Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Saturday 14 March 2009 >Chat<  (Read 4183 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Saturday 14 March 2009 >Chat<
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:20:40 AM »

I thought I will make an effort to start the chat off being it's my 60th Birthday today, :'(
If feel no different to when I was 59  ;D

When I was making a post on here last night I could hear a deep rumble noise which lasted too long to be a plane landing at the local airport.
A few moments later my daughter came running into our office and said the chimneys on Fire  :'( ,I looked out of the window and it was giving a good shower of sparks out and smoke .
That rumble was a roar from the burning shoot in the chimney which I only swept in November.
I got a bucket of water and put the fire out, then I replaced the fire guard in front of the fire opening, covered it with wet news paper and stopped all the air getting to the chimney.
Within five minutes the chimney fire was out. ;D
We manage to set it on fire about twice a year. :no:

Today I will do some gardening as it's should be sunny, one job I have to do is to move some plants out of the way for my greenhouse I'm going to build.

Have a good day all.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Saturday 14 March 2009 >Chat<
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 06:54:32 AM »

Happy birthday!

Within five minutes the chimney fire was out.

I won't say the obvious, because you clearly know what you're doing. :) I would have called the fire brigade, but then I've got no experience of such things.

A good day to one and all.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 07:12:45 AM »

Good morning.  ;D

Many happy returns of the day, tickmike ..............hope you have a good time.  :drink:

Well, if the chimney is going to burn, what better day than Friday 13th.............at least you won't have to have it swept again for a while.. :D
Frightening experience though.

Grey, wet and windy again and TD aint going out today.  :(

Have a good one.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:19:10 AM »

Happy Birthday Mike,have a great day.  :dance:

And don't forget your................................Fuel Allowance   :thumbs:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:35:57 AM by UncleUB »

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 07:33:28 AM »

Happy birthday tickmike, 60 is nothing to be afraid of :P

Re your chimney fire, my husband put one out the same way, many years ago.  He wouldn't let me call the fire brigade because he said they'd do more damage with the water than the fire would.  Of course most people today don't have experience with open fires, although it sounds like you have plenty :lol:

Nice sunny day here, but it started out like that yesterday, and went downhill from then on :(

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 10:41:52 AM »

.....    from a lovely   :sun: morning at chez nous !

Mike  .....      glad the fire was soon sorted  .....   was it ALL those candles?   >:D  ;)

Enjoy your day all  !

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »

Happy birthday tickmike..  hope you have a good one. :) :congrats:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 01:11:56 PM »

Happy Birthday Tickmike! :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 02:35:39 PM »

Thanks all for the BD wishers.  :)

I have been used to an open fire since I was born as we lived in  a terraced house, and from an early age I was encouraged to clean the brass's and 'lead' polish the grate and would get some 'pocket' money.
The only time I have not had an coal/wood fire was when I first got married when I moved into the gas central heated house of my girlfriend/wife, When I built this house I made sure we designed the house with a fireplace and chimney, the only thing the planners made us do was to make the chimney stack larger, so I made it into two flues one for the living room and one goes to the kitchen in case we have an aga cooker.

It was nice and sunny so we went for a nice walk in the 400 acre park we have on our doorstep, we came across some deer  :)

Now it's time for some gardening while the suns still out  :sun:

I'm being taken out tonight to some place where we have not had a meal before, now which chips shop is it ? :hmm:
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 02:38:19 PM »

Afternoon all,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mike... well what there is left of it... hope you have a lovely meal this evening... nice to be taken out... might mean you don't have to pay  ;D

wowee....that fire....I would have been running round in circles not knowing what to do other than calling the fire brigade....good that you managed to get the fire out and sort it yourself though, but what a fright (seems you're used to it though lol).

Hope everyone has had a good day and the rest of the weekend will be good for you too.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 06:22:49 PM »

Happy Birthday  ... or what's left of it.

Chimney fires were a part of my childhood, at least once a year someone on the estate set theirs on fire, looking up the chimney afterwards and seeing the soot still glowing was fun, of course you used to be able to buy something to deliberately set it alight, whose name escapes me, but I'm sure someone will remember.

Hope you enjoy your meal.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 12:30:33 AM »

The 4 coarse meal was wonderful, I could not believe the price, I'm glad my wife paid.  :angel: Nice grand piano playing in the room.

With chimney fires if you are in an old house and the chimneys not well maintained you can have holes in the mortar and when it gets on fire you could have red hot shoot/flames getting into the roof space and set it on fire.
Modern chimneys have a lining in (when I built mine I used clay liners) but the problem is that when they catch fire it cracks the lining if you let it burn too long. :'(
I burn wood as well as coal and coal slack, but its the tar from the wood that's the problem, this deposits in the chimney and along with the shoot and makes a good chimney fire.
I sweep the chimney myself, my father showed me how it was done when I was young.

How many people know how to light a fire these days. :no:

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 07:41:12 AM »

How many people know how to light a fire these days. :no:

my husband does, although this is the nearest we get to a real fire nowadays

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 09:06:33 AM »

Very nice :)
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 09:50:13 AM »

Our wood-burner is used from about December to March ( think we've seen the last of it now until next December!)   so we  can certainly light a fire.... we burn oak, and our  kindling is free from nature, we collect fir cones through the summer and they see us through our ' fire period' .   Now we have the heating au natural  :sun: :sun: