Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 'Fix-it'  (Read 6400 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Windows 'Fix-it'
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:25:47 AM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Windows 'Fix-it'
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 01:57:13 PM »

The button helps Windows users fix common problems, such as restoring the Internet Explorer icon to the desktop and enabling a DVD library in Vista's media centre.

Seems like a good idea.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 05:20:51 PM »

Hmm yes that does look like a good idea. Nice one for the heads up Phil :)
Chris

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 05:24:40 PM »

Would I be totally cynical to suggest that windows is so crap that M$ have to keep inventing new ways to fix it?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 05:47:10 PM »

Would I be totally cynical to suggest that windows is so crap that M$ have to keep inventing new ways to fix it?

Well, the thought did cross my mind too ;) But to be fair Microsoft can't do right for doing wrong nowadays. IE8 is looking (IMO anyway) to be a good browser - a nice improvement on IE7, but I'm obviously reserving judgement until final release!

We all know Windows isn't the best OS out there, but it works (eventually, after over 7 years XP is finally approaching what I'd consider release build quality!!). Joking aside, it does work very well for millions of people every day - I'm certainly not being a 'fanboy' here, but I don't think MS deserve quite as much bashing as they get from people jumping on the I-hate-Microsoft bandwagon (I'm not referring to you Floydy, but I mean in general).

Of course they didn't really help themselves with Vista, so maybe not... ;)
Chris

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 06:11:36 PM »

You're right Chris, XP is pretty well solid, and possibly the best OS Microsoft have ever released - it even looks like it might outlive Vista.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:29:59 PM »

As I have said before I have never used XP so I can't comment. I have been using Vista since April 2007 and tbh I have no problems at all. I am very pleased with the way it performs.  :)
I can understand people who still use XP and have no wish to change(Why change when you are happy with something)I just wonder at some point whether Microsoft will force your hand  .............  :hmm:

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 12:37:44 AM »

I have been using Vista since April 2007 and tbh I have no problems at all. I am very pleased with the way it performs.  :)

As a great many other people are too. On a high spec PC and recent hardware with good drivers for Vista, it does perform very well indeed.

It just has too many niggles and weird broken stuff (slow copying of files across networks being the example that came to mind) to be accepted by the IT industry's techies.

The way MS are pushing Windows 7 at us, and so quickly (relatively) after the release of Vista, shows that they know they've not had the success with Vista that they had hoped for. Or maybe Vista was simply a mass-market test to see what the public really wanted in the already-planned "Windows 7"?? (cynic? moi?)

I can understand people who still use XP and have no wish to change(Why change when you are happy with something)I just wonder at some point whether Microsoft will force your hand  .............  :hmm:

DirectX 10 is the lure for gamers, supposedly it really is that much better than DX9 (I've never seen it, so can't comment).

Then there's other Vista-specific software that might just have enough new features to make it worth the upgrade.

So I guess the forcing of the hand will come from software vendors (who may just happen to be MS partners ;)), perhaps moreso than from MS directly. It will happen though, eventually, unless the world moves over to linux, which isn't going to happen anytime soon!!

Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 01:34:38 AM »

Some of the main problems with Vista are.

1. Not easily allowing you to do what you want with "YOUR PC" unless you delve into god knows what and remove so many permissions it gets to the stage that virtually everything that can be disabled gets disabled, although it's not that easy to find out how to disable most of the stuff.

2. Then you have the case of Vista radically changing some of the names in Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs" to name but one.

3. Most network set-up complaints seem to come people trying to set-up a network between Vista and XP.

At least when XP came along it gave us the option to view as in Windows 98/SE/ME. (Classic or Common view)
So therefore the changeover was not so drastic.

For people (such as yourself UB) who knew no difference, there was nothing for you to compare Vista with, so you accept what is given and just carry-on with it.

OK, I also have a Vista PC, and if I were to only load and use programs without wanting to change some of the actual OS settings I also would be saying, "nothing wrong with Vista"

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 08:30:25 AM »

I agree that xp has been their best product by far.I used to use windows 2000 and that was there worst.As for vista,since ive only used it for 5 minutes,even the likes of my mate Tom Royal will know how to use it better than me.As for windows 7,i wont look at that for at least 10 years,if im still alive.
Always looking for freebie HQ

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 01:20:41 PM »

The 3 worst MS operating systems ever?

1) Windows ME

2) MS-DOS 4

3) Vista

And the 3 best?

1) XP