Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Reboot message  (Read 24905 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Reboot message
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2009, 10:16:23 AM »

HI

Great news  :clap: :clap:

regards Jeff
zen user

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »

:clap: :dance:

I think you've done it, scottiesmum... ;D

I would still change the cmos battery, just to be on the safe side.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2009, 10:23:52 AM »

Perseverance pays off! :clap2: :congrats:
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2009, 10:28:56 AM »

Thank you for the  :clap2:    ..... but I think that should all  be directed at the people on here who offered help.    :)

Your suggestion to replace the battery TD leads me to another question  ::)   how do I know which to buy ?   is there anywhere on the  system where it would be listed OR is it just a case of taking the old one out and asking for one the same ..   no doubt my CL will have them, but just thought it if I went with the info she'd think I knew what I was talking about  ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 11:00:38 AM by scottiesmum »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2009, 10:41:57 AM »

Don't take the old one out and then go somewhere to match it...........you don't want to leave the mobo without a battery for any length of time.
Look at the existing one in situ and jot down the detail on it........then get the new one, then replace, old out new in without delay.

The standard is a CR2023 3Volt lithium, but it may vary mobo by mobo

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2009, 10:48:24 AM »

Your suggestion to replace the batter TD leads me to another question

Is my fish not up to scratch.............. :lol:

Only joking Kate,well done   :thumbs: :congrats:

scottiesmum

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »

:D  can't think what you mean Unc  >:D

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »

Kate this mobo picture shows you what the standard CR2032 battery looks like (amongst other things).

"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2009, 12:36:42 PM »

Thanks very much for  that Floydy    ... I know where to look now  :)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2009, 12:38:55 PM »

Over here the batteries cost about a couple of quid - so I would guess that you shouldn't be paying more than a couple of euros for one.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »

Hi Kate, as I mentioned earlier, use Eusing to clean up the registry.
To be ultra safe, create a system restore point first and the option to use the Eusing Backup facility.

In relation to the boot order, this is controlled by the BIOS software and has nothing to do with XP or whatever O/S you are using. Whilst the two may communicate to some degree on boot up, the XP system restore will have no influence on the boot order. Any changes made to the boot order has to be saved to take effect. This is normally done by pressing the F10 key and confirming the save. Any loss of the saved settings may indicate a failing motherboard battery. This is normally associated with loss of time and date settings or a default to a previous date in the distant past. Excluding a faulty motherboard battery, the fact that your hard drive was missing but later returned to the boot order may indicate a possible hard drive problem or just a dodgy bootup. Far to early to make any judgment yet so do not be overly concerned unless the problem persists, having replaced the battery.

If you are still unsure about altering and saving the BIOS settings, you can either PM me or continue in this post.

scottiesmum

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2009, 07:27:19 PM »

Once again thank you Exo for your input.     Re the loss  time or date settings, I haven't experienced that at all.   

The only thing I'm not sure about now is your reference to the 'saving of the settings'  Now that the three options are shown  Floppy, HD and CD  ...   do I need to go into the BIOS and save those  ?   (I

haven't changed anything myself, they just appeared like that after the system restore) OR do I take it that they are already 'saved'  ?   

I shall keep a close eye on things now and shan't panic   .....  and  I shall do the Eusing clean up, as per your advice.     

I'm very grateful for the time you have taken with this.  :flower:

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2009, 08:01:32 PM »

Hi Kate, as long as your hard drive is showing as an option in the boot order, then there is no need to change or save the BIOS settings.........just leave them alone for now.  Just odd that it went missing for a short period...............may be a dodgy boot or poor HD connection. Just monitor how things go for the next few days and post back if you get any further problems.

scottiesmum

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2009, 09:03:41 PM »

Will do   ...  and thanks !  :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2009, 12:10:29 PM »

update  .....  The other day I had the 'Reboot' message again  ::)  I decided to take the tower to 'my lady' -  plugged in and set up no trouble, BUT of course there were none of the peripheries that I have at home plugged in, ie..  web cam, scanner, modem etc....  After she had spent a while checking several things,   we discussed the cmos battery, but she was of the opinion that this was not the problem.   We discussed possible power surges, but as I have a power surge protector .....   it wasn't that.  Most likely culprit is a USB connection.      I have,  since Monday, discarded the web cam and scanner from the USB ports AND   :fingers: up to now NO problems...... IF I need the web cam I shall just plug it in, likewise for the scanner ... I'm not certain  that this is the problem, but so far so good.   I have switched the computer on and off many times to try it.  We discussed the modem,and she thought it possible that this is the culprit, possibly needing a USB 2 port (mine are all USB 1)  she also thought that perhaps the processor isn't powerful enough for what I have installed .....   but she said to try other options first.  SO  .... for now all is tickety boo.      I hope I haven't tempted fate with this post   :D 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6