Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Openreach socket and Cat 5 extension cabling  (Read 16363 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Openreach socket and Cat 5 extension cabling
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 04:52:27 PM »

1) Disconnect the bell wire from all the extension sockets

HP and I are not entirely in agreement on this, but it won't do any harm and might help

2) Tidy up the taped together wires with a junction box

Worth doing for reasons of tidiness and reliability

3) (Not ever ever ever plug a phone straight into a socket without a splitter again)

Definitely :)

As an aside, is it possible to make a guess as to what sort of speed I could get when ADSL2 comes to my exchange with these results?

To answer this we would need to see your router stats.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »

is it possible to make a guess as to what sort of speed I could get when ADSL2 comes to my exchange
If you post the detailed stats from your router, including attenuation etc.

Ooops - sorry Eric!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:55:22 PM by HPsauce »

TWHH

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 05:03:06 PM »

How does one double filter a DECT phone?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 05:13:24 PM »

Plug phone lead into filter. Plug filter into another filter. Plug that filter into socket.  :P

(if shared with a router the router RJ11 cable MUST go into the filter plugged directly into the socket)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 06:40:04 PM »

just to clarifi.

One way you can tell cat5 cable over standard internal cable is the outer insulation may appear rippled, it feels rippled if you pinch the cable and run your thumb and forefinger along the cable.   Cat5 has many more twists for each pair of wires. The idea being if in close proximity to any current with medium to high frequency the twists to a degree help cancel out any noise pick up by induction. So for instances where there are several digital cables in close proximty like a comms cabinet. there's less likelyhood of one cable overhearing a signal off its neighbour to a detrimental degree.

In the case of normal internal telecom wiring using cat5 is dotting the i's and crossing the t's, to do a 100% quality job.

new v old wiring. just the fact it's brand new wiring and may be fitted precisely to standard dosn't mean it's not venerable to interference problems. often it's more a case of whatever wiring is either by bad luck perfectly in tune with an interference source or it's just bathed in so much emf anything metalic/ionic would pick up the noise.

Star wiring v daisy chain/bus wiring.
     Split schools of thought as to which is better. I belive it's more a case of which will end up being more in tune with a local emf source.

Star wiring from an bt perspective is a phrase used to describe a situation where extention wiring or other apperatus has been connected to the line before the master socket. The main issue with this from the end users perspective is if you're trying to fault a line by removing the face plate on the master socket, unbeknown to you and dispite using the test socket , you may still have something connected to the line and this may be the cause of the fault to which you're trying to break down the location of.

i-plate/bell wire choke v disconnecting all wiring apart from ports 2&5.
    The effect of a bell wire with broadband is more acute when this is traditionaly connected to the master socket. To a degree the master socket with this wire starts to vaugely resemble a circuit diagram of a basic radio reciver. the choke significantly interupts the bell wires ability to act like an antennea.
thats why the bell wire is a particular suspect if your broadband performance is noteably different with and without the internal wiring connected.

Other than the above effect the next possible issue is if the internal wiring is picking up emf to cause a problem regardless of wether it's connected to a master socket. this is where dissconnecting all wires except 2&5 may help. Only problem here is if its wires 2&5 which are causing the problem. this is where the full dsl faceplate comes in. this keeps your extentions running as far as normal voice telephony is concerned but your dsl only works from the faceplate at the master socket.

If your extention sockets have a capacitor still connected then the bell choke will work at the master socket, but all your extention sockets will behave as unchoked master sockets so rendering the choke in the actual master useless.

The 2 ways of using the dsl away from the master socket in this situation. first the router plugged into the master socket and the computers connect to this via ethernet cable/wireless/a mains fed medium set up (as Walter described)

The second is a data extention kit. I carry them on my van but so far I hav'nt seen them on sale. Its a cat5 cable which plugs into the dsl output of the face plate and runs up to 30m to an rj11 socket to which you can fit the router away from the master socket. Also an extra long dsl cable (the one which connects between your microfilter and router will do the same thing although both these last 2 are (to a lesser degree) still potentialy venerable to the inital emf problem your internal wiring is suffering from.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:04:48 PM by Ezzer »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 06:41:43 PM »

>> Ooops - sorry Eric!

No apology needed (or deserved) :)
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 07:16:31 PM »

Just to add one more thing to Ezzer's excellent description:-

If you wish to get the best possible protection you could use Cat6 FTP cable. Foil twisted pair cable which has a tighter twist on each pair, a twisted plastic centre core which separates the pairs and a foil sheath with an uninsulated drain wire. The drain wire should be earthed at one end only to prevent circulating currents adding noise again. Due to its construction this cable is thicker than other types even though the copper cores are the same diameter. It should be laid with care not stepping on it and not forcing it around very sharp bends, particularly if it is being used for its usual purpose of providing a gigabit Ethernet network.

Walter

TWHH

• Just arrived
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 07:19:54 PM »

OK pulled out 2 & 5 everywhere apart from the taped together extension as described earlier. Not yet double filtered the DECT phone. Getting the following:

Your DSL connection rate: 5504 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1560 kbps

I'd be really interested to hear if there is an 'expected' loss between the Master Socket DSL rate and extension sockets. I think I could be entering the realms of diminishing returns as I try and ferret around for other possible tweaks.

Thanks once again

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 07:38:32 PM »

I could be entering the realms of diminishing returns
Indeed.

One thing I would do is seriously look again at a filtered master socket faceplate, separating the ADSL and voice signals at the optimum point.
Obviously I don't know your house, but remember when placing a wireless modem/router:
1. It only uses 12V DC power; you can easily extend the 2-core power lead yourself (just don't reverse the polarity!).
2. You can have almost any length of cable from the filtered faceplate to the router, just use the correct spec STP type as sold, for example, by ADSLnation.
3. You can install wireless repeaters if coverage isn't ideal and some of these also have LAN connections
4. Powerline type adapters can also be used to extend the network reach

Something to consider and I think would allow you to do it suitably tidily.  ;)

TWHH

• Just arrived
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 05:10:49 PM »

OK team...

Have tidied up the insulated taped togethr extension with a junction box (not so sure my wiring was is that much better, but hey, you never know!)

Didn't manage to get another filter today so tried just unplugging the DECT phone from the power and the telephone line to see what effect this would have

Got the same result from BT's speed test - ~5450

So I reckon I've got as far as I'm going to get really.

Thanks for all your help. I hope to be able to 'pay back' to this forum, but without the knowledge I doubt I'll be able to. If ever anybody asks me for advice about a misbehaving computer I just tell them to get a Mac  ::)

Still am keen to find out what the 'normal' or 'expected' difference between a master socket and an extension is... Is my drop from ~6500 to ~5500 about normal or does one normally expect far less of a difference?. Bit gutted that my 'new' sped of ~5500 is just a bit too short to keep me out of BT's IP Profile of 4500 (which hasn't been applied yet - still on 1750). In reality I'm dropping 2Mbs from the  aster socket as result of the IP Profile thing. If 4.5Mbs becomes unbearable I'll give some more thought to isolating at the Master, but it really would be a messy job.

Thanks again

Pages: 1 [2]