Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Reboot message  (Read 24913 times)

scottiesmum

Reboot message
« on: March 19, 2009, 09:06:50 AM »

I have had this  same on message on a few occasions, not many, but enough to be a nuisance and now worrying me ....  " Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot
media in selected boot device"
       Previously I have 'fixed' this by pressing F8 and starting in Safe Mode then restarting the system.   However, the last time this happened I took the tower to my computer lady, who plugged in, switched on and all was fine !!   It happened again this morning and I couldn't even get the F8 key to get any response, not the usual choice Safe Mode etc; but I did get a blue pane showing the A (floppy) and D (CD) options.    Finally I decided to trick the machine into thinking it had been taken to my computer lady again  ;) by unplugging everything then re-plugging .... and voila !  all started as normal.    This has happened for the last 2 days (previously there has been a considerable time lapse between this occurring) and it's because it has now done it on two consecutive days that I'm beginning to worry.

I have checked  the Event Viewer for possible information, by going to start/Run, typing  eventvwr and then clicking  the Application menu item and looking  for any  X.   I found a couple of X's and clicked on for further information  .....   strangely these X's appeared the night previous in each case, looking at the time, on close-down...  I then looked at the report which read as follows on each
      the other message is exactly the same except the USB Driver is  e4ldr

I don't know if this has anything to do with the Reboot message or what I need to do if it is, and I'm hoping that someone will be able to explain ...  many, many thanks for any input.  :'(

Just one question on closedown,  my  internet connection    (by ADSL modem)  starts automatically when Windows opens ... should I let this close automatically with Turn Off  OR should I disconnection manually before Turn Off  ?     Again, many thanks.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Reboot message
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 09:36:40 AM »

I think you need to have a look in the Device Manager at your USB Hub entry.
adildr.sys is a USB system device driver, not a WindowsXP driver.

In XP ( if Vista it should be the same)
Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the USB Hub devices,
Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
device drivers again automatically.

Hopefully that should so the trick..... :fingers:

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot
media in selected boot device

It would appear the BIOS software is not finding a boot device.
Check the BIOS setup screens and ensure your 1st boot drives are in the order you require.
This is normally floppy / CD/ HD or whichever drive your prefer i.e disable all except hard drive.
If the BIOS keeps losing the boot order, it may be a sign of a dying motherboard battery.

For the USB error message, are you using a USB modem?

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 09:53:51 AM »

Thanks TD  I shall try that ...  sorry    ::)     I should have said my OS is XP SP3 ...............   do you think this is causing the Reboot message ?  or is this another problem ??  :)

Hello Exo, nice to hear from you again  !      Yes I'm using a USB Modem  .     Regarding the BIOS set up  ...   Oooooooooooo   this is where I get nervous because I don't really understand all this  ::) How would I do that please ??   (pathetic I know !! :D)

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:01:56 AM »

Back again,   TD  .....    I followed your instructions (haven't a clue what I'm doing  :( )  and I can't see USB Hub Devices, just Controllers, as on this  :    Is that the same things  ? and if so can you go through the steps  .....   sorry about this .... I know my limitations !!!! 

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »

When you boot up the computer, the first display on the monitor is the POST display (white text on black background).
On this display it will show a line such as
To enter setup, press ** (** = the key to press, normally the Del (Delete) key but does vary with different systems. Don't delay in pressing the relevant key when you see this as the option does not remain very long on screen.

The boot devices setup is normally on the Advanced BIOS Features screen.
See if you can locate that screen. Any change you make will need to be saved by pressing the F10 key and confirming.
So basically you can play around in the BIOS as much as you want as nothing is changed until you press the F10 key.
This may help.
http://www.ybet.be/en-hardware-1-23/bios-setup.htm
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/BIOS.htm

Just to make life awkward, some manufacturers show a graphic display whilst POST is running in the background.
Let us know how you get on.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »

Back again,   TD  .....    I followed your instructions (haven't a clue what I'm doing  :( )  and I can't see USB Hub Devices, just Controllers, as on this  :    Is that the same things  ? and if so can you go through the steps  .....   sorry about this .... I know my limitations !!!! 

Expand the USB controllers.

If that fails, then you may need to edit the registry.

Make a RESTORE POINT
Open the registry, by typing "Regedit" [no quotes] in the "Run" box.
Navigate to HK Local Machine / System where you will see ControlSet001,
ControlSet002, and CurrentControlSet.
Tick the box of ControlSet001 and navigate down to Services/ADILOADER
In the right hand pane the item "Start" will probably have a (2) listed
in the data column.
Highlight "Start" and right click the mouse
Choose "modify" and in the value data box simply type "0" [no quotes]
and click "OK"
You now have to repeat this for ControlSet002 and then repeat it again
for CurrentControlSet
Exit the registry, re-boot, and hopefully the error message has gone.

Hello Exo, nice to hear from you again  !

You have me at a disadvantage...............as you are from France, would I be right in guessing at KD?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 10:42:49 AM by exo »

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 10:46:48 AM »

Thanks so much Exo for all this ....    your first links re the BIOS will take some reading and going through, which I will do later... and then refer to your instructions for the BIOS....

re:-  the second item  ..the USB controllers  ..  I've expanded that and  get this :-

I assume the top 6 items are what I should look at  ?     I'm a little confused that only 1 of them is allocated to a piece of hardware, because I have  the Modem,  and a scanner connected by USB too  !

I shall now go and do the registry edit ..  as that looks quite easy   (famous last words) !

PS.   Yes Exo  ..    KD  -  Kate   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:05:31 AM by scottiesmum »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 11:18:22 AM »

Have you tried starting the system with the absolute minimum connected - i.e. monitor and keyboard only?
Everything else unplugged.
(in case you didn't know a brief press on the power button will shut a system down gracefully, so no need for a mouse; you can also do it via the keyboard if you know how)

I've seen many a strange happening at startup due to misbehaving USB devices.

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »

Thanks for that HP  ...   I was always under the impression that I shouldn't close down from the power button ....  so I've always gone through the Turn Off option and I don't know the keyboard option ::) mind you that might be a good thing  :D

Exo  ..  I got as far as finding the HK Local Machine/System  ...    but I see ControlSet001  ControlSet003    CurrentControlSet    (not 002) as you state, does this make a difference ?   :)   Just as a matter of interest why would it be 003 and not 002 ?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »

Keyboard: Ctrl-Esc together opens the Start menu.
Then use arrow, tab and enter keys to move around and do things. You'll soon figure it out if you need to.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 01:02:39 PM »

Exo  ..  I got as far as finding the HK Local Machine/System  ...    but I see ControlSet001  ControlSet003    CurrentControlSet    (not 002) as you state, does this make a difference ?   :)   Just as a matter of interest why would it be 003 and not 002 ?

Kate,I have just looked in my registry (Vista with SP1) and Thats all there is in mine,ControlSet1 and ControlSet3,and also Current ControlSet.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:16:22 PM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 02:31:24 PM »

Ooooooooo  Unc  I feel better now   ;D      Will do the necessary later  ....   thank you !

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 05:41:53 PM »

Been doing a bitty research into this usb adildr.sys thing.

Is your adsl modem a Sagem one..........this error seems to be associated with them

In device manager, I find my modem listed not under usb devices but under network adaptors

Your scanner will show not under usb devices but under imaging devices, but it will only show up if switched on.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 06:07:38 PM »

A useful little tool is USBDeview (USB device viewer) - you'll find it easily by googling.
It enables you to list and remove (*if appropriate) any or all USB devices and drivers in your system - connected or not.
I run it occasionally to clean up what otherwise becomes an ever-growing list.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

anything