Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP Woes  (Read 2180 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
ISP Woes
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:16:30 AM »

Here's a story of my friends  plight with various ISP's.

He had his landline with BT,his broadband with Tiscali and he had Sky TV,to which he subscribed to the movie package.
Altogether he was paying £68 a month.
He is in a cable area so he decided to move the whole shooting match over to Virgin,he phone them up and was told all the things he was getting at present they would do for £48 a month,including the movie package.They also said that he would only pay £12 a month for the first 3 months.
He said thats a good deal I will sign up.His wireless router arrived and a couple of weeks later virgin arrived and installed it all.He said they were very good,even hoovered up after.
After the had gone he put the tv on to find there was no movie channels,so he phoned them up and Virgin said he had not subscribed to the movie package and it would be another £19 a month.No way he said you told me,etc etc.Virgin then found his phone conversation for the day he ordered and said the sales person should not have told him that and was very apologetic but it would still be £19,he refused and cancelled so they came and took the equipment back.
He now has no phone line,broad band  and only the normal tv channels.Bear with me  :D
His broad band was not cancelled yet with Tiscali so he phoned them up and said he would still like to continue with them  :no: and also have his line rental with Tiscali as well.
No problem they told him and within 2 days a wireless router was sent.(his old Tiscali one was usb).He then heard nothing so he phoned them back and they told him you can't move your line rental from Virgin to us,you have to go back to BT for that.  :wall:
He is now thinking of biting the bullet and going back to................Virgin.

The moral of this story is double check and check again as it seems these companies will tell you anything to sell you their products.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Re: ISP Woes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:32:17 AM »

OMG Uncy, how scary is that, just shows you can't trust any of them nowadays when they will say anything to sell you summat.  Had much less trauma than your poor friend had when I changed from Orange dial up to their BB.....they didn't tell me I wouldn't have BT calls anymore but would be changed to their Orange package.  Threw a wobbly then decided it was a better deal at the time with Orange...but not so sure now but is it all worth the hassle when changing things.  Hope your friend gets sorted, feel so sorry for people having to put up with this especially when these companies will tell porkies or are economical with the truth when it comes to signing you up!  >:(
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »

Bit confused as to why Tiscali are saying he'll have to go back to bt. the situation should be exactly the same for Tiscali,bt or Joe bloggs telecom. At a guess I'ld say Virgin are holding up number portability as they might be viewing the line cancelled before minimum term, just guessing

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 02:22:13 PM »

Bit confused as to why Tiscali are saying he'll have to go back to bt. the situation should be exactly the same for Tiscali,bt or Joe bloggs telecom. At a guess I'ld say Virgin are holding up number portability as they might be viewing the line cancelled before minimum term, just guessing

Hi Ezzer,

According to Tiscali because he is with Virgin(and its cable) they cannot take over his landline.He has been told he will have to first move back to BT then he can move over to Tiscali  :shrug2:
If he did decide to move back to BT would he be tied in to a contract.Tiscali have told him he would be and that he would have to 'buy out' the contact to move his landline over to them.Confused,me too.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 04:59:32 PM »

That still dosn't sound right. We do lots of what are called number portability. We get the line working from the exchange to the nte (unless it's all been cut away  >:( then we refit everything) once this is done I make 2 calls, one to enable the dial tone with the number the second to put the proceess through so incomming calls switch over as well, usually takes less than 15 min's.

By offcom rules such a proccess shouldn't be avalable to one sp over another, fair trading practice etc

I'm sure i've seen some with tiscali