Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: boot.ini  (Read 3789 times)

Imagine.

• Reg Member
boot.ini
« on: February 08, 2009, 05:47:47 PM »

Hi all,

I was wondering why when I add  /pmtimer to the end of my boot.ini file it and reboot windows will fill up one core of the CPU before using the other(s) there is a performance boost but I was wondering why does adding this command make a big change ?  :)

all tips welcome
Imagine™

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: boot.ini
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »

/pmtimer by itself I don't think will do anything. The correct switch is /usepmtimer

It tells the system to use a steady clock for timing instead of the CPU frequency - and apparently on some AMD x2 systems, not having the switch in boot.ini can cause some programs to run at double speed!

So it should simply sort out the timings for programs and make them run smoother.

Sorry I can't explain it any better, I haven't looked into the whys and wherefores yet ;)
Chris

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:26:32 PM »

thanks for that  mr chris at first i thought it maybe a placebo effect but performance has increased less CPU Usage on web-browsers and even games  :)
Imagine™

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:09:50 AM »

I've tried it too, along with a registry tweak detailed here. I haven't looked into why this should work, if it even is working, but my computer certainly seems smoother, even if it probably isn't any faster overall.

Also, I'm using a 3GHz Northwood Pentium 4 with HT, so not dual core, but it does report itself as 2 processors to the system, and I think it works by handling two threads at the same time, and performing some kind of clever interleaved thread execution on the single main core. So although it behaves like a 2-core CPU to the operating system, it still only has one core, so it probably isn't affected by the timing issue in the first place.

I haven't had the time nor the inclination to try before/after comparisons!!

(I'm probably kidding myself and really there's no difference at all - in fact knowing my luck it'll have made it slower!! :lol:)

Anyway, I'm glad it seems to have worked for you :) What processor are you running out of interest?
Chris

Imagine.

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 10:57:27 AM »

(I'm probably kidding myself and really there's no difference at all - in fact knowing my luck it'll have made it slower!! :lol: )

:lol:  there are quite a few tweaks that will end up ruining your PC its just down to logic, luck and something else i can't remember  :P

and im running an Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140 not as fast as i'd like but it seems to do very well when I stress it  :D
Imagine™

anything