Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Increased my internet speed by 75%...thought i should share  (Read 51200 times)

mikk

Increased my internet speed by 75%...thought i should share
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:28:06 AM »

I'm no expert so feel free to correct me!

I'm a computer geek guys, plain and simple! Im doin network technologies at Uni and am always wantin faster downloads. I got my line upgraded from 1 meg to 'Up to 8 meg' and have been waiting on this annoying speed test, the test finally settled down at about 2900kbs which i wasnt completely satisfied with to be honest. I'd been reading about interference noise reducing connection speed and length of line obviously effecting signal power and there for speed. I set off researching on how i could improve my connection. I already had a few ideas.

-- Move Router (i use 2 in my home network) to the main tel. line (used to be on and extention line of the main socket)
-- Cut out some excess line that wasnt needed.

I looked it all up and it seemed pretty straight forward, so i took a screenie of line stats from my home hub (which isnt the best of routers but it'll do!)

The third line down shows that the upload speed is at 448kbs (this didnt change)
The third line also shows that my download speed was at 2900kbs.

Usefull Info on profiles:

ATM Line sync speed
IP Data Rate
from 288Kbps 0.25Mbps
from 576Kbps 0.5Mbps
from 1152Kbps 1Mbps
from 1728Kbps 1.5Mbps
from 2272Kbps 2Mbps
from 2848Kbps 2.5Mbps
from 3424Kbps 3Mbps
from 4000Kbps 3.5Mbps
from 4544Kbps 4Mbps
from 5120Kbps 4.5Mbps
from 5696Kbps 5Mbps
from 6240Kbps 5.5Mbps
from 6816Kbps 6Mbps
From 7392Kbps 6.5Mbps
from 7968Kbps 7Mbps
from 8128Kbps 7.15Mbps

For me the above data shows that i'd only get 2.5 meg because my line syncs at 2900. I figured id try change that!

What i did:

1.Dismatled my network and started from scratch. (2 routers and some network cable)
2. Opened up the main socket and disconnected all extension sockets (3 in total, 1 to the study (which was reconnected later to hold the phone)2, up stairs into my room which was where my primary router was situated to start with (when you think about it, kinda common sense not to have it 20 odd feet away from where the signal comes into the house!) 3, into the front room)
3. connected the routers together (Master socket >> BT home Hub >>Network cable>> Second router (Now in my room) )then connected the second phone line (also into the master socket) into the study for the phones and ran the same line stats test, this is what i got...

Third line again, upload speed hadn't changed...but i didnt expect it to tbh..

Download speed now at about 5,400kbs (increasing it by 2500kbs (AKA 2.5meg))

This is due to better line conditions, there is less interference with the frequiencies traveling down the line because i removed all that extra wiring (about 50 odd feet i'd say). Now i just need to wait for my bRAS profile to update itself and i'll be downloading at double the speed for no extra cost =D

Just thought i'd share it with you all but this probably wont apply to people outside the UK because of the much better infrastructure you guys have =(

This would only really work for you if--

-- You have quite an old house (wiring pre 2000ish)
-- You use telephone lines for your internet
-- You have lots telephone sockets
-- Your on Broadband
-- You dont have the speed you think you should have i.e The Speed advertised is 10 meg and you only get 3 even though your only 1.5km away from the exchange (sadly not in my case im 3.5 km away from my exchange)

Anyway I'm happy, if your going to attempt this there are alot of guides you should read before trying it. It's illegal if you start messing with the internal wiring of your master socket (because BT own those) so if you do start messing with wires be carefull! Dont say i didnt warn you!.

If any1 is thinking of a bit of home optimisation be carefull, DONT DO IT if you dont know what your doing, i take no responsibility if you mess up!!

Figured you guys would be especially interested in this!

Kind Regards

Mikk
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 10:40:50 AM by mikk »

mikk

Re: Increased my internet speed by 75%...thought i should share
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 10:30:23 AM »

Just so you guys know...I've moved back from my home hub to my old voyager 2100 due to download speed problems on certain applications  :angel:

the 2100 gives weaker stats and drops every so often so i might look into purchasing a better router....

Mikk

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 11:27:54 AM »

Hi mikk welcome to the forums.

Thank you for your detailed guide of how you improved your speeds. 
Very interesting article and will hopefully be of use to others :)
The master socket is where your signal is always going to be optimum so if you are getting slower speeds than anticipated this is where you should try locate your router.

One of the other things you can also do is install an adsl filtered NTE5 master faceplate.  These negate the need for adsl splitters by filtering the adsl and telephone signals at point of entry to your home, helping many people improve their adsl signal.

Theres a test socket behind the master socket from which you can test your router in to see if you get a stronger signal from there - if so then an NTE5 faceplate will certainly help.
Theres a bit more info and a couple of other tricks you can try on my low SNR page.

Couple of minor points just for clarification more than anything else really -
448 kbps is the maximum upstream speed for adsl IPStream home accounts in the UK so you wont be able get any more than that.
Same theories re adsl apply in many countries outside the UK, so its not just UK users that will benefit from carrying out these home tweaks.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 11:34:12 AM »

Just so you guys know...I've moved back from my home hub to my old voyager 2100 due to download speed problems on certain applications 
the 2100 gives weaker stats and drops every so often so i might look into purchasing a better router....

Interesting that the HH is giving you the better signal, since I have heard many people having problems with them. 
The Voyager 2100 uses a broadcom chipset (similar to the one in the Netgear  DG834GT), and normally they provide fairly stable stats.  I know someone that uses a Voyager 2110 (same as the 2100) which stablised his line when a couple of others wouldnt.  One of the nice things about the Voyager 2100/2110 is that theres also a version of DMT that works with it so you can manually alter your Target SNR.

Normally I recommend the Netgear for stability, but if you are in to tweaking your connection yourself using DMT then look at some of the speedtouch routers.

----

[Post edited to remove DG834G v3 ]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 03:10:22 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

havelock

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:16:13 PM »

The Netgear DG834 (It's the one sky supply) can also be tweaked fairly easily via a simple web page;

http://dg834gt.mognuts.com

I've used it myself but as always be careful playing with tools if you don't understand 'em. It'll likely void your warranty if you fudge your router using this tool.

Rgds
Havelock

mikk

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 12:26:43 PM »

Hey Kitz, thanks for the replys!

Just to let you know, i have the router plugged into the master socket well through a microfilter (that also has an extension coming out of it for phones in another room) With the HH i was getting a stable 4,800kbs adsl line & ip profile of 4000. but as i said weak download speeds on limewire etc, even with ports forwarded i was only getting 10kbs no matter how many seeds there were- which was annoying. Thats why i've moved to the voyager, when i changed the routers over BT thought it was a line crash and slapped me on 256k ( should be back to 4meg by tomorrow...hopefully) but the drops that the 2100 has been having doesnt fill me with confidence. Speaking of switching routers... do you know a way to swap routers and not causing a (from BT's point of view) a router or line crash?

PS. When playing games on the 360 and PC i get kicked off due to loss of key packets (on the PC) and because the "game is no longer available" on the 360(pretty much the same thing i think tbh) Any ideas?- This is when using the HH.

PPS. I'd not been able to access the HH for some reason. Well the HH web interface anyway. I used telnet and got in.... but im not too good on telnet so i left it alone.

Kind regards

Mikk
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:49:52 PM by mikk »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:49:04 PM »

Thats why i've moved to the voyager, when i changed the routers over BT thought it was a line crash and slapped me on 256k ( should be back to 4meg by tomorrow...hopefully) but the drops that the 2100 has been having doesnt fill me with confidence. Speaking of switching routers... do you know a way to swap routers and not causing a (from BT's point of view) a router or line crash?

I've never heard of that happening before. I've switched routers umpteen times with no problems. I think it's more likely that when you changed you had a low-speed sync for some reason, and this resulted in a low IP profile.

Eric
  Eric

mikk

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »

Hey Roseway,

yeah i guess that makes sense! Just wish there was a way around it instead of having very slow internet for 24 - 48 hourse  :'(

Kind regards
Mikk

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 02:13:49 PM »

Thats why i've moved to the voyager, when i changed the routers over BT thought it was a line crash and slapped me on 256k ( should be back to 4meg by tomorrow...hopefully) but the drops that the 2100 has been having doesnt fill me with confidence. Speaking of switching routers... do you know a way to swap routers and not causing a (from BT's point of view) a router or line crash?

You want to power off the first router and wait a little while before powering up the other. If you simply whip out the DSL lead and plug it in the other one the speed will drop.

The HH played up the other day and I put in a Voyager 2500 for a bit. I unplugged at the mains and left it for about 5 minutes before turning on the Voyager 2500. When I powered it up it synced at a better rate and didn't drop the IP profile.

Again, when I put the Home Hub back, did the same thing.

I remember in the past when I first went max and was trying to push up the sync speed I actually shot myself in the foot by being to hasty with it and dropping from around 1200K to 400K which of course set the IP profile to 256K for a day or two.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 02:18:19 PM »

Yes, it is a bit irritating. Blip logic is supposed to stop it happening if the low speed sync is only a once-in-a-fortnight (or less) event, but it's still quite easy to get caught, and it takes three days to regain the previous higher speed.

Eric

[Edit] That was a reply to number 7 of course. Soms nipped in there while I was posting it. :)
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 04:17:19 PM »

-- Move Router (i use 2 in my home network) to the main tel. line (used to be on and extention line of the main socket)

I know it's not my field, (so apologies beforehand if I am incorrect) but I thought you could only have one (1) router on a system?

Jameseh

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 04:36:45 PM »

You can only have one ADSL Router plugged in.  It's possible he's talking about having an ADSL Router connected to his phoneline and a switch connected into that.

My ADSL connection actually works with my Netgear Router plugged in and my housemates HomeHub plugged in at the same time, but upstream sync gets restricted to 128Kbps and the downstream speeds seem to half (although nothing happens to downstream sync) which I found quite interesting.

mikk

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 04:50:58 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for all the replys!!

just an update on my 2100:

Line mode    G.dmt         Line state    Show Time    
Latency Type    Interleave         Line Up Time    00:02:30:00    
Line Coding    Trellis On         Line Up Count    1    

Statistics    Downstream    Upstream    
Line Rate    5248 Kbps    448 Kbps    
Noise Margin    8.6 dB    11.0 dB    
Line Attenuation    43.0 dB    27.0 dB    
Output Power    19.5 dBm    12.5 dBm

Its synced at a higher rate than the HH speed wise as the screen shot up there was taken pre phone addition. Are those stats good? I think my SNR could be better dont you?!

The line has stabalised much faster than expected, so im pretty happy with that, just the reconnections that im worried about (connection drops and then connects randomly) as you can see from the line it happened 2 and a half hours ago but that might have been the bRAS updating i suppose..

As Jameseh said, i did have my 2100 linked to my TP-Link router and used it as a switch/ WAP connected by normal network cable...

soms: i did the exact same thing, changed routers willy nilly and slapped a 500kbs limit on my profile! sorted itself out within a week when i realised what i'd done.  Thanks v. much for the 'waiting' tip on changing routers i'll remember it for any future moves.

Kind Regards

Mikk

mikk

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 06:22:03 PM »

Hey guys,

just updated the firmware on my voyager 2100 to 2.18 (was 2.14)

now getting these stats:

Line Mode    G.dmt         Line State    Show Time    
   Latency Type  Interleave    Line Up Time    00:00:44:37    
   Line Coding    Trellis On    Line Up Count    1    

Line Rate    1216                  448    
   Noise Margin    11.0 dB    15.0 dB    
   Line Attenuation 43.0 dB    26.5 dB    
   Output Power    12.4 dBm    17.1 dBm

What is Line Count?

My margin has gone from 9 to 13 ish whilst typing this..

I think my speed will increase over night (hopefully)

my power outputs have changed by quite a bit.....opinions??

My other problem:

Statistics                                                                   Downstream    Upstream    
   Line Rate                                                                1216            448    
   Noise Margin                                                            14.2 dB       15.0 dB     
   Line Attenuation                                                  43.0 dB             26.5 dB     
   Output Power                                                         12.4 dBm         17.1 dBm     
   K (number of bytes in DMT frame)                           39                15    
   R (number of check bytes in RS code word)             12                  16    
   S (RS code word size in DMT frame)                          4                 8    
   D (interleaver depth)                                                  16                  4    
   Super Frames                                                        173025            173023     
   Super Frame Errors                                               12325              15     
   RS Words                                                          2941443      1470695     
   RS Correctable Errors                                             867947           13693     
   RS Uncorrectable Errors                                    106125             0     
   HEC Errors                                                             10626             0     
   OCD Errors                                                              292                 1     
   LCD Errors                                                                 0                 1     
   ES Errors                                                                   0                  0

Is it just me or are there WAY too many errors in there??

I think this may be being caused by my wireless phones (talked about in the first post) which are far from great--could anybody rec. any decent wireless phones that don’t kick out so many damn errors?

Ps note the SNR change again compared to the first stats in this post!

Kind Regards

Mikk (King of massively annoying and amazingly long posts)

mikk

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 06:32:53 PM »

Line just went down and up a few times (Last up date for atleast 2 hours i promise!(got athletics training))

Line Mode    G.dmt         Line State    Show Time    
   Latency Type    Interleave         Line Up Time    00:00:07:33    
   Line Coding    Trellis On         Line Up Count    5    

Line Rate    1568    448    
   Noise Margin    14.3 dB     17.0 dB     
   Line Attenuation    43.0 dB     26.5 dB     
   Output Power    12.3 dBm     17.6 dBm     
   K (number of bytes in DMT frame)    50    15    
   R (number of check bytes in RS code word)    16    16    
   S (RS code word size in DMT frame)    4    8    
   D (interleaver depth)    16    4