Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Eagle Webcams  (Read 7085 times)

harry

• Just arrived
Eagle Webcams
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:11:23 PM »

http://www.hancockwildlife.org/

Fascinating webcams of eagles nesting on , I believe, Vancouver Island.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Eagle Webcams
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 09:33:18 PM »

oooh thanks for the linky -  very interesting and some good camera views.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:24:50 PM »

Wonderful! Thanks Harry.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 11:21:22 PM »

Great  :) Chicks as well  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 09:06:20 AM »

Because of the time difference, quite often you see nothing but darkness, so Ive done a couple of caps showing the chicks being feed and a close up of the mum/dad.

Whilst watching I saw one of the chicks do a projectile poo!!!!!!  It went straight over the side of the nest in full view of the cam  :o
I was like WTF was that?  You guys are soooooo  lucky I didnt have my wits about me quick enough to cap it, as the speed and force of it shocked me for a few seconds  :lol:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 12:31:17 AM »

I know it's survival of the fittest in the wild.
 I logged on at 00.15 last night and the two larger chicks where being fed, after some time the mum moved to feed the very small chick when one of the older chicks attacks the small one, who then has it's food.
The small one looks very weak and may not survive.  :'(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 01:49:26 PM »

Oh god I see what you mean, I just looked in now and its feeding time.

Mum had just brought food in the largest chick immediately began pecking at the little one so it moved slowly out of the way.

Mum attempted to bring the prey nearer the tiny chick, but the larger one just moved between them.  Mum keeps looking at the tiny one but each time the larger chicks end up taking the food first and the little one is pushed out completely.

Any attempts it has made has been completely blocked by the middle chick who attacks it and its now just cowering at the back looking very weak.

Feeding time over and the tiny one got nothing.. and as soon as mum left the middle one turned on the little one and started pulling feathers out of it. :(

[attachment deleted by admin]
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 10:12:42 PM »

Poor lil un - he's about a third of the size of the other 2.

Hopefully he manages to get some food soon .... the following shows how cruel nature can be sometimes :(

linky

-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »

There are still three chicks  :).

Three more chicks on Hornby island Nest web cam  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »

I'd been popping in on the odd occasion to check that "Tiny" was managing to survive.  I had watched him eat a couple of times..  but he always make sure during feeding that he's never in line first.  Last time I saw he adopted a tactic that seems to be working.

He keeps his head well down and away from the other 2 when food is first brought in.. and cowered at the back..  but when he judges that the other 2 may have fulfilled most of their hunger he will attempt to sneak in from the back and then get some food.

Sometimes this tactic works, sometimes it doesnt.  Theres times when he wont get any, but if theres been a good days hunting then he will get at least some, or on a couple of occasions at least a decent meal.

Although Ive not seen the cams this weekend, and I cant check atm due to the time difference, but using this tactic he seems to be avoiding most of the bullying from his sibling and is continuing to grow... and he's now quite a bit bigger and seemingly growing stronger day by day. :)

The hancock cams has seek points, and from watching a couple of them from what Ive missed over the w/e it appears that although he's still quite young, he's managed to learn how to self feed on the leftovers. - linky

:clap:
-----