Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help please - Belkin Wireless Router  (Read 4471 times)

Newbiesos

• Just arrived
Help please - Belkin Wireless Router
« on: March 27, 2007, 11:13:42 AM »

Hi All,

I would appreciate any help on this please.

In summary;

I am running a home wireless network. My broadband provider is wanadoo and my router is a Belkin G+ MIMO. I connect to the network using from both a PC (laptop running XP) and a MAC (OS X 10.4)

The network has been running fine for 4 months. A couple of days ago I started having a problem. The router appeared to be functioning normally and both my laptop and MAC are able to connect to the router. However, I am unable to access any websites. The browser (Internet Explorer or Safari), just thinks about it for 3-4 minutes and then stops trying (page cannot be displayed). I have reverted back to the speedtouch USB, and I connect to the internet OK.

I have spent countless hours on the phone to Belkin (who advise me that my router is working OK) and wanadoo who assure me that the connect is OK (I have had a line check done and using the USB modem the connect is OK)

I have checked and rechecked the settings in my wireless router and they seem fine.

I can ping some internet addresses. e.g. ping yahoo.com, I get 4 replies (0% loss), however I cant access the website.

Can anyone figure out what the problem is.

Any help would be gratefully received.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Help please - Belkin Wireless Router
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 11:36:18 AM »

Hi Newbiesos, welcome to the forum.

I thought initially that this was probably a DNS problem, but if you can ping sites by name then it's not that. I'm struggling to think what it might be, but is it possible that you've changed the firewall settings in the router? Do you get the same problem with both wired and wireless connections?

Eric
  Eric

havelock

• Reg Member
Re: Help please - Belkin Wireless Router
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:33:01 PM »

Hi Newbiesos,

Can you log onto the administration panel of your router (by putting http://192.168.2.1 in the address bar) on either of your machines? If so then you know that both your PC's are physically capable of returning a web page from an Ip address and something is preventing external connections to the internet. Have you tried accessing a website by putting the IP address into the browser also? http://64.233.183.104 is google for example.

I've attached a link to a file I'd like you to run on your PC (while the problem is persisting)

http://darkmoment.com/tools/Network.Tester.bat

If you're a bit wary about running/downloading executeable files from strangers, feel free to create your own with the following code:

netsh int show interface >> report.txt
netsh interface reset all
netsh int show interface >> report.txt
route print >> report.txt
route -f
route print >> report.txt
ipconfig /displaydns >> report.txt
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /all >> report.txt
ping 127.0.0.1 >> report.txt
ping www.google.com >> report.txt
ping 64.233.183.104 >> report.txt

If you then take the content of the created file "report.txt" and paste it here it'll give a good idea of whats going on

Rgds
Havelock

anything