Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Sudden profile drop  (Read 16493 times)

Mick

• Reg Member
Re: Sudden profile drop
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 01:34:57 PM »

Yes youre correct it will be bins - 256 is the maximum subchannels for adsl1. 
Theres a calculater which converts the tones to frequencies if it helps here
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm#frequencies

Is there anything that you do not have already explained in your website?!  I often marvel at how comprehensively you cover the subject.  Thanks!  :) 

>> The ADSL filter was ready to die - which is rather annoying since it was only 2 weeks old!  I am assuming that all these stats about suspicious impulse noise must have been related to the ADSL filter.
>> If it does hold the line without mishaps it would indicate that there was nothing wrong with the 2700HGV router and the fault must have been telephone line, rather than home equipment related.

Very likely the filer from what you say :(

No, actually the original drop outs and DLM penalty all took place with an older filter which I replaced with this brand new filter as a precaution.  I have no evidence that the original filter had a problem.  I wish there was a way to test filters (in a home setting) in some measurable manner so that we could swiftly eliminate them from the troubleshooting effort.

Assuming the higher error rate of the failed filter did not reset the DLM clock I may just be short of 10 days for my noise margin being reduced to 12dB ...  :fingers:
Regards,
Mick

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2009, 08:03:44 PM »

Been away for a few days, but left the router running.  Came back last night, restarted mrtg (inc FEC error monitoring) and this is what I got today!

If you look on the left last Wed, Thu the error rates were typical (although I thought they were somewhat high).  Now it seems they almost went off scale in the middle of the day!

I can't jump to conclusions as to what caused this (although the wife is telling me that the washing machine was running until around 12 to 12:30.  The SNRM stood still all day (06:00 to 18:00) at 15dB.  Any ideas?

PS. The rate shown on the day graph represents a five minute average count - so a count of 1 means that over five minutes there was 1 error per minute on average.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Regards,
Mick

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2009, 11:49:18 AM »

>> the wife is telling me that the washing machine was running until around 12 to 12:30

Wouldnt think its that since the increase occurred before and continued after.  Problem with noise from REIN is that it can sometimes be very hard to track down  :'(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything