Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Reboot message  (Read 24906 times)

scottiesmum

Re: Reboot message
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 03:29:34 PM »

Oh my goodness  !! :o   I have just run the Eusing Free Registry Cleaner  .... just to see what is what and I can't believe that it tells me there are 2396 problems selected for repair . ..  should I just throw in the towel now  ;D       

I shan't post a full list but I can give you a rough idea of what is involved ...

Invalid File or Folder                                  100's of these
Software Location Issue                             5
Invalid Help File                                           2
Missing Shared Dlls                                     LOTS of these
Missing Start up Progs                                 4
Add Remove Prog Issues                            20 approx
Unused File extensions                               3 dozen  approx
Custom control issues                                      ditto
Obsolete Software key                                   30 approx
ActiveX issues                                                     ditto
Missing MRU History List files                               ditto
Installer Reference Issue                                    LOTS
Open With application issues                                15 approx
Windows Server Issue                                           1
Old Start Menu Key                                              LOTS
Missing Short cut Ref                                               ditto
Missing Sound fle                                                     1

I feel like a mother who has neglected her child   :( :o        Do I repair ALL of these  ??   and does this tell you anything (other than I'm in a pickle ?)    I am SO sorry to put all this on here but I really don't know what to do before calling in the " troops ".... :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »

Unplug your PC from the power and open your case. Then clear the CMOS from the jumpers.
Consult your motherboards manual to see how to clear your CMOS. Most motherboard oyu have to change the jumper settings for a few seconds (From Pins 0 and 1 to 1 and 2) or some you need to add a jumper for a few seconds..

When you have cleared the CMOS boot up your PC and enter the BIOS ( by tapping F1 or F2 during the POST) and load "Fail Safe" settings and save. Then left Windows load properly..
If windows loads successfully you can shutdown and go back into the BIOS and load "Default" settings and save and exit.

TD ...    SORRY,  I've only just seen this part of your message   ....  I've not done this yet  ....scaredy       cat  :)     I've found my motherboard manual and am now reading it (for the first time ever !!) to  see if I can tie in your advice with the manual .....  :)         

With the book and your notes TD  I think I could do this   ...  can I do any irreparable damage if I follow all the instructions to the letter    ??    This sounds ridiculous I know, but apart from giving it a clean every so often I don't ever go into the innards !                                                                                                                                                                                                 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:41:46 PM by scottiesmum »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 04:45:02 PM »

For the moment, leave the registry well alone................playing with that program does not "repair" the registry keys...it deletes them.

As to the cmos jumpers, this wee pic. might help.
On the left is the round cemos battery..............to the right of that is a row of three wee pins with a red jumper thingy on them.
Lets call these three wee pins 1, 2 and 3 starting from the left............the red cap is currently on pins 1 and 2.
To reset, take cap off 1 and 2 and put it on 2 and 3 for a minute or so.................then put it back onto 1 and 2.

Should be job done.

Ooooooo, you are having fun... :no:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 04:49:22 PM »

With many motherboards you need to remove the CMOS battery before moving the jumper over to the 'reset' position. If you don't do that you might do irreparable damage.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 04:56:42 PM »

I meant to say that in my above post.

Also, if you are going to go to that length, you may as well put in a new cmos battery at the same time..

But...don't take the old one out and then take it into town to match a new one............identify it, get a new one and then swop old for new. Leaving the thing too long without a battery can again do damage.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »

Based on what you've told us already about your skills and confidence I wouldn't do anything yourself. Let your computer expert do it.

I use the Microsoft registry cleaner every now and again to keep my systems "clean" and it finds a quite a few "problems" most times. The worst I've seen it find (not on my system) had well over 1,000 problems so your result doesn't surprise me, several hundred is very common.
I just ran the Eusing registry scan and it found 743 "problems" on my system, which I know is in good condition, whereas the Microsoft scanner found 188.

A lot of this is just harmless debris, so don't panic.

scottiesmum

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2009, 05:04:50 PM »

I'm going to chicken out of all this  :-[  I DO hope you don't think I've wasted your valuable time  ..... I shall visit my lady tomorrow and arrange for her to come to the house... she can then check the modem connection, COSMOS   ;D   batteries, registry and anything else that takes her fancy .... :D   I really do not feel confident   ...   I'm a wuss !!  as you say in the UK  :lol:

Heartfelt thanks to you all  :flower: :flower: 

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2009, 05:08:33 PM »

Good move, scottiesmum.................now, please join unkyUb in the Wuss Corner ( it's just round from the NC so you will know where it is )......... :D

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2009, 05:10:09 PM »

Do I repair ALL of these  ??   

Yes, Eusing is perfectly safe to trust, but be sure to back up the registry first - Eusing can do this for you.  Once you've done the clear out, give the registry a defragging with this tool:

http://www.registry-clean.net/free-registry-defrag.htm

"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

scottiesmum

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2009, 05:24:20 PM »

Good move, scottiesmum.................now, please join unkyUb in the Wuss Corner ( it's just round from the NC so you will know where it is )......... :D

:lol: :lol:

Thanks Floydy, but as you see I'm not touching anything   ..... ::)

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 05:27:49 PM »

Thanks Floydy, but as you see I'm not touching anything   ..... ::)

Up in the North of England i'd be tempted to call you nesh... but I won't.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2009, 05:42:25 PM »

Charming  :lol:

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:04:26 AM by UncleUB »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2009, 06:49:09 PM »

Hi

if you have had PC for a long time and never cleaned the registry then I am not surprised . It all depends on how many changes you have done . Many of these are just minor faults that clutter up the database . I have used this cleaner and never found a problem . You can select which Items need to be cleaned up .You can also select what to search for .So for example if you wanted you could ignore MRU objects . or you could take the step by step route and look at each group in turn say missing short cuts  .  But if you are unsure then let your expert have a look and no doubt she will be able to advise you best.   :graduate:

Regards Jeff :)
zen user

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2009, 09:10:46 PM »

With reference to Eusing, I would trust the errors it finds and fix them. It will not resolve your current problems but will clean up a lot of erroneous entries. It is not unusual to have a lot of errors in the registry..........just the way Windows operates.  These errors do not normally cause a problem.............just a bloated registry.

Any result for the BIOS boot order check? Any loss of settings may indicate a failing motherboard battery as I mentioned in my first post.

Have you tried disabling your ADSL modem  starting with Windows?
Does the problem persist when manually opening and closing?

Unless your computer lady is offering her services free, it hardly seems worth the expense just for these minor errors but the choice is yours and how confident you feel.

If this is a recent problem regarding the adildr message, have you tried a system restore point.

scottiesmum

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2009, 09:45:36 AM »

Hello  again Exo  !   I am sorry, I thought I'd posted the BIOS info I had eventually found  ...  but I see I didn't  .. apologies !       When I looked at the BIOS in the first instance, I found the Boot Device Priority, which I assume is what Boot Order is  .....  and it listed only 2 items   !!!  as follows :

1st Boot Device         1st Floppy Drive
2nd   "      "                SS LITE-ON CD RW

No mention of HD  ..  which I knew was very strange because I'd seen the link you gave and it showed a typical Boot Order on there ......    last night having read your last post, I did a System Restore back to the 7th March, the day following the installation of the new Modem.   This went through fine.   I then rebooted without any problem at all  !

I then switched off, rebooted and went into the BIOS again, this time  the Boot Device Priority was as follows ;

1st Boot Device         1st Floppy Drive
2nd  "                         PM -HDS    etc.
3rd  "      "                SS LITE-ON CD RW

SO now I have three in the list  ...  but I'm not sure they are  in the correct order.       

I've looked at the Event Viewer this morning and there are no more red x's giving the adildr message.     I have disabled the ADSL auto connect function, it's no hardship to click on connect !

This appears to have sorted out the starting up situation,and from reading everyone's input, is it likely that the Motherboard battery is the problem ? having read your comment about loss of settings, it would appear from the two Boot Order entries above that I had lost a very important setting.

It's very kind of you to consider my computer lady's charges, but they very reasonable and not really an issue.  I would however rather try and sort things out myself, but as I have said I'm not too confident about the innards .. but perhaps I should twiddle a bit and then build up some confidence.  Your comment about them being minor errors cheered me up no end Exo  :)

I haven't touched the registry following  the Eusing results, but as you think I should trust them, and if you are still of that opinion after reading this, I will venture forward and do that.

As you may have gathered the system started up this morning without any hitch or message at all   :)

I 'd be grateful for your thoughts on the above.   Many thanks. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

anything