Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 'Reset flashing' a DG834GT  (Read 10004 times)

MollyCoddle

'Reset flashing' a DG834GT
« on: March 08, 2009, 03:35:34 PM »

Can anyone comment on the usefulness of reset flashing a DG834GT, official firmware to official firmware, yet flashing using the recovery utility as if it had the *ky software in it?

I have attempted to do so and I am not getting any success using the procedure as laid down by kitz for flashing a *ky router.

So, I am sitting back wondering if this a valid way forward anyway. With all the claims from my ISP, I thought I could answer with a statement of having completely re-flashed the software.

Any feedback as to the usefulness or possible input from someone who has resolved such an attempt?

Thanks, MC

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: 'Reset flashing' a DG834GT
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:42:27 PM »

I've never use the *ky process as I've never needed to, but I have changed the firmware on at least half a dozen assorted DG834G's and GT's between Netgear versions and to/from UberGT and DGTeam versions as well. It's always worked fine.
Have you got a "dead" or locked router?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:08:28 PM »

I recently done a Sky router 834GT and no problem at all.

I did go Sky - Official Netgear - DGteam firmware

Are you putting it into the two flashing lights (flash recovery mode)?

Are you using XP?

Do you have the firmware and Recovery Utility in same folder?

Did you run "RmDrv.exe" first then "UpgradeWizard.exe"?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:19:33 PM by BritBrat »

MollyCoddle

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 04:33:16 PM »

@ HPsauce

Yes, I have changed from the 1.02.14 that came with the router in Jan, to the 1.02.16 and back again using the router web i/f, no probs. Also, I have performed a factory reset procedure as per the manual.

@BritBrat

But when I try the *ky kitz procedure purely to be sure that I am completely overwriting EVERYTHING, the recovery utlity does not find the MAC code of the router (recovery utility, step 2 I think!, after finding the PC network card) it just sits there. Re-booting the router shows that the software has not been overwritten, The router is fine, its not hanging.

Perhaps this procedure only works with the *ky software in place first, although that does not seem logical.

Any ideas?

MC

>Are you putting it into the two flashing lights (flash recovery mode)? ------- YES
>Are you using XP?    ----- YES
>Do you have the firmware and Recovery Utility in same folder? ----- YES
>Did you run "RmDrv.exe" first then "UpgradeWizard.exe"? ---- NO, thats not in the explanation , am trying it now

Edited as I did not answer all  of britbrats Q's
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:46:17 PM by MollyCoddle »

MollyCoddle

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 05:06:24 PM »

@BritBrat

>Did you run "RmDrv.exe" first then "UpgradeWizard.exe"? ---- NO, thats not in the explanation , am trying it now

RmDrv removed the first and second Service entries, running UpgradeWizard gives the same result ---
1. Adapter card found and selected,   "NEXT" key pressed,
2. The Upgrade window does not change to show a MAC address, the window appears corrupted with a mixture of "card found" screen and the 3rd step "Model, current version, Upgrade version, Server name" screen, and thats where it hangs. we still have the two flashing lights!!!!

MollyCoddle

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 05:11:48 PM »

here is the screen shot, I have tried downloading the image and recovery utility a few times.

[attachment deleted by admin]

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 05:18:11 PM »

There are several copies of the procedure online.
This is the one I know people have used:
http://www.jjclements.co.uk/index.php/2007/09/30/sky-router-dg834gt-unlock/

MollyCoddle

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 05:31:39 PM »

@HPsauce,

I am always grateful for your input, yes, that is a nice explanation, and now I have followed it, giving the result as above.

What I do not get is the 2nd stage screen which should show a device list "only one device should be listed here", it merely shows the above .png and pressing the next key has no result.

I have even given it more than 5 mins as stated in the explanation, just in case its working but with no screen confirmation.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 01:09:58 AM »

I've flashed a few of the old sky routers and not had any problems.

As pointed out by BritBrat though - are you using windows XP? -
As mentioned in the tutorial the Netgear upgrade tool doesnt work too good with Vista.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

MollyCoddle

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 11:45:42 AM »

>As pointed out by BritBrat though - are you using windows XP? -

I admit to having edited my post some 10mins after the original posting, but yes I am using XP.

>I've flashed a few of the old sky routers and not had any problems.

This might be the problem, this is not an ex-sky router.

Anyway, I will persevere, I have tried dropping all firewall and av/asw sotware with no result.
It appears that the utility software is not giving visual feedback that it finds the MAC address of the router.

Thanks again,  MC

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 02:11:03 PM »

I had the same issue with the first router I had, I decided it was faulty as I could not even enter the GUI from LAN but I could from wireless.

I take it clicking http://192.168.0.1 works for you?

You do only have the one device connected when trying the upgrade?

If it is not a Sky router have you tried just doing it from the GUI and forget about the Recovery Utility?

This might be the problem, this is not an ex-sky router.

That does not matter as the process is for netgear routers and nothing to do with a Sky router.

The Recovery Utility has been around for years and is for recovering from a bad upgrade/flash.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:21:01 PM by BritBrat »

MollyCoddle

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 03:32:58 PM »

@BritBrat,

Thanks, and sorry this thread is going on a bit.

>>I take it clicking http://192.168.0.1 works for you?
Yes, I can do everything; GUI from the LAN, use the GUI to install images.

>>You do only have the one device connected when trying the upgrade?
Yes

>>That does not matter as the process is for netgear routers and nothing to do with a Sky router.
Thanks, thats what I thought, but I did not want to take anything for granted

>>and forget about the Recovery Utility?
I will, I just wanted to reassure my ISP that I had performed the severest flash.

Thanks again, I am going to forget about this, MC

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 05:52:19 PM »

Thanks, and sorry this thread is going on a bit.

You do not have to worry about that, if we did not want to help or not have the time we would just not type anything.

I suspect you may have already done this by pressing in the reset button while powering on the router but if not do this instead.

No need to flash the router just do a reset back to factory settings.

You may be better off just telling us what problems you have with your connection.

Ooop's I see you have done.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=4405.0

Reset for most routers with a reset button on the rear panel

Write down configuration information such as IP addresses, security keys, opened ports and services, etc., that you modified. (The default username is admin and the password is either password or 1234. Try these before resetting the router.)

Press the reset button on the back until the test light blinks. This takes about 10 seconds. (To avoid accidental resets, the small button is recessed. Use a pen or paperclip to access it.)
Release the button.
Wait for the router to reboot.
If the router was not cleared, try these additional steps AFTER the router has finished rebooting.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1148/related/1/kw/reset%20834/r_id/166
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:05:17 PM by BritBrat »

MollyCoddle

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 06:29:49 PM »

>>You do not have to worry about that
Thanks for the feedback

>>I suspect you may have already done this by pressing in the reset button while powering on the router but if not do this instead.
Yes, I have factory re-set this way after reverting from the v1.02.16 to the v1.02.14

>>No need to flash the router just do a reset back to factory settings.
Fully understood

When I can free up the router again I will try the suggestions in the FAQ link you provided (eg Continue to hold the reset button for 20 seconds after reconnecting the power.)

Thanks again,  MC