Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT - Slow Connection, Close Distance  (Read 3660 times)

SlowNet

• Just arrived
BT - Slow Connection, Close Distance
« on: April 08, 2007, 01:50:57 PM »

Hi there, I've moved to BT Total Broadband 2-3 months back and since then I've dropped from NTL 4MB connection to BT 1MB connection because I expected an 8 Meg Connection from them. I have simply no clue as to why this is the case. If NTL could have my line up to 4MB why can't BT? Here's a little information

You are around 620 metres from your exchange (as the crow flies).

My connection is via my Extension socket > BT Home Hub > PC (wired connection)

The reason I cannot connect it straight into my master socket is because it's downstairs and the PC is upstairs. However from the Line Attenuation it doesn't seem that the extra length is causing more 'noise' in the line.

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 2:26:40
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 1,152
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 6.40 / 65.93
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 9.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.0 / 14.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 30.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Any clues as to what's causing the slow speed would be great. Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 01:33:30 PM by kitz »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Slow Connection, Close Distance
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 02:41:09 PM »

Simple, you've been put on a fixed rate 1Mb service instead of a BT Max service, as seen by the third line in your stats (Bandwidth). I reckon you'll easily get the a full 8Mb sync speed.

You need to contact BT and ask them to upgrade you to ADSL Max because you're just on a 1Mb fixed rate service at the moment. They should be able to do that for you. Not sure why you weren't put on Max to start with, but hey ho!
Chris

SlowNet

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:29:55 PM »

I have contacted BT and the phone line just puts me on hold while the online Broadband Helpdesk tells me I am indeed capped at 1MB but however they cannot do anything from their end to improve my connection and told me to phone their phoneline or email them promising that they will phone back. Yeah right..BT phoning their customers back hah that's just a joke.

Anyways I'm going to terminate my contract with BT at the end of month and move to Be* Broadband instead as it's expected to be available at my exchange in the beginning of May. Be* Broadband also much higher speeds up to 24 MB and I've read a lot of reviews of it (which I haven't done when I purchased BT Total Broadband) and it seems like everyone is happy with it even though most can't get the full 24MB but rather in the region of 15-20MB.

Thanks mr_chris for the swift reply. Cheers m8!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:32:28 PM »

>> I am indeed capped at 1MB but however they cannot do anything from their end to improve my connection

poppycock!
All they need to do is submit an order to BT Wholesale (via the eco system) to upgrade you to  dslmax.  Depending on which way they do it, once they have submitted the order you should be able to get the full 8Mb.

Contact them again saying that you are on a fixed 1Mb line and can they please submit a maxdsl upgrade for your line.

Good luck :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything