Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help with Modem chipset identification?  (Read 9213 times)

adslgeek

Help with Modem chipset identification?
« on: February 15, 2009, 11:39:20 PM »

Hey there,

I was just working through trying to ID modem chipsets and having the chipset ID from Kitz has been an awesome help for me!

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm

But I have found a few more that I have not been able to ID, and was wondering if anyone else has had any joy or recognised them - for a lot of these modem IDs, they are just in HEX, so I have converted to ASCII, and you can often read the chipset from there, but these ones have me stumped!

TCTN   
CXSY   
STMI   
BCLA   =Billion / Old Alcatel??
CTA   
ITEX   =ITEX
CTI   
TM   

Those below look like a manufacturer ID
CBAL   
LABC   
CSCO   = CISCO
NTGRTM   
MB   
GPN   

DLink   = DLINK
PRNT   
SHC   
NPSG   
ANDV   
Spn   
Hdbgarea   = Zyxel ??

System version ID   
12.4(11)T   

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! :-)
I have always believed that helpdesks should be there to help.

I retain this preposterous notion despite the commonly held belief that they are there to blindly answer calls.

adslgeek

Re: Help with Modem chipset identification?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 01:31:42 AM »

I think I have worked out a few more of them:

NTGRTM  = Netgear
STMI       = ST Micro
TCTN       = Texas Instruments (I missed it from Kitz list!)

I have noticed that for a heap of the ID they feature the Micro icon, but with other chipsets, so I was wondering if they were manufacturing, but using other chipsets eg µGSPN is the record, but I am thinking that it was Globspan but with Micro doing the manufacturing.

I retain this preposterous notion despite the commonly held belief that they are there to blindly answer calls.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 01:51:24 AM »

Hi adsl and welcome to the forum

Unfortunately some of the people on here tend not to be night-owls, so it's not that you are being ignored "they've gone to bed" (beauty sleep and all that)

So please have a little patience and know-doubt someone will reply to you soon.

Not me though, I don't know the difference from my ADSL & DSL

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 02:47:19 AM »

Tip: - Some routers (such as the billion/3com)  may read the code in reverse.

TCTN - Trend Chip Technologies Corporation.
STMI - STMicro (Alcatel) (on the list)
ANDV - Analog Devices (ADI) (on the list)
BCLA - Alcatel - (reversed)
CBAL - Alcatel?
LABC - Alcatel?
TM - Thomson?
NTGRTM ---- NTGR = Netgear - not sure what the TM on the end means though
GPN - Globespan (chipset)
NPSG - GLOBESPAN (reversed)
Spn - SPANNET?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:00:45 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:16:29 PM »

NTGRTM ---- NTGR = Netgear - not sure what the TM on the end means though

Might it be meant Netgear™ i.e. trademark?
Chris

adslgeek

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:15:52 PM »

Hey there,

Thanks for the help it is great - just one thing I have noticed as well - B500 is often at the start of these HEX ID strings, (which translates as µ) and it was indicated that this means ST Micro, while it makes sense, I am not entirely convinced of this because for those that are displaying µ at the start when viewed from the DSLAM, this is then converted into the words (United States), so I am suspecting that this might be that the first 2 digits of the ID (often dropped when viewed from DSLAM) is some sort of country ID.

Kitz I will private message you the details of what I have put together when it is starting to make more sense to me, so you can update the modem chipset list. BTW I am a big fan! I wish my site could be a quarter as good as yours!

I have some more modem ID trends from the DSLAM view that I was trying to work out below too - if anyone recognises them:  ::)

The Serial on the left is an example Serial format that I found a trend of and they seem to be modem serial numbers, and some of them are indicating firmware versions etc.

I put a description of what the trend I saw looked like. I just picked out those that were the most common.
Some were just the MAC address whish is easy to ID, but there are others there too.

Serial    Details
350811024080   A 12 digit serial number
FHK12452DDD0   A 12 digit serial number
dr29148005003   A 12 digit serial number
DR35156000378   A 12 digit serial number

CMC21H20   8 Digit Serial Number starting with C (eg CF, CMC, C0, CP[space])
CQB01G500138   A 12 digit serial number starting with C
CP0848TFZPN36315250   A 12 digit serial number starting with C
CF651G502457               modul   A 12 digit serial number starting with C

FHK0926106Bn%   10 Digit serial number starting with FHK

004-D240-A8J 003-1209-INT   First 3 blocks are Firmware of Speedstream 4100 series, and second is serial number

12345679abcdx   A string of sequential numbers

I+]          Hdbgarea   Random text with Hdbgarea embedded
VHdbgarea   Random text with Hdbgarea embedded

123456789abcdx   A sequence number - was used on a Cisco, but also other places

96348GW-10_001cdfc401b9   

System Version Number   
00000309000031393138414500A4410200   34 digit HEX serial

261A3201   8 Digit HEX serial
261C3201   8 Digit HEX serial
271A3201   8 Digit HEX serial

31322E34283429543100000000000000   12.4(4)T1 [1-9]
32303036303630323030303030303030   200606020 (Date)

adslgeek

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 03:18:25 AM »

Just as a heads up, when trying to ID modem identifyers, DEFINITELY reverse the characters because I have picked up heaps of other chipsets and manufacturer IDs from that.

Spn - SPANNET? - I am jsut going to put that as GSPN = Globespan Because I have seen heaps of that sort of thing elsewhere.

I will keep working on this, and share what I uncover.
Cheers,
ADSL geek
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:26:25 AM by adslgeek »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 11:17:22 AM »

>>> when trying to ID modem identifyers, DEFINITELY reverse the characters because I have picked up heaps of other chipsets

mhmmm me too which is why I mentioned it :)

>> Spn - SPANNET? - I am jsut going to put that as GSPN = Globespan Because I have seen heaps of that sort of thing elsewhere.

Be careful !!!  Dont guess if you dont know.
Globespan normally id as GSPN or shortened to GPN ....  or obviously the reversal of such.

Although I'm not 100%...  certain hence the ?   and why its not up on my main site as I dont like to mislead if Im uncertain about anything. 
But I do believe that it is SpanNet routers that id as SPN

[edit]
If you do a google I think you will find it most likely is..........  as their models id as say SPN 2500 SPN 2510 ;)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »

WTF!!!!

I would be obliged if you would kindly take down your ISP compare page which is a direct rip off my code and wording.

It takes me hours each month to maintain and update that page... and its not nice when someone takes a direct copy and pastes it into their own site.
Even more so when you only select those ISPs that you recommend that will pay you commission.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 01:13:34 PM »

That's outrageous.
  Eric

adslgeek

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:52 AM »

I have taken the page down now - I had a contractor from overseas doing research on the ISPs page, and they had emailed me a summary of plans that were related to the ISPs that were affiliates as a starting point (and I was going to go through and check it was correct) and then get them to work through the rest of the plans for other ISPs that I had listed (but as you know most of these tasks can take a while!).

I am just making my way doing my site, and I would absolutely hate to be doing anything that would be dodgey like this intentionally. And even worse anything that would annoy you. In New Zealand, your site is really well respected, and we are often taking your concepts and then there will be a flurry of activity in say gpforums.co.nz where we all research and research things like say MTU etc.

It takes me  bloody ages to do the research on modems, ISPs etc myself, so I can 100% relate to you on that.  Because it was taking so long, I had started getting some help from an Indian virtual assistant (through odesk.com).

I just work for a NZ Telco, and was wanting to put into words some of the problems and mis-undertstanding about ADSL that I see most people have daily.

But this is certainly not what I was trying to do.

I am going to go through my other sections to make sure there wasn't other stuff setup that I was not aware of.

Please accept my apology, cause like I said I would give my eye teeth to have a site even half as good as yours, but I bloody wouldn't want to do that by way of ripping you off! Or anyone for that matter.

If you notice anything like this again, please let me know, but I am also going to go through it with a fine toothcomb over this week to check that there isn't other stuff like that.

Really really sorry,
Jay 

anything