Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tiscali - Unstable download speed  (Read 3381 times)

tigger2000

• Just arrived
Tiscali - Unstable download speed
« on: March 25, 2007, 11:07:06 PM »

Since February this year my download speed has been getting slower and slower despite endless calls to technical support at my ISP Most days I can download at speeds of between 900 and 1100 Kbps, that is until about 16.00 Hrs, after this time the speed starts to steadily decrease and by about 19.00 Hrs my download speed will have reduced to between 150 (or slower) and 350Kbps. This will continue until about 23.00 Hrs after which my download speed will return to the 950 to 1100 Kbps and will remain at this speed until about 14.00 Hrs the next day when the whole process will repeat it's self, my upload speed remains a fairly constant 235 to 250 Kbps. My I.S.P technical support insists that it is a line problem and keep booking calls for B.T to correct the fault but B.T can find no fault on the line. My I.S.P (Tiscali) confirms that my bandwidth had not been capped due to any breach of their fair use policy. My connection is rated at 1.1Mb downspeed and B.T state that my phone line is capable of receiving 4Mb download speed but B.T are unable to tell me if Tiscali are using an LLU on my exchange. Has anyone got any ideas what is going on or has anyone experienced this problem with Tiscali or any other I.S.P ?

Update

Test run between 23.00 Hrs and 15.00 hrs

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user *********** and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of
  957 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.
Your IP address is ******** your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running on Windows XP.
BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:
    For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
    For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
    For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
    For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.
You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet

Test run between 16.00 Hrs and 22.00 Hrs and is a fair average of what I normally get in the evening now, previously it was 150 to 350 Kbps.

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user ***********and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of
  507 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.
Your IP address is ********, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running on Windows XP.
BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:
    For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
    For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
    For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
    For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.
You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet

The results test results from   http://speedcheck.ispconnect.co.uk  (this is the only one that Tiscali will accept results from) and the B.T speedtester are similar during the day but between the hours of 26.00 Hrs and 22.00Hrs when   http://speedcheck.ispconnect.co.uk reports slow download speeds, the result the B.T speedtester will normally be much higher. Any idea why the difference ?
After phoning and mailing my I.S.P most days over the last two weeks the slow download speed seems to have improved by about 100 % but my I.S.P says they have changed nothing, so maybe someone has taken notice at last.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 01:34:50 PM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Unstable download speed
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 02:55:56 AM »

Hi

firstly it would be useful if we could find out which service you are on.

What happens if you try to do a BT performance test.?

350kbps speeds are quite possible if you are on a 1Mb IPStream service - iirc it could be as low as 200 kbps for a fixed 1Mb connection if you have exchange congestion... but it shouldnt be less than that.

If you are on IPStream then theres another test that you could try which totally takes your ISPs routing out of the equation and thats the BTw speedtest.

Your symptoms do show the signs of contention somewhere, but its finding out if its the exchange or tiscali - or a mix of both.

Try doing those tests and get back to us with the results.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker