Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Multi user email  (Read 3963 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Multi user email
« on: March 21, 2009, 12:35:58 PM »

Hi gang,

I just wondered if anyone has any pointers about how to achieve the following. I have made a couple of attempts using the Email setup guides on Plusnet who are my ISP, but haven't been all that successful so far.

Up until quite recently, I have been the sole user of my Windows XP (SP2) Home system, using it for browsing, email, a bit of programming and various other things. My dear lady (or SWMBO), who also has had access to her own computer for mainly email, and a few other things has become quite disillusioned with the online world after picking up a particularly nasty piece of malware called Privacy Components. She has now decided that she is going to get rid of her computer and make do with an email account on mine, as really that is all she uses it for. Ok, that's the basic things out of the way, so I'll outline what I have tried so far.

1) Create a new user on my system with her name

2) Create a new mailbox on Plusnet

3) Follow the directions on Plusnet for setting up email, specifically Outlook Express - and this is where it gets a bit strange, as everything seems to work OK, but if I try emailing her from my own Plusnet account or even a Hotmail account, the message gets sent, but doesn't seem to end up in her mailbox, and has therefore disappeared into the ether somewhere.

Has anyone using Plusnet done this and been successful. If so, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

TTFN

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Multi user email
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:25:41 PM »

Sorry but I do not use Plusnet, but we do have 10 email accounts for our family  :'(.
I use Thunderbird from mozilla, a free download  ;). (much safer that OE  ;) )
It's a long time since I have used  OE.
As you very sure that all that you have set up is correct ?.
Some things stopping the mail are ......   I used a , instead of a . (comer instead of a fullstops ), misspelled names, not used correct passwords, not used the correct user name.

Can you send from your wifes account back to her account ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 01:42:12 AM »

> but if I try emailing her from my own Plusnet account or even a Hotmail

Unfortunately the free version of "Hotmail" is not recognised by OE.
(Unless things have changed very recently)

The chances are that in the past your wife was accessing her email direct at the hotmail site.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 08:43:43 AM »

That is still correct, OF, accessing Hotmail via Outlook Express is a paid for service.

However, if you go to http://download.live.com/wlmail and download/install Windows Live Mail as an alternative, or replacement, to Outlook Express you can access Hotmail and all other web based email clients for free as well as using it as a normal POP3 client.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:26:24 AM »

Check the spam filter level - it may be set at high so it only receives certain emails.

Theres more info on controlling the spam filter here

http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/spam_protection_guide.shtml

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything