Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ADSLMax speed issue  (Read 8460 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ADSLMax speed issue
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 01:36:01 PM »

>> So basically if I am on a VP with other users from isps who have huge off peak download limits (say p2p downloaders) then I am going to get stuffed because of them.

Sadly yes :/

On the up side more and more ISPs are having to cut back and introduce caps etc.
Exchange contention was particularly bad in the evenings on a heck of a lot of exchanges last year..  (before ISPs started introducing FUPs etc).
It really only can take a couple of heavies to upset a VP (as I know first hand) :(

>> Have to say I hardly got any slowdown (thurs) afternoon and my connection since then has been excellent.

Possibly is a couple of business users utilising the network then, and they "broke up" early on thurs afternoon.
Its possible that in your town theres a couple of businesses (a lot of ISPs dont impose caps on business accounts like they do with the home accounts)..  and a few of their employees are perhaps heaving utilising the connection to download stuff they cant at home.
(Just guessing).

>> Any other solutions......

Wait for BT to notice that your particular VP is running a bit hot and upgrade it.
Have you checked the exchange checker here..   not all checkers are up to date since BT only release the info once a month.. so even the most up to date can still sometimes be behind until BT issue the next batch of info.

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 02:01:32 PM »

Wait for BT to notice that your particular VP is running a bit hot and upgrade it.
Have you checked the exchange checker here..   not all checkers are up to date since BT only release the info once a month.. so even the most up to date can still sometimes be behind until BT issue the next batch of info.

Well my exchange was upgraded recently ie Feb 07. Previously, it had been on red for almost a year. That is the reason I upgraded to Max.

In respect of the recent upgrade undertaken by BT, my ignorance of the subject would compel me to think that all of my exchange's VPs were upgraded but I am sure that you may correct me on this point.

Many thanks ...Happy Easter

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 04:04:46 PM »

Everyone must hate me on my exchange(LCFLW). I tend to rack up about 50-80GB a month. I never seem to get hit with contention because i'm on MAX Premium although there are a few times were F9 seem to start dropping my packets on usenet but then i just pay them a large sum of money  :P. I have notced with F9 that changing gateways can get you back to full speed for a while.

PS. I'm not sure whether this is still the case but i used to get the green BTW holding page quite a bit and if you right click one of the images i think the source of the image(ie. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/anyimage.jpg) was the DSLAM you were on.

Not sure about that, does anyone else know whether that is the case.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 10:19:04 PM by jabns »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 07:54:32 PM »

>>> Everyone must hate me on my exchange(LCFLW).

Hmmm... so its you that steals all my bandwidth then eh?
Actually from my experience they must have increased the backhaul on the VP Im on around xmas since I was getting pretty much max (or at least circa 6Mb peak) most of the time.
Noticed its been decreasing a fair bit though over the past few weeks and last time I checked it was more like 4-5Mb.

From what I can see of our exchange though they seem to be running down some of the old dslams by taking users off them and putting all the max users on MSANs.  iirc they delivered a new one last Novish meaning we now have 2.

>> i just switch the to USENET over SSL or just tunnel it as HTTP traffic.

Theres a few ISP reps that frequent this forum  :-\

>> if you right click one of the images i think the source of the image(ie. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/anyimage.jpg) was the DSLAM you were on.

Not that Im aware of.  The images are hosted on the BT webserver, not at the exchange.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 09:13:41 PM »

Theres a few ISP reps that frequent this forum  :Undecided:

What are you on about  :angel: . (wink, play along kitz) lol.

Not that Im aware of.  The images are hosted on the BT webserver, not at the exchange.

It was just what i got told ages ago and silly me belived them.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 09:25:45 PM by jabns »

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 11:15:29 AM »

Just to update this ongoing saga. The problem summarised is that approx between the hours of 12am and 6pm on weekdays my BB speed falls from about 6Mb to between 1-2Mb.

A BT engineer came around about a month ago. He appeared at 10am even though a pm appointment had been requested for obvious reasons.

Nevertheless, I spoke for quite some time with this chap and found out that he is not so much an 'engineer' but instead a bod who, how can I best describe this, checks that the consumer has plugged everything correctly and that the internet connection works. This chap was not a BT guy but was contracted out.

Once he has ascertained that the connection is 'basically' working he reports his findings to the 'special investigation team' who will report.

Given that the BT 'engineer' arrived at 10am, he carried out no tests and I set about explaining the problem to him. He said he would write it up in his notes and forward this to this special team.

A month on and having submitted more BT speedtester results to my ISP. BT are saying that it is a congestion issue. Well perhaps that is partially correct but the BT speedtest results that I run between 12am and 6pm give resutls of between 1200kbps and 3500kbps. Outside of those hours runs at a solid 6000+kbps. The results I get in the afternoon from my isp's speedtester are even lower than the ones recorded by the BT speedtester. I registered 550kbps yesterday.

In any case, another BT engineer appointment is being organised and I will update this thread in case it is of value to anyone.

Not sure if anybody has any more advice to offer.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 11:18:16 AM by risk_reversal »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything