Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Reboot message  (Read 24899 times)

exo

• Kitizen
Re: Reboot message
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 06:30:17 PM »

Hi Kate, I suspect the Controlsets will vary on each system, depending on what hardware is detected.
Expand ControlSet001 and see if you can locate Services/ADILOADER.
If located, modify as I suggested earlier. Don't forget to create a restore point first.

scottiesmum

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 09:52:17 PM »

I've done the ControlSets 001  003 and Current ControlSet as per your instructions Exo ...   I shall look at the BIOS tomorrow and let you know how I go on. 

TD,  Yes my modem is a Sagem, and strangely enough I thought this might have something to do with the problem at start up because it is a very recently installed  new modem, that is the reason I asked about connecting automatically when Windows Started and whether I should disconnect before closing down !     I've noted what you say about the USB connected items and shall check that tomorrow.

HP  I shall also look at the tool your recommend tomorrow  - I'm going to be busy tomorrow aren't I   ;D   ....   however I am nervous about some of these handy little programmes as I don't really know what I'm doing ( as if you hadn't already gathered that   ::)  )  and I'm always afraid that I may delete the wrong thing and  then I'd vanish into cyberspace oblivion  :'(   

Thanks to all for your input.  I shall keep you 'posted'  :)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »

Hi

because it is a very recently installed  new modem

As a matter of interest what was your old modem ? was that a sagem ?.

Regards Jeff

zen user

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 07:35:19 AM »

It would appear that the "adildr.sys" error is related to your Sagem modem.

As a first step, I would unplug the modem from the usb port, uninstall all the associated software and drivers for that device.......reboot, install again and then plug modem back in.

Worth a try to see what happens... :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 08:58:20 AM »

Agree 100% with "Tufty", delving into the registry should be a last resort.
After doing any removals I'd also run a standard reputable Registry Cleaner. Personally I prefer to use Microsoft's own at: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm
(run a full service scan, choose "customize" and just run the registry scan, it's quite quick)

scottiesmum

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 09:05:22 AM »

Jeff   ... yes, my old modem was a Sagem as well   :)

TD...  I've done that  .....  thank you.   

My biggest worry is this REBOOT message  ...

On my second attempt this morning  to get going, I had black screen with  the Megatrends  Logo  which said  :    Overlocking failed    Press F1 to reconfigure system, Press F2 to load default values and continue.    I opted for F2 and everything set up as normal.     Did I choose the right one  ?  :'( :'(

Does this give any hint as to what might be wrong ?       I'm hoping to be able to spend some time today looking at the links of Exo's and hopefully making sense of it !    I feel a visit to my computer lady coming on ! 

HP   just spotted the red warning that someone was posting  ......  Registry and cleaners make me shudder, but I shall have a look at your link later  ...   Many thanks once again. 

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 09:10:24 AM »

>>>TD...  I've done that  .....  thank you.   <<<<

Has that resolved that particular problem...?

As to the overlocking thing, I think you did the right thing.
Now may be the time to get your hands dirty.

Unplug your PC from the power and open your case. Then clear the CMOS from the jumpers.
Consult your motherboards manual to see how to clear your CMOS. Most motherboard oyu have to change the jumper settings for a few seconds (From Pins 0 and 1 to 1 and 2) or some you need to add a jumper for a few seconds..

When you have cleared the CMOS boot up your PC and enter the BIOS ( by tapping F1 or F2 during the POST) and load "Fail Safe" settings and save. Then left Windows load properly..
If windows loads successfully you can shutdown and go back into the BIOS and load "Default" settings and save and exit.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:20:51 AM by tuftedduck »

scottiesmum

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »

TD  ..    I've just been looking at the Event Viewer  and there are NO  little  x's   .. .     that's good  !!   isn't it  :'(   

BUT   .. there is a yellow warning notice which on clicking I receive this  ...

are all these problems connected  ?  ....  I'm losing the will to live   :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:33:49 AM by scottiesmum »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 09:35:57 AM »

I've just reread this thread from the start and it's quite unusual.
The various problems/symptoms are quite a mixed bag and don't obviously relate to each other.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's an underlying hardware problem, maybe with the motherboard, maybe something not seated properly or a dry joint. Or a faulty BIOS?

If it was my PC I'd be taking the lid off and reseating everything properly for starters. Then doing as suggested and clearing the BIOS and setting it up again; I might even download the latest version and reflash it. :-\

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 09:39:25 AM »

Could it be as simple as a dead cmos battery ?

scottiesmum

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 10:21:12 AM »

HP ..   I'm not confident enough, or knowledgeable enough to go into the innards  :o :o  ....  so I think the best course of action is to take it to my computer lady and see what she can do ......   I wondered about the battery too as TD has said,  (only because I've read that that could be one cause)   ....   if it's that no doubt she will be able to sort that out too  ....

Many thanks to all for your unstinting efforts .....I think the more I twiddle the confused I get, and the more problems I might cause  ......I shall go and see my expert ! 

:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:   to all   .... :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 10:39:54 AM »

:fingers:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 10:50:48 AM »

I think the best course of action is to take it to my computer lady and see what she can do
Make sure you tell her all the symptoms and be prepared for the worst.  :(

I have to say that (being in that line of business myself) I would probably start by having a discussion about the cost-effectiveness of trying to fix it (depending on age etc.). But that also depends if she's prepared to look at it on a "no fix, no fee" basis. Personally I probably wouldn't having already seen it once, but I would agree a limit on diagnosis work.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 02:30:14 PM »

Hi

Looking on google . doing a search on "adildr.sys" shows the problem going back at least 4 Years . As stated by TD it does mostly seem to be relateed to SAGEM modem . In particular failure to uninstall properly . Did  you uninstall the old one before setting up the new one ?. It might be that there are 2 sets of records in the registry .

I searched  using "adildr.sys+2009"  No quotes

many results this is one

http://www.techsupportforum.com/networking-forum/modems-cable-dsl-satellite/53935-event-id-7000-broadband.html
Many others might give a clue to your expert .

Have you tried a registry cleaner ?
I use" Eusing Free Registry Cleaner" you can run it . It presents a list of problems found . you do not have to take action if you don't want to but  it might pin point the problem . It can be set to create a back up of the registry settings .

Regards Jeff
zen user

scottiesmum

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 02:44:16 PM »

Thanks HP   !!!   :(     ;D     fingers crossed   !! :'(

Jeff,   Yes I did uninstall the old Sagem before installing the new  ...   I haven't tried a registry cleaner   :o :o    Ooooo they scare me a little  !!!   but I might just give one a whirl to see what is what and at least I could give the report to my lady  .....   thank you.

I won't have time to sort all this out immediately,  BUT as soon as I have anything to report  ....    good or bad ! I shall.     Thank you all again !

PS  In order to prevent any more Reboot error messages  for the moment I shall leave the whole system switched on permanently ....!! ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 02:52:40 PM by scottiesmum »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6