Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Printers  (Read 12750 times)

stevie

• Reg Member
Re: Printers
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 03:31:27 PM »

Colour Lasers are the way to go, I`ve given up on Inkjets.

Obviously if you need to print Photos then Inkjets or Dye Subs win hands down, but getting Photos printed on the high street or even online is relatively simple & almost certainly cheaper per print.

I have a HP Colour Laser 1600, Toner carts cost me for a full set of 4 £100 approx, remanufactured carts.

I don`t print regularly & found inkjet carts would dry out & I needed to run the cleaning cycle all the time, with the laser I just print (without issue), I have used Compatible inkjet carts & they were ok most of the time.

I`ve changed 1 Black toner & 1 Yellow toner, you get a low toner warning first & in my case some 2 months later it runs out.

I`m not fruggel with my printing, I can print off 200+ colour leaflets or even as was the case recently 100 photos for the other half for a presentation (There wasn`t a need for photo quality). I`ll gladly print out a 100 page PDF & not worry about running the ink low, which was always a worry with the inkjets.

Pros Lasers
        Lasers are cheaper to run IMHO.
        Lasers are faster on the whole.

Cons Lasers
         Lasers aren`t quite as good at photos, but they ain`t bad.
         Lasers are more expensive initially.

Pros Inkjets
        Inkjets are cheaper initially.
        Inkjets give better photo printing.

Cons Inkjets
         Inkjet carts don`t contain as many pages of Ink as Laser toners.
         More expensive to run IMHO.

For myself, I`ll never ever go back to an Inkjet.

I use plain old/common photo copy paper or for special print runs really good quality paper & the quality is/has been good.

Photos aren`t quite as good as a Inkjet Photo printer, but they aren`t too shabby either.

I know some will faint at paying £100 for a set of replacements, but given the number of pages printed, on my old Epsom, I`d have spent a lot more, albeit in small chunks.

As to whether they`d suit everyone, I cannot say.

But certainly in my case its saved me a lot of money & a whole heap of hassle.

How many pages have I printed with my original carts, dunno, but certainly in excess of 1500 pages, likely 1000 in full colour, I`ve had the Printer for over a year, my biggest problem is ensuring I have paper... :lol:

@OF....Fantastic link to the Toner refill site, its certainly food for thought, although I`m only paying a little more for remanufactured toners, it could easily save me £20 per set & if I can refill 3x, thats £60 a very well worth saving to make....Many thanks.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 03:55:22 PM »

No offence meant, but what do you expect.

I thought that the printer companies would be glad of our custom,oh I forgot they don't make anything on the sale of printers,silly me.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 03:57:37 PM »

Stevie.
They came recommended to me but so far I have only used them the once.
(For anyone living close to them, they do not allow personal collections)

I brought a second-hand HP laserJet for £25 so thought I would get some spare toner, but a year later and it still has not run out, although I don't use it very much so it's not really surprising.

I have seen Colour Laser prints printed onto photo paper and the result was excellent.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 04:06:51 PM »

1. I thought that the printer companies would be glad of our custom,

2. oh I forgot they don't make anything on the sale of printers,silly me.

1. Yes they are glad of your custom. For the huge amount of money we spend on ink during the printers lifetime.
When most people purchase a printer they tend to go back to the same place to purchase refills, until that is they learn better.

2. I didn't say they don't make any money on the sale of a printer, but in most cases they are used as loss leaders.
Although any profit is probably minimal.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:29:35 PM by oldfogy »

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 04:20:55 PM »

Stevie.
They came recommended to me but so far I have only used them the once.
(For anyone living close to them, they do not allow personal collections) I did spot that....Hmmm??? although I wonder if someone was insistent they`d change their mind, after all there is a recession on..

I brought a second-hand HP laserJet for £25 so thought I would get some spare toner, but a year later and it still has not run out, although I don't use it very much so it's not really surprising. Not a bad price

I have seen Colour Laser prints printed onto photo paper and the result was excellent. I`ve printed photos onto Inkjet photo paper & like I said they ain`t too shabby, I should try on some proper laser photo paper..

The problem is many people look at the sale price & think.. "Wow Thats expensive when looking at a laser" considering a Inkjet can cost as low as £30 & the cheapest colour laser is £100+ although I believe there is a Samsung sub £100....IIRC.

Depending on what you want from a printer cheapest initial cost isn`t always cheapest in the long run.

Its very much like ADSL, people can get sucked in by the Headline prices & the "Unlimited" Banners, get all you want for less than £10, phone, Broadband etc complete with all the *`s & T&C`s that many don`t read or understand.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 04:38:39 PM »

(For anyone living close to them, they do not allow personal collections) I did spot that....Hmmm??? although I wonder if someone was insistent they`d change their mind, after all there is a recession on..

No they will not.
I can almost see them from where I live, and even I had to have P&P (which was reasonable)

The problem is the type and layout of the building/complex.

It is a multi occupied complex with also a fair few "jewellers" in the complex.
Basically what happened was that they are that busy other businesses in the complex complained about the high volume of people traffic coming and going.

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 05:10:21 PM »

No they will not.
I can almost see them from where I live, and even I had to have P&P (which was reasonable)

The problem is the type and layout of the building/complex.

It is a multi occupied complex with also a fair few "jewellers" in the complex.
Basically what happened was that they are that busy other businesses in the complex complained about the high volume of people traffic coming and going.

Ahh....I noticed the "Jewellers" bit, that would present problems....they are paranoid about security & rightly so...

But there must be an opportunity for someone or a local shop to do a pick up & allow collection from them for a small fee £1.00/item perhaps. Don`t know how many personal pick-ups it would amount to, but if it was say 50/day theres plenty of shops who`d appreciate the extra revenue.....Maybe you could offer that service? Simply wander over with a Tesco trolley & collect the items & so on....lol
Pages: 1 [2]

anything