Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Updated and New Pages  (Read 4119 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Updated and New Pages
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:43:40 AM »

ADSL exchange checker

The adsl checker has been updated so that it now shows the Broadband Access Market Status.

I believe this list to be the most up to date than you will find from most other places on the internet.
For example my own exchange has been Market 3 for at least 10 months but every other checker still has it recorded as Market 2.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Updated and New Pages
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:49:58 AM »

ISP product and price list and ISP Price Comparison.

Whilst updating the ISP product prices it has become apparent that more and more ISPs are now starting to differentiate between IPStream and LLU pricing.

To make this clearer, both the ISP price search + compare and ISP price list, now have a new format which show much more clearly the pricing between LLU and IPStream.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:07:33 AM »

New Page - OFCOM Broadband Access Market Classification.

As new BTw pricing came into effect in January, this may now soon start to impact more on ISP pricing and some ISPs have already started making differential charges to their customers depending upon what exchange they are connected by and its market classification.

I noticed last week that Orange now has many different levels of pricing not just depending on whether you are LLU or IPStream, but also depending upon if your exchange is a Market 3 and has been de-regulated or not. Plusnet will also be launching new products today which depend on whether you are on a Market 3 exchange or not, and passing cheaper savings on to the customer.

I dont like the fact that broadband has now become 2 tier and its something Ive written about many times in the past going back many years when OFCOM first talked about the Margin Squeeze test.  I was strongly against it at the time as I felt it would introduce a two-tier broadband system...  and now unfortunately as new BTw pricing starts to come into effect its now here. :(

As a result it is imperative that I did something with the adsl checker to reflect the most up to date situation..  and also create a new page which explains OFCOMs Broadband Access Market Classification.

Whilst it is good that certain exchanges have now been de-regularised...  theres still going to be a fair few consumers who are stuck at higher priced adsl due to OFCOM not allowing BTw to reduce their prices on Market 1 exchanges  and/or compete more fairly on Market 2 exchanges with the LLU providers.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 07:16:49 AM »

Excellent improvements.

I notice that Entanet is missing from the product price list; is that because they are in the process of changing their packages and prices?
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »

Its not deliberate Eric - it is entirely to do with the VISP situation and how the pricing differed from all the different resellers.
I know AG never carried Enta pricing either because of the same situation...  and if I start adding say abcISP, then defISP will want adding...., then ghiISP, will say youve added abc and def so why wont you add me..  Since enta has so many visps this could become a problem.  If there is now one basic cost for all, then I will happily add them. 

I do take a lot of the major ISPs prices from product feeds/subscriptions which help keep me up to date with any pricing changes and then there are some ISPs that asked to be added promising they would keep me up to date of any product amendments, then never bother and I have to go rummaging round sites periodically. :(

I do understand where youre coming from with the likes of the more popular ones such as ADSL24 or UKFSN.. but then theres a few more that are about too.
Do you know if the visps are more starting to align with each other now than what they used to?  If one of them had a product feed then I could to a 'generic' Enta resellers.

-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 12:45:28 PM »

Do you know if the visps are more starting to align with each other now than what they used to?  If one of them had a product feed then I could to a 'generic' Enta resellers.

I think if anything, the visps are tending to drift apart as a result of the recent Entanet upheavals. Several seem to be seriously considering changing to a different wholesale supplier. ADSL24 and UKFSN are offering the standard Entanet pricing at present, and represent a good chunk of the total Entanet business, but I see your point about needing to be even handed with all of them.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »

adsl24 + ukfsn seem to be offering similarish pricing so what Ive done is added some of the accounts based on their pricing.
I'll then wait see what happens when they review in March. :)
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 02:57:53 PM »

I'll make a note to keep an eye on it.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 03:46:41 PM »

Thanks - I do sometimes look in the Enta forums to see whats happening but I dont/am unable to monitor everything thats going on.
So if you see something before me - gimme a nudge :)
-----