Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Worth using in anyway?  (Read 3124 times)

whitlog

Worth using in anyway?
« on: March 15, 2009, 11:38:09 PM »

My current setup is

Asus P5n-e sli mobo
E8500 cpu

I got given an old rig of a mate and it has a gigabyte K8NSNXP -939 mobo, the cpu seems dead as when ever you turn the rig on it beeps like a bus when in reverse, plus i had a look and a couple of the cpu pins are bent, it has 2 HD not looked what there size etc.

but my question is could if i wanted to put the hard drives in my rig and is it worth keeping the mobo and getting a new amd 64 cpu and having something like a media or storage rig and something just to practice things like over clocking on, or would i be better with buying more up to date/budget stuff to do the above options?

Thanks

exo

• Kitizen
Re: Worth using in anyway?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 11:54:09 AM »

Firstly, it is more than likely that the hard drives can be used in your other computer. You have not clarified which type of drives they are, Sata or IDE (Pata) but the available connections to the motherboard may be the limiting factor. If this is so, then there are workarounds such as a PCI card giving further IDE connectors.

The beep codes normally give you an idea of what the problem is. The definition of the codes does vary on which BIOS software is in use. This may help.

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Once you have determined the cause of the error beeps, you can then decide on the solution. A bit too early to state for sure that the CPU is at fault but the bent pins will not help.
The AMD 64 was good in its day and will still be alright for general use. It will struggle with new games.

anything