Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Error Message - Address Not Found  (Read 3074 times)

sonicview66

• Just arrived
Error Message - Address Not Found
« on: February 12, 2009, 02:28:35 PM »

As I am new to this Forum I hope you will understand if I am not posting this thread in the right place.  My concerns are as my subject matter indicates, When I try to connect to a particular web address, I receive the above message.  This happens on both IE7 and Firefox.  I run Windows Vista Home Premium.  I use AVG Free Antivirus version 8 and use the Windows Vista Firewall. My ISP is AOL and they provide a Netgear router.  I am able to connect to all other sites except those starting with www.snipurl.com/  I followed the thread on MTU and settings are 1492 Local Area Connection and 1492 Local Area Connection 2. I have also printed out all the other ipconfiguration details should anyone need to know what they are.  I would be grateful if anyone can offer any assistance on this matter, bearing in mind that I am at  beginner level.  Frustrated Silver Surfer.
Look forward to the replies.
Sonicview66

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Error Message - Address Not Found
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:19:18 PM »

Hi and welcome.

I suspect that this is a firewall issue. Do you by any chance get the same result with tinyurl, e.g. http://tinyurl.com/ocix ?
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »

Sonicview, When I selected your link I get a message asking if I want to allow it to read my clipboard.

My reply to that is "Most definitely not"

So it would not surprise me in the least if it's not a blocking setting that is stopping you from at least accessing that particular site.

For some strange reason since entering that site I am now unable to alter my text without it deleting the next letter. Same as in word when the over-type function is turned on.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:48:16 PM »

OF - did you accidentally hit your Insert key on the keyboard perchance?

After checking what was on my clipboard I decided to allow it, and the site appears to just paste any text into the URL box. For example if you copy a url, then go to snipurl.com, it'll paste it for you.

So I don't THINK that's going to break the site even if a firewall is preventing clipboard access. Don't know what it is that's causing your error though.

Does http://www.snipurl.com/ on its own work?

Also, can you describe the error, perhaps take a screenshot of it, as I'm unsure in what context the error is occurring :)
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »

Lets see if the problem is still happening with my typing.
Although I have just replied to another post without any problem.
(That was typed and altered without any problem)

I have just tried the original link again and now I will try and alter some text.
(Nope problem does not seem to be happening again)

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

edit
Chris.
Anything is possible, but I did actually think of that at the time.
Am going to try that now.

Yes that seems to have been the problem.
I must have hit the wrong key which I use to change over the KVM switch.

Sorry for any possible false alarm.  :-[
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 05:53:38 PM by oldfogy »