Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wireless connection problems with New Laptop  (Read 5114 times)

Orient80

• Just arrived
Wireless connection problems with New Laptop
« on: March 03, 2009, 12:57:50 PM »

Hi All,

I'm new on here.....Couldn't find an answer to my question on any forum yet...apologies if this does appear on the forum somewhere already.

I am trying to connect my new HP G60-214EM 15.6" Laptop to my Wireless router, I can see my router listed in the Network connection, but when i click on this to use it, it's says 'cannot connect', so I click on Diagnose problem and basically it tells me that it cannot find the router....even though I can see it to choose. My PS3 use the wireless and i have no problems on that......

Does it make a diff that my router model starts with a DG or similar (sorry at work) and not a W.

Sorry if the above is a bit vague I'm a bit of a newbie.

Thanks for any help,

Orient80 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Wireless connection problems with New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:23:40 PM »

It shouldnt make any difference which router model you have - they all work in a similar way.

Are you able to ping your router on its IP address (normally something like 192.168.0.1).

Which software are you using for your connection.. are you using the software that came with your wireless network card.. or are you letting windows manage it?  I normally let windows manage wireless network connections rather than the software that comes with the card.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:42:21 PM »

Hi Orient80

The vista message saying unable to connect could be down to an incorrect password - recheck it.

Restart router and try to connect (ie turn it off for 10 seconds).

Click Start > Start Search and type in CMD.  Above that you will see CMD.EXE, right click it and select Run As Administrator.  Continue on the warning and a black cmd box should appear.

Type:

netsh int ip reset     and then press enter, then type:
netsh winsock reset     and press enter, then reboot the system.

Once rebooted, click Start > Connect To and d/click your router from the list and enter the password..

Let us know what happens.
Paul

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 09:19:53 PM »

There are a couple more things to try related to the security setup for WiFi:

1. If you are using security on the WiFi (and of course you should!) make sure you have the same password or pre-shared key both on the laptop and on the router
2. Check your router access control list, and if you have enabled it, make sure the MAC address of your new laptop is in the list
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 09:14:40 PM by pintosal »