Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Printers  (Read 12724 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Printers
« on: March 01, 2009, 08:02:47 AM »

Just wondering what printer you'd recommend that's economical with ink that I could use on my Windows 98 SE OS?

I already have two Epsons (6 yrs old) still working... BUT having used compat cartridges they are really playing up, inking all over the place, blotting et al so I'm really fed up with them.  I use a printer a lot on my computer with crafting et al. 

We bought a new all in one Epson SX400 for this computer (Win XP) but it's not compatible to go on my Win 98, so can't use it on there, also I'm not impressed with this one because I've not done a lot of printing and yet the cartridges are almost empty  :o :o  I don't want to use compats on it either because of what they've done to the other 2 Epson printers...so this one is going to be expensive to run using original cartridges  :(.

I wondered what printer would give me good quality, isn't too expensive to buy but most of all, is reasonable to run re the inks.  I've never had anything but Epson but they can't be refilled though the two old printers have always been economical with cartridges lasting ages.  Do other makes come like this but work well with compats (or have I been buying them from the wrong place - Choice Stationery)...never bought anywhere else.

Would be interested to hear what others have got in the way of printers and how reasonable they are to run.

Thanks
Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Printers
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »

Chrissie I think it all depends on what sort of output you are expecting.

I have three printers on my desk. I have a Hiti thermal dye sublimation printer which I use for photos it only prints 6x4 inch size but superb quality, I also have a Kodak G600 similar type which is for my wife's Kodak camera as it has a dock on top for the camera, and then I have an Epson Stylus Photo R800 ink jet which is used for normal printing but the main reason  got it was for printing larger copies of photos up to A4 and it takes roll paper for panoramas. All there os these printers can be expensive to run the Hiti and Kodak work out at 30 pence per print, I've no idea what the R800 costs but I only use Epson carts which I get from 7dayshop at around £11.50 per cart and it has seven.

Personally I would stick with one of the two big brands Epson or Canon for ink jets, however since W98 is no longer supported I think you will struggle to find anyone who has drivers, if the PC can cope I'd upgrade to XP or go to one flavour of Linux as many have drivers for the newer printers. Another issue to consider is that most printers nowadays use USb or Firewire for connectivity few use the old centronics printer interface.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 08:52:20 AM »

With Win98 as your o/s you will struggle to find anything thats now compatible.One alternative is a home colour laser printer.I don't know how much your budget is but have a look at this.

http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php/28218/canon-laser-shot-lbp5000-colour-laser-printer

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »

1. I already have two Epsons (6 yrs old) still working...

2. BUT having used compat cartridges they are really playing up, inking all over the place, blotting et al so I'm really fed up with them.  I use a printer a lot on my computer with crafting et al. 

3. I've not done a lot of printing and yet the cartridges are almost empty 
1. After 6 years have you ever changed or cleaned the ink over-flow pads?

2. One of the main reasons for print blotching all over the place (as you put it) is down to using "really cheap paper (cheap quality that is)" at some time or other, the print-heads now need cleaning to remove the build-up of paper fluff that is causing the ink to drag.

3. Very few printers are ever supplied with  a full set of ink cartridges, usually what are supplied are what you could call starter cartridges which are probably only 50% full to start with.
"Don't forget" manufacturer's make their money on ink refills not on the price of a printer, so they want you to start buying cartridges as soon as possible.

In defence of compatible cartridges.
Apart from the cartridges that came with my printer, I have only ever used compatible cartridges and "never" experienced any problem with them.
Less than £5 for a full set of 6 compatibles against £60+ for "so-called-genuine" (of which by the way use the same ink as these so called none genuine cartridges.

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 10:50:10 AM »

I'm on my third Epson printer, and every time I have used compatibles I have experienced problems.  This may well be due to the fact that I don't print very much at all, and then when I do the ink seems to have dried up and I have to go through several cleaning cycles to get it to work again.  However, using genuine Epson, I never have a problem, even if it's a month since I printed anything, it works straight away.

I have now given up on compatibles, I find it cheaper in the long run to use the recommended ones

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 11:01:37 AM »

With Win98 as your o/s you will struggle to find anything thats now compatible.One alternative is a home colour laser printer.I don't know how much your budget is but have a look at this.

http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php/28218/canon-laser-shot-lbp5000-colour-laser-printer

CMIIW - but a full set of replacement toner carts for this would be around£200?   :o

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:05:52 AM »

I am now on my 3rd Epson printer in 15 years.

Printer No1 Stylus Color, died after I tried to fix it "when it wasn't really broken to start with".
(removed the print heads to clean paper fluff build-up and did not realign them back properly)

Printer No2 R300, failed during the guarantee period.

Printer No3 R300, still going strong,

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:11:39 AM »

CMIIW - but a full set of replacement toner carts for this would be around£200?   :o

That's as maybe, but don't forget with most of these printers you are talking about printing "thousands" of prints before replacing the toner cartridge. Although it's certainly worth finding out if the cartridges are combined or separate. (not that that matters if you are re-filling your self)

And you can still get compatibles, even for laser printers.
Only ever used once, but the delivery was excellent (STILL waiting for the printer to run out to be able to use the new toner)
http://www.refilltoner.com/

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:16:45 AM by oldfogy »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »

Thanks everyone.  No I've never tried cleaning the print heads or over-flow pads OF...just don't like to mess in case I can't get them to work and I don't know how to do it... sigh.  I thought the Epson's came with built in heads in the cartridges...tho not sure.  I wondered whether to try another compatible rather then the "Think" ones that Choice Stationery supply, they are the only ones I've ever used.  So maybe I should try another "brand".... don't know which one to use though and where to get them.....so if you can help there I would be grateful.

Don't think I could think about the Laser one Uncy just in case of problems AND the cost of the toner replacement....I do and would do more printing on my Win 98SE because of my card and craft making.... but thanks for telling me about it.

I usually find that the printers are more trouble when new cartridges are used, but even then....they can be ok one time and not the next...grrrr.  I don't really want to upgrade my computer as it needs too much doing to it.... I've got a Home Publishing thing on it which is my "bible" and I know it won't work with Win XP.....sob.

With what Anne said about the compatibles I'm loathe to buy them for the SX400 because I don't want problems with that, but to get the Epson ones it will cost nearly £30.  I know the original ones aren't full because of a convo I had with one of their help lines....the guy told me on there when I replace the original set I should get more use out of them  :o  so what does that tell you!

Thanks for your help everyone....I'm keeping all crossed that perhaps a change of compatible ink might do the trick...   :-\
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 11:49:22 AM »

> No I've never tried cleaning the print heads or over-flow pads OF...just don't like to mess in case I can't get them to work and I don't know how to do it... sigh.

A wise decision.

> I thought the Epson's came with built in heads in the cartridges...
so if you can help there I would be grateful.

No Epson cartridges do not have the  print heads built into the cartridge.
For a good reliable supplier try the link on my second post in tyhis thread.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=4406.new;topicseen#new

> with that, but to get the Epson ones it will cost nearly £30.
Again see the price comparison from the other thread (£5 v £60)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 11:50:55 AM »

At present I have a HP photosmart 8250,it has 5 coloured cartridges and 1 black.I don't do much printing but find when I turn on the printer(say after not using for about a week) it seems to use quite a bit of ink running through 'essential maintainence'.
Also when the expiry date has passed on the cartridges,even though they are still quite full,you getting annoying pop-up messages telling you they have expired and to change them.
Do other makes of printer do this?

Just to add,I have always used genuine HP cartridges.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 12:05:32 PM »

Do other makes of printer do this?
No offence meant, but what do you expect.

Manufacturers want you to buy more new ones.
No, I doubt very much if compatibles flag up a expiry message. (but only guessing)

However, considering the age of cartridges, you must either have a big stock or someone has been selling you their old stuff.

edit
Maybe in fairness to the printer manufacturers, another explanation is called for.
Considering that the date on cartridges is possibly anywhere between 3 & 5 years old, then they are warning you that the cartridge "may" have come to the end of of useful life expectancy, and to use after this date may be detrimental to your printer.

I have to admit the only time I have come across out of date cartridges was from some one who brought some job lots from a computer fair.
However, they fitted my old Epson Stylus printer and I never had a problem with them either.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:23:15 PM by oldfogy »

fudgem

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 12:21:26 PM »

Just a point Chrissie, my epson has been telling me my black ink is low for the past month, but it is still printing.  I don't change the cartridges until the printer doesn't work any more.  Having said that, the low ink message is useful sometimes when I've forgotten to get replacements in

scottiesmum

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »

Chrissie,  I use this firm, and have for a few years now.  The supply compatible Epson cartridges under the JetTec mark.  I have used them in a previous printer (I had to change the printer when I upgraded to XP)  and in my present printer which is now about 4 years old, without any problem at all.   They are reasonably priced, and delivery is free (that is an added attraction for me !)

http://www.proprint.co.uk/epson.htm

hth.   :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »

I think the main concern with other makes of cartridge is not the quality, at least not for me, it is the accuracy of the ink colour. I often print photos and always use the profiles for colour management which are supplied by the paper manufacturer and these are always based on the original ink which is of a known colour. Now if you dont print photos then fine other makes may be fine, although I do know of people who have had problems, also remember if you use non-original makes during your guarantee period you will usually invalidate it.

As I said earlier what printer works best for you will be the one which most closely matches your printing requirements.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: [1] 2

anything