Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Voyager interface help  (Read 3120 times)

canon

• Reg Member
BT Voyager interface help
« on: May 09, 2007, 11:36:08 PM »

I'm trying to help a friend (remotely) who's Voyager router keeps dropping connection. It had been fine for some time but recently started giving problems - the connection that is.
I've asked for the stats with the info from this site but I don't know how you get to the log. Can someone please give me the details.
I suspect the problem is a bad extension so have asked her to connect to the master socket and leave it there for a while.

It's a 2Mb connection - what would be the range of stats that would be 'normal' and 'acceptable'?

Friend says the Voyager seems to get quite hot, is this normal?

Thanks,
Terry.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: BT Voyager interface help
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 11:53:25 PM »

which voyager?  Theres lots of different models.

I know the 205 (and a lot of others) runs pretty warm to the touch and this is normal with that router, and doesnt seem in any way to affect performance.

>> It's a 2Mb connection - what would be the range of stats that would be 'normal' and 'acceptable'?

Are your sure its a fixed 2Mb and hasnt recently been upgraded to max, which could be causing the problems now?   If it is fixed then attenuation should be below 42dB and because fixed and max work differently, SNR Margin shouldnt really fall below 6-10dB on a fixed line... 12dB or above is good. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:36:16 AM »

Thanks for the response.
I'm sorry, I didn't get the Voyager model, it's no more than a year old, supplied by BT and has USB as well as ethernet connections available. It is connected via ethernet.
I'll find out more detail later today.
I wondered if has been upgraded to ADSL Max and that has caused the problems but my friend seemed sure it was 2Mb fixed.
More later.
Terry.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 08:58:24 AM »

>> it's no more than a year old, supplied by BT and has USB as well as ethernet connections available.

Most likely the 205, although iirc around that time BT started supplying the 210.

You should be able to get the line stats from the web interface http://192.168.1.1/

Under troubleshooting, look for something similar to

Advanced Diagnostics >
DSL Param
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 06:31:18 PM »

Yes it's a Voyager 210 and been told by my friends they were upgraded to MAX which seems to coincide with start of their problems (surprise, surprise!)
Hopefully I'll get some data back after the weekend when they've connected to the BT master socket.
I've just realised I started this thread in the wrong 'hardware' section of the forum - sorry!
Terry.

anything