Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Connection Stopping  (Read 5392 times)

pacman

• Just arrived
Connection Stopping
« on: February 18, 2009, 09:41:50 PM »

Hi,

Any one have any ideas, my connection keeps stopping with the internet, I've been through AOL's tech helpline many times and everything seems OK but after 15 mins it just stops, I've uninstalled AVG and Zonealarm but it does not help.

Windows Vista on a dual core machine connected through a Thomson Speedtouch router hardwired

When the connection goes down I am still able to connect wi fi through my phone

Help

Cheers

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Connection Stopping
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 11:16:58 PM »

I have a feeling this is also a common occurrence with AOL.
There is or used to be a setting that said something like "Disconnect when either no activity or when connection may no longer be required"
The only problem I used to find when I had AOL was, it could never get it right.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »

When the connection goes down I am still able to connect wi fi through my phone

There's the crucial bit.

There's only two things that come to mind... MTU or your web browser.

Apparently MTU should be set to 1450 for AOL connections. See kitz's Vista MTU guide for how to change this in Vista, and see if that makes a difference.

Have you got access to another wired PC (or laptop plugged in) to see if the problem is local to your PC or is it to do with all wired connections?

Alternatively, have you tried a different browser? I don't know what you're using but IE does have a tendency to hang up occasionally. When it does hang, does closing and re-opening the browser cause it to work again?

Alternative browsers: Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome, and don't forget Apple Safari too!
Chris

pacman

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 06:10:19 PM »

Hi,

will try the MTU but yes I am using Firefox and IE and also the web browser in AOL stops working.

Cheers