Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT  (Read 4051 times)

Shaft

BT
« on: March 30, 2007, 11:46:16 AM »

I see a lot of comment about the BT test socket.    Many years ago, when you could first use your own telephone as opposed to the BT Black standard, I got The PO as it was then known to fit a socket that I could plug any phone into instead of the hard wired socket that was there from when they installed my first phone line 1976.   All I have now is a hard wired box above the front door and a single socket in the front room, there is no test socket behind it.    I actually replaced it with a double socket last year when I had Sky installed. 
My question being when did they (BT) instal these sockets with a test socket behind?
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this but i am curious about it and couldn't find any other forum.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:41:46 PM »

I can't give you a date, but the NTE/5 socket has been standard for quite a long time - maybe 15 years. However there are still a lot of people in your position, with older installations. You can pay BT to fit an NTE/5, or they will do it for free if your present one develops a fault.

Eric
  Eric

Shaft

BT
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 02:44:19 PM »

Thanks for that Eric

Rob

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 04:00:01 PM »

You're welcome. :)
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 12:10:41 PM »

Just for info, I've merged these topics together so things make more sense :)
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 11:05:08 PM »

FYI or for anyone who is interested....  theres details here how to legally do a DIY version of installing an NTE5 socket.

http://clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »

Further to kitz post, for fully accurate line testing when required you can cut the test resistor out of the NTE5.
Since it isn't ever going to be used as the official master, it might be worth while.
When you have the "network" part of the NTE5 in your hand your notice the back all just clips together, simply release the clip and the back plastic part will come away and the circuit board will be accessible. Then simply use pliers to remove the test resistor. Then reassemble.

The clarity article mentions how you can adapt a lead to plug in the NTE5 if your not permitted to touch the hardwired cabling. If this is the case, consider using proper extension cable and a plug crimping set. You can wire a BT plug with extension cable as shown in a diagram here.

If wiring up an NTE5 master, I would probably remove the orange pair from the cable to help prevent confusion. Perhaps this would also help DSL connections as it means there is no ring signal on the wire.

Shaft

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 04:19:35 PM »

Thank you all for the replies, I now know where I stand.

Is it still BTs even though I am with Talk Talk?

I never had a box with the BT logo on it as it was fitted long before that came in!

Regards Shaft

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 10:04:35 AM »

>> Is it still BTs even though I am with Talk Talk?

Do you mean TT for your adsl or adsl and phone?

If its the latter than equipment up to the exchange will belong to TT (if LLU), but the cable from the exchange to your home still "belongs" to BT and is their responsibility.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Shaft

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 07:44:20 PM »

Sorry to respond so late been away.    I pay TT for everything adsl, phone and line rental.
Thanks for all the responses.

anything