Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Reboot message  (Read 24904 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Reboot message
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2009, 12:26:23 PM »

You might find it useful to buy and install an external, powered USB hub to connect all USB devices through. Connect it up after the system has booted and unplug after you power off.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2009, 02:12:26 PM »

@ scottiesmum

Hmm.......sorry to see that your problems are not actually resolved, but glad to see that you have found an effective workaround.  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2009, 02:52:29 PM »

Thanks for that HP  .... that is something I'd thought about; now you've mentioned it I shall give it a whirl  :)

I'm happy enough for now TD  .... as long as the thing boots up without any messages  .....  :fingers: :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »

Just to echo what HP said, USB ports are rather delicate things which are not always reliable. Equipment which takes power from the USB port adds extra strain. A powered USB hub removes that strain, and can be expected to be much more reliable.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »

Thank you Eric ....

.....  is there any particular Hub that I should be looking for perhaps ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2009, 04:07:29 PM »

I've never actually used one (it's one of those things I keep on telling myself I should do :) ) but I would have thought that something like this would be fine.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2009, 04:24:16 PM »

Thank you Eric ....    now I'm really going to show my technical ignorance here  :blush: ....   not having used one of these before -  I assume that there is  a cable into the power supply and a connecting cable into the computer tower via a USB port  ??      Can I also assume that even though my computer's own USB Ports are USB 1  and this hub is a USB 2  that it won't make any difference, because the exterior power is doing the work  ....   I KNOW this will be obvious to everyone else  ... but I just like to have clarification  ::)     :)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2009, 06:27:06 PM »

Hi
I think the only thing is that you will not get the benefit of USB 2 speed but should work OK

some useful tips here
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?threadID=55208
Regards Jeff
zen user

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2009, 06:40:53 PM »

Yes, what Jeff says is right. The hub is backwards compatible with USB1, so if you plug it into a USB1 port on your computer you'll get USB1 performance from it.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2009, 08:13:59 PM »

Thank you both so much   :flower:  ......    wasn't it easier with the quill and parchment   ;D

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »

Heck of a job catching and plucking the bird :lol:
zen user

scottiesmum

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2009, 09:33:25 PM »

:lol:

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2009, 08:14:54 PM »

Not sure of the connection between the BIOS boot message and items installed on the USB hub.
Problems with a USB hub and its connected devices, usually result in XP not loading or crashing.

Certainly worth disconnecting unnecessary hardware on the USB hub to see if that does help.
Keep us posted in due course.

indigobanana

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2009, 12:43:48 PM »

USB 1.1 has a lower power output, if you have power hungry USB devices then it might 'max' out the USB 1.1 power supply? Thats just a guess but may be contributing to your problems. I remember another problem plugging in more than a USB wireless mouse on an old upgraded computer, the thing went beserk and kept coming up with hardware errors (never a BSOD though). And just to clarify, some devices are not compatible at all with USB 2.0 (probably due to the different power requirements).

It might be an idea ot buy a USB 2.0 PCI Card and see if that makes any difference
Jamie :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »

I have had this  same on message on a few occasions, not many, but enough to be a nuisance and now worrying me ....  " Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot
media in selected boot device"
       Previously I have 'fixed' this by pressing F8 and starting in Safe Mode then restarting the system.   However, the last time this happened I took the tower to my computer lady, who plugged in, switched on and all was fine !!   It happened again this morning and I couldn't even get the F8 key to get any response, not the usual choice Safe Mode etc; but I did get a blue pane showing the A (floppy) and D (CD) options.    Finally I decided to trick the machine into thinking it had been taken to my computer lady again  ;) by unplugging everything then re-plugging .... and voila !  all started as normal.    This has happened for the last 2 days (previously there has been a considerable time lapse between this occurring) and it's because it has now done it on two consecutive days that I'm beginning to worry.

I have checked  the Event Viewer for possible information, by going to start/Run, typing  eventvwr and then clicking  the Application menu item and looking  for any  X.   I found a couple of X's and clicked on for further information  .....   strangely these X's appeared the night previous in each case, looking at the time, on close-down...  I then looked at the report which read as follows on each
      the other message is exactly the same except the USB Driver is  e4ldr

I don't know if this has anything to do with the Reboot message or what I need to do if it is, and I'm hoping that someone will be able to explain ...  many, many thanks for any input.  :'(

Just one question on closedown,  my  internet connection    (by ADSL modem)  starts automatically when Windows opens ... should I let this close automatically with Turn Off  OR should I disconnection manually before Turn Off  ?     Again, many thanks.

Sorry for quoting the whole of your original question but thought it may be worth while to do so.
Also for not reading the whole of this thread, so apologies if this has already been mentioned earlier.

Firstly you say it's a tower unit (no problem with that) which I am assuming has USB sockets on the front and rear.

It is quite a common occurance for the rear USB sockets to be 2.x but for the front USB sockets to be 1.x.
So when you took it to your friends, did you also take any device that was plugged into any of the front USB sockets?

If this is the case, then when you get a USB external hub, plug it into one of the sockets on the rear of the PC to maintain your 2.x status on the hub.

edit
Try removing any items that are plugged into the front sockets first (if there are any)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 01:23:56 PM by oldfogy »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6