Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What's This ?. > Solved<  (Read 4297 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
What's This ?. > Solved<
« on: March 06, 2009, 12:10:53 AM »

After just sending a post I got at the top of the forum page (Normally adverts)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INVALID ID SPECIFIED
If you can see this, either something's gone wrong, or you're messing !.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's all this about then.

The post there and I do NOT mess.!  Make a mess yes, then have to clean it up ;D

Edit...... This posted ok with no message !.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 08:29:51 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: What's This ?.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:38:17 AM »

I would be inclined to think that you have been targeted possibly by some "so called" spyware cleaning software.
Did it give any links to select or was it just the message you posted?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 07:09:54 AM »

It does rather sound like malware of some sort. Unless (possibly) the supplier of an advert was hacked.
  Eric

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 07:51:26 AM »

Yes, I saw that several times yesterday whilst on kitz's site. It only appeared, as far as I am aware, when the SKY ad was on the page header.
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 08:50:17 AM »

We had this before - about 8 weeks or more ago.  it turned out Kitz had been tweaking something.... I'll try and find the references.....

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 08:54:07 AM »

Found it - it was Oct 29 th last year -

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=3348.0

Kitz had been changing the banners at the top of the page and had one less than usual so this funny message cropped up.  I though at the time that I was guilty of messing cos it said so - however the "Court of Public Opinion" declared me innocent! :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 09:05:12 AM »

Ah yes, you're quite right jazz. I should have remembered.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 11:42:33 AM »

I changed the sky banner ad a couple of days ago.  Im not sure yet quite why this happens but when I change a banner, but it seems to be that the script caches the old banner and looks for the old one which is obviously nolonger there.
afaik it only seems to happen in firefox  which caches the old script for longer.

A hard refresh of the pag (ctrl + F5) should clear this.   When I get chance I'll try and have a look and see if there is anything I can do about it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: What's This ?. > Solved<
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »

Ive changed the default banner, so hopefully in future the message is a little less confusing.

It seems to happen when I change any of the banner ads, the script is looking for the 'old banner' which obviously it can no longer find since its not on the server...  and only occurs if the script part has been cached.  I'm still not quite sure how to correct it fully without forcing a script reload each time a page is loaded... which seems a waste of resources (and bandwidth).

When chris has some free time I'll see if he can think of any other way round this.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: What's This ?. > Solved<
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »

Thanks for the explanation  :) .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

anything