Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thomson Speedtouch 585v6 'worn out'? [RESOLVED]  (Read 11435 times)

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
Thomson Speedtouch 585v6 'worn out'? [RESOLVED]
« on: March 05, 2009, 06:52:41 PM »

I'm a big fan of the 585v6 - it transformed my connection, but...

In the last week I've noticed more errors, a bigger drop in SNRM in the evening and also seen a few restarts - I've never had those before.

Yesterday was the final straw - When I came back in the afternoon I drove past an 'Openreach' van along the lane to where I live (that always gets the heart going  ???) when I got in and looked at RouterStats I could see I had lost sync or had 3 restarts during the afternoon  :'(

I turn all my IT kit off at night, restarting everything first thing in the morning - I go to my study and switch everything on (including the router) by the time I come back with my coffee the router is normally ready to go. But in the last few days I had noticed that the LEDs are still sorting themselves out and the DSL and Internet one's still take another minute or two to come on - so this was also worrying me.

Today I switched to my backup 585v6 (I bought two a year or more back - new from an eBay seller) - This appears to start up quicker and has performed faultlessly all day - with no restarts and few errors.

So it's looking as if my original 585v6 was starting to die on me :o and it would have been easy to blame a deterioration of my line, as I nearly did.

I'll be back with more news as things unfold...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:28:02 PM by b4dger »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Thomson Speedtouch 585v6 'worn out' ?!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 07:07:20 PM »

I would hazard a guess that the deteriorating router might have developed a dry joint or something like that. Some sort of intermittent connection somewhere could account for the symptoms.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »

I am always a litle sceptical of anything with electro-mechanical components.
When a 585 is powered up there is a distinct noise as of a relay switching over.
I know relays are now vastly more reliable than they used to be, but it hasn't yet removed my suspicions entirely !

Kind regards,
Walter

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 10:55:15 AM »

As you guys say - electrical equipment can develop faults.
Where I turn off every night my router is cooling down which will be stressing components, where as if it was on 24x7 the heat would be more constant.

This morning - normal routine, and by the time I had made my coffee the router was 'ready to go' as things used to be - so something definitely changed.

When I get some time to play, i'm intending to perform a factory reset just to prove if it's a physical thing or not.
For the past year or so the router got powered on/off directly at the socket rather than using the on/off switch.
Lot's of routers don't have switches so that's the only way to treat them - but I'm wondering if it's possible that the firmware could get damaged by doing this regularly? - "I'm making this up as I go along as you can tell!"

I think I've proven that the Broadcom based routers suit my line - so think I might have to treat myself to a DG834v4 or DG834GT now that I need another backup router...
Time to start saving some pennies  ::)

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 03:09:46 PM »

Hmmm... It's looks like I might have a problem  :no: Perhaps it's not a knackered router after all?!

My connection had been running fine all day - only a handful of CRC/HEC errors and my SNRM only moving by 0.5 db or so.

I left my PC for the first time today to go for a 30min walk. Got back to see that my LAN had dropped connection.

Looking at RouterStats I can see the connection dropped while I was out - no noise spike or anything obvious.
FEC errors were only climbing slowly with no fast rise when the connection went.

Unfortunately as my 585v6 seems to crash and restart the logs etc. are cleared.

So what to do?
It seems like I've somehow started to get some type of 'timeout' problem.

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks in advance...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 04:06:46 PM »

I suppose it could be a brief burst of electrical interference (a freezer thermostat or something like that) or it could be an intermittent fault in the router. The only way to be sure it's not the router is to try a different one.
  Eric

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 04:31:12 PM »

It seems like I've somehow started to get some type of 'timeout' problem.

Which firmware version are you using?

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 04:52:08 PM »

Hi roseway - "The only way to be sure it's not the router is to try a different one."
As I mentioned, I have swapped to a new boxed 585v6 and it's doing the same :(
I haven't swapped the power supply yet as it's not so convenient - but I will.

Hi orainsear - "Which firmware version are you using?"
I'm using 6.2.29.2 (and have been for over a year without seeing this problem).
I understand there was an 'idle timeout' issue for some with the last DMT compatible release.

Someone has suggested looking for a 'time out' or 'stay alive' setting - but I wouldn't have thought this would have got changed (on two routers) and cause the router to restart???

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »

"Someone has suggested looking for a 'time out' or 'stay alive' setting - but I wouldn't have thought this would have got changed (on two routers) and cause the router to restart???"

Someone = Freeola my provider

I'm reading the CLI guide, but anyone that knows about the 585 please let me know if there are any 'timer' 'idle' type settings I should check - but I can't see/believe there's anything that says 'reboot router'!

Thanks in advance.

How I wish my ADSL connection JUST WORKED!

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 06:12:20 PM »

When you say your LAN dropped connection, is this hard wired or wireless?

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 06:46:45 PM »

When you say your LAN dropped connection, is this hard wired or wireless?

Both - but all I meant by that was it was the first indication that the router had restarted itself.

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »

:(
Guess I should have started this thread in the ADSL problems forum!

This morning my situation seems to have deteriorated.
After replacing my original 585v6 and power supply with a new one the router has restarted itself 3 times this morning. It's started doing it while I'm using the connection rather than when it's just idle.

As I don't get a chance to look at the 585v6 log (which is never very comprehensive anyway) I've now switched to an old 2Wire 2700HG-B to see how that behaves.
It must be something pretty heavy duty to be causing my router to restart!

HELP  :'(

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 11:07:10 AM »

HI

Can we see your stats ? .It will help with Identifying the problem

Regards Jeff
zen user

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 11:16:41 AM »

Since this has all started my Target SNR has gone from 6 > 9db  after spending the last year or so nursing things along from 15db :(

Current:
Attenuation 50
Sync: 48xx
Target SNR 9db - SNRM 9db (Routerstats shows this running at 9-9.5 during the day)
IP Profile was 4500 now 3500
Errors are being cleared when the router restarts but they were very low - 2 or 3 HEC/CRC and a few 1000 FEC.

Let me know if I've missed anything.
NB. My line 'history' can be found in my signature link.

Thanks for the interest.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 11:22:58 AM »

If you're not seeing high error rates, and you've eliminated the router as a cause, then it looks like short bursts of high level interference, which strongly suggests REIN. It can be a right pain in the neck to find. :(
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything