Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dial out alarm system?  (Read 5121 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Dial out alarm system?
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:25:48 PM »

Can these security systems produce rein on the adsl line?
I have had this system in place for about five years now without any problems. My broadband is plugged into an NTE2000 centralized filter i.e. the faceplate has 2 separate sockets (one for the POTS and one for the dsl), so I am thinking there should be no problems from this alarm system. Am I correct or could it be a source of problems?
Thank you in advance.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

MollyCoddle

Re: Dial out alarm system?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »

>>Can these security systems produce rein on the adsl line?

A.----Earlier models used wire wound relays, these would. Yet you say that you've had it for 5 years, so its very unlikely.
It must be solid state. One way to sort it, listen to the unit when you activate the unit, it should have a test facility. Don't forget to unplug it from the line first. Dont test it if you are connected to central monitoring.

Let me know the manufacteurer/model if you can, PM it if you like.

MC

Edit :- I'm guessing its not a wireless alarm is it?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 07:51:10 PM by MollyCoddle »

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 08:04:17 PM »

Thank you for the quick response. It is a central monitored unit so I cannot test it. It is not a wireless unit and uses airflow/pressure, and has a smoke detection unit as well. If I unplug it it beeps until I plug it back in, likewise if the power is withdrawn i.e. switch the unit off. I'm just curious really as I have seen this sort of alarm system mentioned, or similar anyway. There is no outward visible manufacturer and I don't like to take the covers off.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 08:08:04 PM »

Hi Silversurfer,

Just to be certain, the dial-out modem (also known as a Public Switched Telephone Network modem) must be filtered, if it is not fed from the phone distribution wiring on the NTE2000.

Kind regards,
Walter

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:32:01 PM »

It is connected directly into the idc connectors at the back of the telephone socket  I know that is the lazy way of doing it, but it does leave the socket clear to use if I want to. As far as I am aware it shouldn't interfere but I thought I would ask the question.

Thank You Walter.

davabirkenhead

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 10:48:58 AM »

Should use a filter most alarm companys fit them. I have BT Redcare in my house which use's a diffrent freq according to installer so I didn't need one.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 11:09:43 AM »

It is connected directly into the idc connectors at the back of the telephone socket  I know that is the lazy way of doing it,
Maybe not.
The security company should have installed it in such a way as to minimise the risk of accidental interference by the householder or deliberate interference by a burglar. And of course fitted appropriate filters etc. for broadband.

If your alarm was fitted before broadband you should confirm with them that it is wired correctly and has appropriate filtering.
There are also devices known as "line seize units" that work with alarms that have phone-dialler communications (as opposed to Redcare or GSM) and these have to be hard-wired in to cut off the phone if required in order to dial out.

In short, check with your alarm company. 8)

I have BT Redcare in my house which use's a diffrent freq according to installer so I didn't need one.
Sort of half true. A different device is used, specific to Redcare.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:12:21 AM by HPsauce »