Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tim Berners-Lee on Phorm  (Read 7584 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Tim Berners-Lee on Phorm
« on: March 12, 2009, 11:18:35 PM »

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Tim Berners-Lee on Phorm
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:09:42 AM »

Ive read a few times before that he's anti-phorm

Web creator rejects net tracking

Sir Tim said his data and web history belonged to him.

I think consumers rights in this are very important - we haven't seen the results of these systems being used

He said: "It's mine - you can't have it. If you want to use it for something, then you have to negotiate with me. I have to agree, I have to understand what I'm getting in return."

Theres a blog he wrote a couple of days ago, which probably triggered off the PCPro article, which can be read at

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/NoSnooping.html

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 03:50:18 PM »

Hi

Phorm and Google !! there is NO escape !

>:(
zen user

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:35:27 AM »

Hi

Phorm and Google !! there is NO escape !

>:(

Nothing wrong with Google as you can choose to use them or not but with Phorm all your data goes through the phorm system.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 05:49:12 PM »

Not if you use Firefox and one of several anti Phorm plug-ins, such as firephorm

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:25:28 AM »

Not if you use Firefox and one of several anti Phorm plug-ins, such as firephorm

That's worth looking in to . :)
It sounds on the same lines that I was thinking that it could be stopped at the browser .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 09:50:31 PM »

Very interesting thanks and hopefully it will prove useful to someone

Direct link FirePhorm.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:42:01 PM »

Dephormation is the other major anti-phorm plugin for Firefox. See https://www.dephormation.org.uk/index.php?page=3

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 02:27:54 PM »

You may find this interesting   .....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7998009.stm

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 02:39:33 PM »

We all knock the EU at times but they can be a good alternative tier of government sometimes.

Funny how most individual members of the public who know about IT think BT broke the law, but our government seems to think it was OK.

Oh hang on, they all seem to be breaking the law themselves or at least the sprit of it when claiming expenses.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »

>    Phorm and Google !! there is NO escape !

Just to point out, in case anyone is not familiar with the background to the Phorm fiasco - there certainly is an escape, no need for firefox add-ins or any such. If you are a customer of BT's retail ISP operation (whatever they call themselves now) or of one of the other two possible Phorm potential users, _simply switch ISP_, move to any other ISP at all and let your ISP know why you are leaving.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 07:36:55 PM »

Amazon has said it will not allow online advertising system Phorm to scan its web pages to produce targeted ads

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7999635.stm

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »

Nice one amazon...  lets hope more follow. :)
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 01:27:35 PM »

Anti-PHORM campaigners point out that website owners own the copyright on the contents of their pages, and so can impose terms and conditions that selectively grant real human visitors and legitimate proxies the right to make copies of (ie fetch) their content, and can also withhold the granting of any such rights to evil computers such as those operating PHORM garbage. Such evil computers would then be carrying out acts of infringement. It is not the copyright holder's job to inform would be infringers of the copyright, quite the reverse, it's BT/Phorm that need to establish that they have been granted the right to copy pages from web servers unless they want to risk action being taken against them for infringement. Putting up a notice explicitly reminding PHORM or BT or similar that they are granted no such licence, or even writing to them to remind them of the law would put them in an impossible position if you detected an infringement in your server logs. That's the strategy that has been suggested anyway.

This is rather more subtle than simply not allowing them access at all, and should it is hoped give them or their legal depts nightmares if enough people started giving out such indications.