Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: connection speed  (Read 21208 times)

adslgeek

Re: connection speed
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »

Your attenuation is so low that I can only guess that the exchange is in your front room. :)

For fear of wading into a discussion with a completely different track, I did quite a bit of analysis of synch rates, and one thing I have seen in the NZ market anyway is that where you are <6db attenuation from exchange, then I have seen the average synch rate drop by about 2 Meg, and stability drop by about 10-15%  for these really close customers.

Quite a few of my helpdesk guys have advised using an extension cable and from my tests I have seen it adds about 3dB attenuation for every 10metres of cable. I know all the reasons not to do it (electrical interference / it is poor quality) but in NZ I have seen this work a treat.. But I have not seen that proposed or listed as a known issue in any of the UK forums.

I believe that BT uses DLM (Dynamic Line Management) so that may not be a factor in the UK.
Also when provisioning does UK tune the profiles on install?

From my understanding, I thought that interleaving off does improve latency, and that can in turn tend to speed up the (by improving the latency you see an improvement to the overall speeds)  ala

http://www.wand.net.nz/~perry/max_download.php

So my vote would be to remove it, not just for the latency but the possible improvements to throughput.

And all the associated MSS / MTU / TCP receive window etc.

I am pretty sure that doesn't help grumpy old man, but I was keen to hear if I understood it wrong..
And also another vote from me for PN / James support skillz

Cheers,
ADSL Geek
I have always believed that helpdesks should be there to help.

I retain this preposterous notion despite the commonly held belief that they are there to blindly answer calls.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2009, 12:47:58 AM »

GOM

Have you heard anything official  back yet from PN on your ticket?   James has said he had a look at your account but cant see any reason why there should be a problem.

Is the problem still there and are you still seeing the appallingly slow speeds?  Since you have a netgear router, then its not going to be the MTU issue I was thinking about that can occur with the Voyager 21xx series routers.

It may also be worthwhile grabbing a copy of NetMeter 1.1.3, and then watching what 'realtime' speed it records when downloading a file from http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 09:39:35 PM »

Sorry hadn't been back to the thread Kitz and then you contacted me by personal message.

Yes I am still progressing matters with plusnet but seem to be getting nowhere.  They have carried out tests on my line, see results below, and have asked me to run the BT speed checker for a period of 24 hours.  I have already done this, seem to be going round in circles and my speed continues at not much better than dial up at 500 for download.  Could my router be on the blink, and how would I know?

Any way these are test results I have from Plusnet:

Upstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors Cell Count Speed
20 0 0 39192581 448

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
16 0 0 314388659 7616

DSL Max Data

BIP Interface Data

Current line rate Line rate change timestamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated ProfileTimestamp Maximum Stable Rate
6500 2007-07-27T03:27:15 N 2007-07-26T00:00:00 7392

Fault Threshold Rate Interleaving Flag ServiceOption ServiceOption Status ServiceOption Update Timestamp
5913 I 1 THIS LINE IS STABLE AND WELL WITHIN ERROR/RETRAIN LIMITS FOR THE CHOSEN SERVICE OPTION (ILQ=GREEN) 2008-03-30T12:03:01

CIS Interface Message :Non Advanced Service

NTE Details

Equipment Status Power Status BypassStatus
In Service NTE Power On Bypass Not Activated

Outcome Summary

Test Outcome Test Description
pass OK.

Upstream Link Info    

Loop Loss    Loop Loss Add Text    SNR Margin    Errored Seconds    HecErrors    Cell Count    Speed
3        20    0    0    39192581    448

Downstream Link Info    

Loop Loss    Loop Loss Add Text    SNR Margin    ErroredSeconds    HecErrors    CellCount    Speed
5        16    0    0    314388659    7616

DSL Max Data    

BIP Interface Data    

Current line rate    Line rate change timestamp    Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated    ProfileTimestamp    Maximum Stable Rate
6500    2007-07-27T03:27:15    N    2007-07-26T00:00:00    7392

Fault Threshold Rate    Interleaving Flag    ServiceOption    ServiceOption Status    ServiceOption Update Timestamp
5913    I    1    THIS LINE IS STABLE AND WELL WITHIN ERROR/RETRAIN LIMITS FOR THE CHOSEN SERVICE OPTION (ILQ=GREEN)    2008-03-30T12:03:01

CIS Interface Message :Non Advanced Service    

NTE Details    

Equipment Status    Power Status    BypassStatus
In Service    NTE Power On    Bypass Not Activated

Outcome Summary    

Test Outcome    Test Description
pass    OK.

I hope some of you more technically adept will understand the results which show my line is OK. 

gom

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 10:11:23 PM »

I really dont know what to suggest now GOM.   :'(

From what James has told me, they suspect Exchange contention - but to be totally frank Ive not been overly impressed with the normal lines of support and how long this is taking to get resolved for you. :(

There used to be a test you could perform to check and rule out ISP contention, but BTw withdrew easy access of this facility a few years back.  It doesnt appear to be contention through ISP centrals - PN lit another one within the past few days, and have been regularly installing new pipes, so you really shouldnt be seeing problems with http.  If it is exchange contention then it will follow you which ever ISP you go to unless its LLU.

Monitoring your speeds on a regular basis is a good idea.  It may also be useful to sign up to a thinkbroadband speedtest login so that your results can be retained and hopefully you can see a pattern.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 10:37:54 PM »

Thank you for the reply.

I have just used your link for speed test and got 1425, but speedtest.net gave me 500 at same time, curious which one is accurate?

A further reply has been sent back to plusnet and I await their response.

Once many thanks for the help you have given me with this problem, I will keep persevering with plusnet and BT there must be a solution, after all I used to get 4000 so something must have changed.  It makes a mockery of these advertised speeds of up to 8 mbps, and I live very close to the exchange.

Nigel

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2009, 11:54:14 PM »

I'd be inclined to believe the thinkbroadband one. 
Speedtest.net - particularly the Maidenhead one, for me seems to record much slower than my real throughput speeds.

However even at 1425 is slow.  I can 100% sympathise with you..  Ive been there (and below) several times with exchange contention as this exchange periodically is reknown for it... and why at one point several years ago I opted to go on dslmax premium.  Unfortunately this option does cost more but for me it was worth it.
(its a BTw charge and Plusnet is one of those ISPs that offer it).  Even the LLU operators seem to get exchange contention here :(

You didnt say which account type you are on with Plusnet.
Depending which one you are on, you could perhaps ask PN if they would temporally change your package type to help identify if it is exchange contention.. 

Another thought -what LLU providers are available on your exchange?
From the list on the right hand side of the adslchecker.
Also whilst you are there,  look and see what Market your exchange is classified at - it will say something like  Broadband Access† Market 3

-----

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2009, 10:17:04 PM »

My account with plusnet is Plusnet Broadband Plus up to 8b (lol).

There are no LLU providers at my exchange.  Market classification is 1. 

Plusnet have been back in touch and want me to use their bt tester again over a 24 hour period which I am now doing.  The first test gave me an actual profile of 63kbps!

I will follow up your suggestion to get PN to temporarily change my package type and see if it makes a difference.  I will also follow up dslmax premium.

gom

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 01:32:58 AM »

>> There are no LLU providers at my exchange.  Market classification is 1. 

:(

>> I will follow up your suggestion to get PN to temporarily change my package type and see if it makes a difference.  I will also follow up dslmax premium.

I want to ensure that you do not pay any additional funds.. nor do I suggest that you pay extra to upgrade to max premium yet.

Which software firewall are you using.  Because your router has a hardware firewall and uses NAT, it would be quite safe to turn it off temporarily.

Did you also try grabbing a copy of Netmeter and checking your throughput speeds on there from fuller.zen as suggested here
Running netmeter will show your realtime speeds and also show if any other network traffic is being generated that could be slowing your recorded speeds down.

>> The first test gave me an actual profile of 63kbps!

TBH that is downright appalling. 
I really am not sure what is going on..  but to be perfectly honest, I would be requesting my MAC which may at least kick start PN into action.. because this has been going on long enough.

How much bandwidth do you use per month?  Do you use p2p?  There may be other packages/ISPs that would suit your needs and/or be a bit cheaper.

-----

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2009, 06:06:28 AM »

From what James has told me, they suspect Exchange contention

Hi GOM, if you know anyone in your local area with ADSL you could ask them - they don't have to live next door or even in the same street - they just have to be on the same exchange which is easy to check.  If it is congestion at your local exchange, and they are served by it too, they should be having similar problems to you.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 10:34:14 PM »

Plusnet are now going to involve their supplier, BT?

Interestingly speeds have since yesterday evening increased to around 4000 kbps and have kept up at that level today.

I don't use p2p and my bandwidth is not high as I don't do alot of downloading.

gom

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 12:39:04 AM »

>> Interestingly speeds have since yesterday evening increased to around 4000 kbps and have kept up at that level today.

Thats interesting - because if anything, your speeds could have been lower last night. 

There was a major outage over the weekend that knocked out some ISP's centrals. - This is the BTw MSO sent out which is aimed at the ISPs.

BT can confirm that, following significant damage by a third party to cables in a deep underground tunnel, a large number of customers in parts of East London are currently experiencing a loss of service.

The above had a knock-on effect of taking out some ISPs Centrals.  I know that Plusnet were affected and they lost some of their centrals, one of which still wasnt back up by this evening... so if anything you'd expect speeds to be a bit slower until the problem is fully resolved.

>> I don't use p2p and my bandwidth is not high as I don't do alot of downloading.

You may be interested in the Value package @ £11.99 for 10GB.  You can see how it performs to your existing package side by side here.  Select the relevant products from the drop down box.  Value starts at £5.99 but thats only only market 3 exchanges - its £11.99 for a market 1 or 2 exchange, but its still a slight saving over what youre paying now.

Warning that if you change you will enter a new contract period.  However its worth pushing in your ticket for either a free new router... or push further and categorically say that in view of the problems youve been having that you wish to be transferred without incurring a new contract period.

Alternatively depending on how much you do use, look at Newnet £10.72 for 1Gb or £12.67 for 3GB.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:24:13 AM by kitz »
-----

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2009, 06:50:35 PM »

Hi
I was thinking of moving to PN  :-\ from the dreaded T .Customer support  seemed good up to now . But this problem of GOM has me concerned that PN is going the way of others . Is this a one of problem  ?.
Regards Jeff
zen user

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2009, 07:51:16 PM »

Hi Jefbb,

Perhaps I'm letting experience get the better of me rather than waiting to see what develops.

As PN are part of BT there must be a reasonable chance that their culture and operating procedures will eventually become unrecognisable from those of the giant ?
This was the November quotation from their new CEO who used to be General Manager of Voice Propositions in BT Retail’s consumer division.:-

"I am very excited to be joining Plusnet and looking forward to building on Neil and the team's past successes. My primary role will be to focus on how we can drive more growth, using the backing of BT to help us achieve this"
    Anthony Vollmer, CEO Plusnet

which is part of Anrdrew Ferguson's new at:-
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3789-new-ceo-at-plusnet.html

Kind regards,
Walter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2009, 10:17:49 PM »

The new CEO at PN towers stuck his head over the parapet a few weeks back and asked for questions from users via the forums. Some very good questions were asked.
Unfortunately he hasn't seen fit to respond in anything like reasonable timescale, or even apologise for the delay, so there's a lot of p***ed-off people there. Cnicism is inevitably rife.  >:D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 12:18:50 AM »

I could say more,  but I'll leave it at Im not best pleased at the apparent lack of response of late.
-----
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything