Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How do I remove the American spelling in Word 2000 (Solved)  (Read 3570 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
How do I remove the American spelling in Word 2000 (Solved)
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:40:14 PM »

My spell checker only shows English (US) (American) and obviously I don't want American but can't find any way of setting it to English (UK).

If I go into "Spelling & Grammar > Dictionaries > English (UK) is selected"
But it still shows as checking with English (US)

If I go into "Tools > Language > Set Language, I can select English (UK) as the default, but the spell checker still shows English (US)

No matter how many time I go into Languages in Word 2000 to select English UK I can't find a way of disabling the American English setting.

Have also checked the language settings in Control Panel and English (UK) is the default setting.

Any help is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:42:23 PM by oldfogy »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: How do I remove the American spelling in Word 2000
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »

Have you tried, in Word

tools>options>spelling and grammer>dictionaries.... to see if you have an American dictionary lodged in there ? If there is, I believe that can override the other options that you have tried.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: How do I remove the American spelling in Word 2000 (Solved)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:38:34 PM »

Thanks TD, but I had tried that without any success (just worded it differently)

BUT,

I opened one of my old documents to check that, and it was fine, so I decided to "Copy & Paste" into the old document and see what happens.
I left the old text still on the screen and pasted in the middle of it (fortunately) because as it was checking the old text with the UK dictionary, it suddenly reverted over to the US dictionary as soon as it reached the new text.

So what I did was to highlight all of the text then go back into "Tools > Language > Set Language, and strangely enough neither the UK or US dictionaries were highlighted this time, so I selected UK and set it as the default and "viola" 2 hours later it now works properly.
 :clap:

I don't really know why I did that, but had to try something I suppose.
So somehow it knew the documents had been created, one with UK and the other with US settings.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 07:12:55 PM »

Thinks..........must read posts properly before jumping in with drivel......sorry.... :-[

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 07:27:14 PM »

No, thanks for the suggestion, it may well be that I ended up in a different place with following your advice which was different to what I had typed.
(Just happened to lead to the same place)