Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: End users will be able to manage their own target noise margin  (Read 6116 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
End users will be able to manage their own target noise margin
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:56:20 PM »

An interesting posting on the ADSL24 forum. Apparently, with IPSC interconnect, users will be able to specify three different levels of stability - normal, stable and super stable - on regular ADSL Max as well as on ADSL2+. These stability settings are actually different levels of target noise margin. So if this works it will allow people to manage their own target noise margins instead of relying on the slow and uncertain automatic processes.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: End users will be able to manage their own target noise margin
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:19:09 AM »

oooh nice one -
I had heard that something like this was in the long term plan & to give the EU more configuration options.  IIRC the intended profiles were something like "normal", "stable" and "superstable", but Ive no idea how it maps to target SNR figures.
I would assume 6dB, 9dB and 12dB would be likely?  Interleaving ON/OFF is also supposed to be in there too, as were faster profile changes.

Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) was also mentioned for 21cn/wbc.  However I've no idea as and when each of these are intended to roll live.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:22:45 AM »

I prefer the Be* options of 3, 6 and 9dB. Plus interleaving control.  8)

(my 3dB line dropped to around 1dB this evening, but stayed stable and is now at 1.9dB!)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:29:36 AM »

Me too, but since BT have always defined default as 6dB, then it would make sense to me that this is where they would map 'normal' to.  Stable and superstable would suggest an increase over normal hence my assumption of 6,9,12...  and please note that was my interpretation since afaik nothing has ever been said what they will be.

Could be interesting how they deal with SRA - may well stop a lot of complaints about disconnects from the lesser informed users.

Faster profile changes though is a a biggy for BT, as the current 'up to 5 days' for IPprofiles and even longer for target SNR changes are a major bug-bear for many.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 12:35:13 AM »

>> (my 3dB line dropped to around 1dB this evening, but stayed stable and is now at 1.9dB!)

Yep - my own line copes quite happily on the 3dB target too..  and takes random dips which Ive never been able to get to the bottom off.  I suspect something to do with a neighbour cause its not here.
-----

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 05:57:11 PM »

Thanks for the 'heads up' roseway.

As someone on an IPSC connection (Freeola/EntaNet) and also with quite a flakey line this sounds like good news  :)

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »

Just to add to this...

The owner of ADSL24 is saying that this isn't only going to be an IPSC feature but allegedly coming for all Max users...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »

That's interesting, but I think I've read that all BT-based connections will be moved over to IPSC in the fairly near future.
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 06:18:14 PM »

an Aussie one ? :lol:
zen user

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 06:23:49 PM »

That's interesting, but I think I've read that all BT-based connections will be moved over to IPSC in the fairly near future.

I've read that too but I believe they are two separate things  :)

dieselglider

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 02:54:15 PM »

I posted about this over at Plusnet, and got a few replies including;
It's absolutely not a way of decreasing the target SNR...

And;
It's basically an increase in interleaving depth and SNR above the default.

On other words, changing the "service option" will make your speed worse than it already is - but it will be more stable connectivity wise.

In other words, I don't think they're in favour.  The same rep also said it had been around for about 8 months.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 04:43:38 PM »

I can't recall exactly where I got the info now from as Ive had the document since last year... but this is what it says on the BTw doc.

WBC options for reducing fault costs

Broadband on 21CN extends this capability to deliver  :
   Faster profile changes and greater granularity
   Proactive repair tools
   Delivering more information/tools to customers for complex fault diagnosis
   Selectable profiles – standard stable and super-stable (for video)
   Seamless rate adaptation

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 05:25:56 PM »

btw there was also an image with this [see attatchment below].
As I mentioned in my earlier post there was no actual definitions of the figures, but from the image it allows 6 different configurations.

Below are the 6 different profiles.  The figures in italics being my assumption of what they are most likely to be.

1) Interleaving OFF - Normal profile (likely 6dB Target SNR)
2) Interleaving OFF - Stable profile (probably 9dB Target SNR?)
3) Interleaving OFF - SuperStable profile (probably 12dB SNR?)
4) Interleaving ON - Normal profile (likely 6dB Target SNR)
5) Interleaving ON - Stable profile (probably 9dB Target SNR + possible increased depth of interleaving?)
6) Interleaving ON - Super Stable (probably 12dB Target SNR + possible further increased depth of interleaving?)

>> It's absolutely not a way of decreasing the target SNR...

Since the profiles are also available for non interleaved lines...  then surely that means that it must involve changing the Target SNR.
If a line is non-interleaved..  changing interleaving depth would be a complete waste of time!

Based on the fact that a 3dB Target profile change will make a difference of anything from 400kbps to 1200kbps of sync speed depending on how many bits are loaded per bin..  this ties in very nicely with what James from adsl24 has said about each step lowering the sync speed by about 800k. 
(800kbps is a fair figure to quote as average for 3dB of target SNR).

-------------

btw forgot to mention - increasing interleaving depth adds to delay (increased latency). Therefore increasing interleaving depth doesnt effect your sync speed.. but it does increase your ping times.  Latency != speed.

Theres also one other configurable attribute that also hasnt been mentioned and thats error correction, which is turned on when interleaving is applied.  Theres little (read none) information from BT how they handle this, but they certainly do appear to have different levels of error-correction.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:46:47 PM by kitz »
-----