I was wondering whether to post an update. Thanks for the nudge. The only thing that I wonder and that I mentioned earlier was the Ccleaner funny. I don't want to cast blame where it's not due but I did use it just before my funnies began and it all came good (Fingers crossed!) after I updated Ccleaner and used it again. I shall use Ccleaner in the future I'm sure because it is a good program and it might just be a case of finger trouble on my part which is happening more and more these days!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 12:51:32 AM »

Glad its sorted anyhow :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker