Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT Reveals First Fibre Optic Broadband Rollout Plans  (Read 13352 times)

stevie

• Reg Member
BT Reveals First Fibre Optic Broadband Rollout Plans
« on: March 21, 2009, 07:18:28 PM »

BT has revealed new information about the roll-out of its £1.5bn programme to deploy super fast fibre optic (Fibre to the Premise/Cabinet, FTTP/C) broadband to as many as 10 million UK homes (40%) by 2012 (original news). Scotland will become one of the first places to benefit from early next year, with more than 34,000 homes and businesses in Edinburgh and Glasgow receiving speeds of up to 40Mbps and potentially 60Mbps.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2009/03/21/bt-reveals-first-fibre-optic-broadband-rollout-plans.html

Its a start.... :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Reveals First Fibre Optic Broadband Rollout Plans
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 12:51:34 PM »

Like you say its a start...   long overdue.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 04:40:46 PM »

My ISP is already offering this as a business connection, but I don't think I will be able to afford the 10's of thousands GBP it costs any time soon!
Regards,
Mick

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 05:33:12 PM »

Why have BT selected the areas that they have ?

See here..........http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/250032/why-is-bt-laying-fibre-on-virgins-cable-territory.html

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 06:16:44 PM »

Just to make matters worse BT have been ignoring us in Ewhurst for over two years, where they asset stripped the exchange in the eighties, but installed a high capacity fibre running right through the village to the Mullard Space Science Laboratory on Holmbury Hill and yet have ignored our requests for FTTC. We continue to struggle with ADSL connections running and extra 3 km from the Cranleigh Exchange leaving the outliers including two schools without any direct ADSL services.

Excuse me but I'm in high grump mode !

Kind regards,
Walter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »

This really pee's me off with BT,Those that already have a fast connection will get an even faster one,and those with slow or no connection will still have little or no connection.  >:(
The trouble is the longer the stretch to run FTTC the bigger the cost,so BT will concentrate on the shorter lines and then say how they have given most of UK a fast ADSL connection. >:(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 08:32:21 PM »

FTTC should bring a very good improvement to a lot of lines... though granted it is going to be very costly.

I dont envisage there being much improvements on shorter lines...  for example on my own line I dont expect to see any improvement at all.

* kitz is also grumpy since my own line has lost about 1.5Mbps in the past few months which I cant get to the bottom of.. and I'm not going to do anything about it with BT or my ISP since they wont take a blind bit of notice. 
I've been watching the speed slowly chipped away at - not sure if its NeXT, FeXT or my neighbours.... or a combo of NeXT + the neighbours :-\

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »

It will however help me as I will get a new E-Side cable ... but sadly rochdale is not on the list yet.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 07:46:02 PM »

A bit more info on the first 29 exchanges to get Fibre...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3912-bt-announce-first-29-exchanges-for-fibre-deployment.html

Just for fun another link....

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3915-is-150meg-from-virgin-going-to-revolutionise-broadband-in-2012.html

I`d hazard a guess Virgin don`t want BT or any other ISPs to have an equivalent product, but what is the normal user gonna gain or need these speeds for?

tuftedduck`s post earlier smacks of Sour grapes by Virgin, they (Virgin) might just have a challenger on their hands & it looks like they don`t like it... :lol:

Why have BT selected the areas that they have ?

See here..........http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/250032/why-is-bt-laying-fibre-on-virgins-cable-territory.html

As I see things its defo a Very Good thing if it challenges Virgin.

If BT were to actually do FFTP rather than FFTC, for every property we`d lead the world & every property would have fast BB, might be a dream & probably will still be a dream in years to come.

Personally, I`d like to see FTTP from BT or a Nationalized Gov type company, which could be sold Wholesale to any company at a fair rate, equal & public prices to all suppliers, it`d then come down to Customer support & extra value items, hosting, email etc, etc... Won`t happen, but hey its worth a dream...

We wouldn`t need sat dishes, wouldn`t need freeview boxes, wouldn`t need aeriels & various other things, it could all be supplied via Fibre...

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »

@stevie

But sadly we have ".... proud guardians of the nation's local access network ...."

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/home.do

provided they can continue to ignore the high cost ones i.e. those who have poor to non-existent broadband.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 08:22:07 PM »

>> smacks of Sour grapes by Virgin, they (Virgin) might just have a challenger on their hands & it looks like they don`t like it

In theory it should be much easier for cable (which is already provided mostly by fibre) to upgrade their networks and theyve not been restricted by the capabilities of the copper wire.

BT having to lay fibre throughout the UK to  (not to just selected cities/towns as with cable) all the cabs is going to be huge.
Last time I checked which was several years ago.. BT had something like in excess of 90,000 green cabs.  I dread to think of the cost of laying new fibre to each of them and installing a mini dslam into every one  :o
-----

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 08:29:14 PM »

>> smacks of Sour grapes by Virgin, they (Virgin) might just have a challenger on their hands & it looks like they don`t like it

In theory it should be much easier for cable (which is already provided mostly by fibre) to upgrade their networks and theyve not been restricted by the capabilities of the copper wire.

BT having to lay fibre throughout the UK to  (not to just selected cities/towns as with cable) all the cabs is going to be huge.
Last time I checked which was several years ago.. BT had something like in excess of 90,000 green cabs.  I dread to think of the cost of laying new fibre to each of them and installing a mini dslam into every one  :o

Likely less than the bail out of the Banks, so seeing as the Government is flush with money...maybe they could pay for this or maybe get the banks to loan Openreach the money... :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 11:59:07 PM »

@kitz

>> BT had something like in excess of 90,000 green cabs.  I dread to think of the cost of laying new fibre to each of them and installing a mini dslam into every one.

Given that many will potentially have several hundred lines, a mains electricity supply and a battery-backed PSU is required along with the new rack of equipment, I expect that many cabinets will require complete replacement with the minimum of downtime for the users. That's quite a tall order and will undoubtedly need additional funding from somewhere.

However that doesn't make it any less vital that it's done as soon as possible and before we have thousands of different mini-systems provided by many different suppliers mushrooming everywhere. Can you just immagine what a maintenance and fault-finding nightmare that woul be ?

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 01:12:18 AM »

>> I expect that many cabinets will require complete replacement

Indeed.  I saw a photo of one about a year or so ago..  the 'green cabs' will now be grey/black i believe.

>> However that doesn't make it any less vital that it's done as soon as possible

Agreed.

>>  before we have thousands of different mini-systems provided by many different suppliers mushrooming everywhere.

I doubt that will happen, its such a mammoth project and so expensive to do so, that theres only BT that would likely be able to fund something like this.

In some countries abroad (I think Oz is one of them - Leo will be able to confirm)...  what happens is that a Telco puts a bid in to install and supply the mini-dslams etc.   
This sounds good in theory.. but theres a big downside as far as choice is concerned for the EU, as it means they can only get phone services and adsl from the company that installed the kit for that estate.

-----

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Pages: [1] 2