Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: IE8 RC1 testing  (Read 2728 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
IE8 RC1 testing
« on: February 16, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »

I'm testing IE8 RC1 x64 currently. (The Jan 2009 release 8.0.6001.18372 in fact). I'm only really testing the x64 build (the 64-bit app) under Vista x64 SP1.

Anyone want to share their experiences with it?

I wouldn't under any circumstances recommend using it on your main machine unless you're very careful.

IMO it's still _a long way from release quality_ and doesn't remotely deserve the title RC as basic things with the UI don't work properly and it experiences little temporary hangs for a second or so at times. But it's presumably feature-complete and so is at late beta quality so is worth testing if you want to take the time to report problems.

This website is a fine test case exposing bugs in IE8's user interface and specifically the implementation of edit boxes in the UI. Making a post by entering a length piece of text really makes IE8 RC1 freaky.

Again you have been warned, on no account install it on your main machine or only machine.

Imagine.

• Reg Member
Re: IE8 RC1 testing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:23:18 PM »

Again you have been warned, on no account install it on your main machine or only machine.

I agree. I tried both x86 and x64 editions (dual-booting xp x86 and xp x64) There are too many errors especially during videos and uploading files, even IDM can't integrate but thats another issue, the list could go on in fact but I will spare you my rant  ;)

And as for RC1 I don't think so either but as with most of M$ software it will take a while for there to be any plausible reason to upgrade  :)
Imagine™

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57:28 PM »

To anyone wanting to "have a go":

IE8 isn't released yet, so no one should think that RC1 is in any sense an "upgrade". And there's no criticising a product that doesn't exist yet. The whole point is that it is buggy, that's why testers are able to make an important contribution. There is no conceiveable reason to be using it unless you are willing to report bugs and are able to withstand the possible damage.

There is a risk-free alternative if you have a powerful machine with a vast amount of RAM: You can run it inside Virtual PC 2007 (free), a VHD file is available as a free download.

When it actually appears IE8 will be a vast improvement though, giving truly standards-compliant CSS support for the first time in the IE range. IE8 will improve further on IE7's already unmatched security when running under Vista, indeed increasing its current lead in terms of security over other browsers that can run on Vista (as unfortunately Firefox, Safari and my favourite Opera never rose to the challenge of implementing a similar low-rights split design). So it will be the only really secure browser for Vista users that also offers standards-based accurate rendering.  (See http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/02/09/528963.aspx) Just hope that the others pull their fingers out now. Rumour has it that Firefox 4 might finally deliver this critical design feature.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:46:07 AM by Weaver »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »

I've also been looking at IE8, first beta 2, then RC1.

RC1 is a HUGE improvement over Beta 2, but still nowhere near a finished product. I think the way it's all 'shiny' and enticing on Microsoft's website is designed to trick unsuspecting users into installing it, to be honest.

As with the other warnings, DO NOT install this on your main PC, unless you know what you're doing. If you do, be prepared to accept that it doesn't work properly yet, so have another browser installed, just in case!
Chris