Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A law for them and..........  (Read 2075 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
A law for them and..........
« on: February 25, 2009, 02:10:01 PM »

I have been following this case with interest as its quite close to where I live

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/7909510.stm

Outside court Lord Ahmed's solicitor, Steve Smith, said he thought his client had been used as a "scapegoat" by those attempting to drive home the message about not using a mobile phone while at the wheel.

He said he was launching an immediate appeal against the sentence.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 06:01:55 PM by UncleUB »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: A law for them and..........
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 04:10:35 PM »

In the circumstances the sentence seems extremely lenient. >:(
  Eric

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 04:38:43 PM »

Just a thought guys - can you imagine what would happen if you or I were involved in such an incident, whilst using a mobile phone while driving. I'd be having to duck to avoid all the bl**dy books being thrown at me. Instead of which this lord is virtually let off Scot free. 

Or am I being a Grumpy Old Git ?
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »

You're being an absolutely reasonable grumpy old git :)
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:08:16 PM »

A Labour peer who sent and received text messages minutes before he was involved in a fatal crash on the M1 has been jailed for 12 weeks.

He'll probably be out after 3 weeks on a tag.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:15:30 AM »

I get so fed up seeing so many people using mobile phones whilst driving, usually talking rather than texting, it seems this law is broken hundreds of times every day, though I realise how difficult it must be to crack down on this going on.  Probably even more so when one hardly sees a police car about now!!  I think people should be dealt with severely whilst using a phone (or even smoking at the wheel).

However, it was made clear in this case that Ahmed wasn't using the phone for three miles before the accident happened so in my opinion it wasn't a direct cause of the accident and apparently it happened in the dark too with the other car in the outside lane.  Not that I condone this mans blatant ignoring of the law whilst driving, he should be punished for it without a doubt, but the accident could have happened anyway with any motorist who hadn't been using a phone previously. 
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 12:11:35 PM »

However, it was made clear in this case that Ahmed wasn't using the phone for three miles before the accident happened so in my opinion it wasn't a direct cause of the accident and apparently it happened in the dark too with the other car in the outside lane.

So why all the hoo ha over the texting bit (which obviously was wrong to begin with)
So why all the hoo ha over the texting bit, simply to be able to distort the facts of what really happened!

The problem with the gutter press is it only shows you what it wants to show you (the bad bits) and not the whole story, or at least not the whole story in one go.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »

Just a quick observation on this issue - Would I be correct in thinking that as part of his duties in the House of Lords he would have been involved in the passage of legislation through parliament which has now made using a mobile phone whilst in charge of a vehicle an offence ?

What the hell is going on here ?
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

scottiesmum

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 12:28:18 PM »

From my understanding there was no question  to the fact that he had used his 'phone whilst driving, texting apparently!      The car which he crashed into had been involved an a previous accident and was facing the wrong way on the outside lane, an accident waiting to happen !!     He was apparently blamelessly involved in the accident which resulted in a fatality.    He was found guilty of Dangerous Driving,  his driving record was taken into consideration in the, IMO,   derisory sentencing.    You can listen here   ....      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7911011.stm 

He was driving dangerously, no doubt about that,  and I certainly don't agree with his legal representative, but  I  doubt he will  not  be granted  an appeal.