Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can I stop search engines suggesting alternatives?  (Read 3988 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Can I stop search engines suggesting alternatives?
« on: March 02, 2009, 12:20:19 PM »

I am getting very frustrated with search engines like Google etc. When I want to search on unusual words of phrases it will keep on suggesting results which I don't want interspersed with a few I do want. Does anyone know a way of stopping this? It still does it even if I put the word or phrase in double quotes or use advanced search. If there are no results for exactly what I want then for heavens sake why cant it say so and give me an empty list? Why does it have to assume everyone is a moron and can't type or spell and make inane suggestions which are useless?
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Can I stop search engines suggesting alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:22:17 PM »

It still does it even if I put the word or phrase in double quotes or use advanced search.

Boolean
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=boolean&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

That is the name of the system that you use when inserting quotes etc when searching.
Unfortunately you may need to included things like - (minus) or and, to minimise the search range.

But, I believe there is no actual standard as such so you will need to investigate and try various inserts.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Can I stop search engines suggesting alternatives?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 04:17:48 PM »

Yeah I've tried all sorts but the likes of Google just refuse to stop second guessing me. It is also annoying that they always give you all these price comparison sites when all you are looking for is to find a product description which is often the hit on page 2 or 3 once you've gone past all these paid for ad sites etc. I know they have to make money some how but why do they have to intermix the sites who pay them within the search, they should stick to listing those on the right side of the screen.

It's probably me just being a typical G.O.M (grumpy old man) but I do find it annoying to be treated like a moron by these sites.... I know what I'm lloking for but they are just not helpful enough when it comes to products or unusual words.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

anything