Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Error message re DLL  (Read 5577 times)

servalan

• Just arrived
Error message re DLL
« on: April 05, 2007, 01:06:26 PM »

I can't access secure sites so I downloaded DRTCP and tried this but on resarting the laptop I get this error message
 RTHDCPL.EXE Illegal System DLL Relocation
The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.
I reset DRTCP to default settings and did a system restore but the error message is still there. Can anyone help please?
Thank you Servalan

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Error message re DLL
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 01:29:09 PM »

Hi Servalan, welcome to the forum.

I don't use Windows myself, so I can't help, but I expect someone else will come along who can.
Servalan was the evil woman in Blake's 7, wasn't she? :D

Eric
  Eric

servalan

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 01:32:32 PM »

Yes that's the one.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 02:56:10 PM »

Dr TCP is a standalone exe that doesnt need installing and directly makes changes to the registry MTU and rwin values.

According to this
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/rthdcpl/

RTHDCPL.EXE belongs to Realtek HD Audio Control Panel
whilst

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/?files=hhctrl.ocx

HHCTRL.OCX is for help files.

DrTCP wouldnt/shouldnt have impacted on either of these files - it doesnt even have a help file so Im a bit confused as to how this error has occured.

---
edited to add just done a google...

Seems like its a recent MS security update that has caused the problem.
It explains what has caused the error and also the fix - release date 3 april 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

servalan

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 06:34:37 PM »

Thank you very much. I downloaded the Windows updates just before using DRTCP which is why I thought they were connected. I apologise. I wish you could solve my other problem of not being able to access secure sites. I used to be able to. Thank you again. Servalan

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 11:27:25 PM »

Hi Servalan,

Problems accessing secure sites are almost always caused by one of 3 things, usually following an automatic update.

1. Browser misconfiguration - Download a copy of either Opera or Firefox, if the problem persists you know this isn't the problem.
2. Firewall Configuration - Uninstall any Firewall software, such as Zonealarm, or Internet security applications, such as Kaspersky Anti-Hacker or Norton Internet Security - reboot your machine, does the problem persist? Windows firewall shouldn't cause this but disable it just in case.
3. Malware infestation - Run a full AV sweep of your machine, then run both Adaware and Spybot s&d scans of your machine. As a last resort locate the hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc if memory serves) and rename it to hosts.bak - reboot.

Please remember to re-install any security software after testing

Hope this helps

Rgds
Havelock

servalan

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 12:12:46 AM »

It has taken me days but I don't give up easily and I've at last solved my problem. It's DAP my download manager. It had integrated itself into the IE toolbar and when I took it out I could access the secure sites. I upgraded DAP in the last few months and the previous one hadn't done this. Thank you for all your help. Servalan.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 10:01:54 AM »

Thanks for getting back to us to let us know.

Glad its all sorted now :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 11:49:47 PM »

I read this post earlier on thinking little of it until a family member asked me for help with the same error message.

One of our PCs has RealTek HD Audio and downloaded the said MS Update and was presenting the same error.
Thanks to Kitz's response which I had seem prior I was able to navigate here, dl the patch, reboot and see the problem solved! It certainly saved me googling the problem.

I dont mean to be cynical or "old school" but I remember a time when the forum wasn't so "broad" in the topics you could post under. Obviously there are advantages to covering extra subjects/areas.

Thanks also guys.

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 05:40:21 PM »

This is handy, I had a game that I like stop working after downloading update 925902 (MS07-017).

I removed the update, now I can get reinstalled with a patch.

Having said that, the security update was hardly critical given the way I use my system ........